Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help needed in publishing area

Options
  • 03-08-2001 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

In have my site construceted, everything's ready to go.
    I have no webspace.
    I can't use FTp, as it never connects, never logs in or other boll0x.
    I want a site like www.syxpak.whatever.com or similar. irish or UK if possible.
    The less bull**** the better.
    I've tried 50megs.com(boll0x), portland.com(hasn't sent authorization email yet), homestead (abhorent).
    Found boards.ie/members/syxpak to be the best (wonder why) though i can't FTp to it and its only 500KB.
    I tired loading my webpage but its going all screwy. I created it with Dreamweaver and i don't think i setup the site definition right, and that therefore formatted everything else.
    If anyone ahs any tips onhow to structure a site i'd be much obliged.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Syx,

Getting a site online is a piece of cake, but can go a little pear shaped as you have already seen. What I did is got my ISP to host my site, they usually give some free web space. Your ISP won't stick banner ads or popups on your site, but they will monitor the contents of it.

As regards structuring the site, I recommend you place web documents on the root of the site, and places resources (E.g. images, in an /images directory off root). Dreamweaver is good at doing all that structuring stuff for you.

If you are writing any back end software for the site, you might find difficulty getting hosted (the way you want). There is another thread running on this board at the moment that is listing all the kewl places to get hosting if you are writing back end stuff.

FTPing to the site is a doddle. Set up your free web space first and then use anything from FTP Explorer to your DOS command line ftp tools to upload the site. When you register for web space you will get all the FTP info you need to connect.

If you have any problems or questions on the above, mail me (if it has something to do with FTP) or simply reply.

;-phobos-)

Advertisement