Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Creating a Pre-activated Windows Restoration CD.

• 22-03-2005 2:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭

I recently installed my home edition from my laptop into my older desktop but had to contact Microsoft to activate it due to the recent change in C.O.A. based activations. Sufficed to say I don't want to have to go through the annoyance of contacting micrfosoft again over the same issue and I'm wondering is it possible to create a boot disk like the one's you get with a new computer or like with the ones you get with earlier dell PC's that would be already activated when installed on the PC they came with that would save me having to go through activating it again?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭Egyptian

Isnt this a little ILLEGAL??

Mods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

If you activate your installation and then take a Ghost/Drive Image/etc. partition image you can restore it in a snap. I lost the recovery CD's to my laptop and re-installed XP Home along with the associated laptop-type utilities to bring the machine to a clean state (including antivirus, anti-adware, firewall, etc.). I then took an image of the (5GB) partition and it came in at a shade under 700MB so it fits on a CD.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Not much point since the activation key is related to a hash generated by looking at your hardware, it would only be usable on that one PC.

it might be as easy as backing up and restoring the wpa files which are specific to your PC.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q305356
    After you restore a previously-activated Windows XP-based installation from a backup, you may be prompted to re-activate the installation.
    an incremental backup is the minimum that is required to ensure that the Windows Product Activation database files (Wpa.dbl and Wpa.bak) are backed up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Thank's for the replies it helps. It's a home Edition that I'm trying to back up but it doesn't have a backup tool like the professional edition. Would Norton Ghost be any good or does anyone know of any other good backup programs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I've used Ghost but in additon to that I partitioned my HD to have a 5GB C: partion where my OS lives. All my data goes on D:. I wouldn't fancy trying to Ghost a large HD unless you've got the time and the capacity to store the Ghost image when it's done.

• Advertisement

No Problem, the only thing installed is the OS itself and all current updates from microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You could take an image of it now but if you ever want to revert to it you will be left with an empty HDD with only WinXP installed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Infini wrote:
    Thank's for the replies it helps. It's a home Edition that I'm trying to back up but it doesn't have a backup tool like the professional edition. Would Norton Ghost be any good or does anyone know of any other good backup programs?
    do a search for NTbackup.msi on the CD ;)

do a search for NTbackup.msi on the CD ;)

Thank's mate. Also got norton ghost so that should do the job. :)

Advertisement