Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good HTML Editors / Software- Recommendations

Options
  • 08-08-2001 8:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering whether anyone can help me out here because any research I've done up to now has confused me further!!

Can anyone recommend a good HTML editor or software package. I'm looking for something that will automate alot of a tasks and make updates a lot quicker.

I'm not after a WYSIWYG neccesacarily, because I still want to be able to script stuff manually, but something perhaps in between this (if such a wonderful program exists !!??)

I'm currently using a variety of freeware stuff- Mainly Evrsofts-1st Page and Visicoms-Ace Html Pro V.4 and its just getting a little tedious.

Any recommendations need not neccesarily be Freeware but preferbaly. Also If anyone can verifiably confirm the superiority of any program over others I may be tempted to put my hand in my pocket so feel free to suggest!

"Did You Double Dip that Chip??"
    "Timmy" to George Costanza
    Seinfeld

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Well, as we have discussed before, I use Editpad Lite (www.jgsoft.com - it's free) and PHP for a lovely easy to maintain site, but there is a bit of hard work initially getting it all working together nicely.

Probably the single nicest feature of php is the include() function.

I can say:

include("./navigation.php"); and it grabs the navigation.php file, executes any other php code within that (and more include() calls too) and outputs the lot.

You can just put that one line of code on every page, and have the navigation in one spot. Can do the same with headers, footers, you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I'm still trying to get my head around this PHP stuff so bear w/ me. Bascially is it like javascript in principle....ie-

<script language="JavaScript" src="menu.js"></script>

the menu.js then is another file which you can alter- so as long as the above script is on a page it will automatically update when the menu.js file is updated??

Is that the basic principle ??

Nothwithstanding this and me actually mastering php, I'm still looking a good HTML package as well- So if you've any suggestions

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

there are a few good HTML editors around i think... i use wysiwyg editors always, so i'm not too sure which ones are the best, but i have seen a lot of really nice sites done with Dreamweaver.
    All of the programs have an option allowing you to edit source, and you can switch freely between the visual interface and the html interface to edit it manually.

Dreamweaver is expensive but you can get a trial version off the macromedia website http://www.macromedia.com/

u can also get the full version for free if you really want it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

I would go with Allaire Studio or the cheaper version Homesite

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Dreamweaver - choice of most pros and it's what I use myself (either regular Dreamweaver or Dreamweaver UltraDev for ASP support).

Allaire products are good too, demo them and see what you think!

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,901 ✭✭✭Vexorg

If cost is an issue and you want to hand code try First Page from http://www.evrsoft.com/ , its very like homesite but more importantly its free, handy if you are working on site and the client still has not got you the required software.....

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:
    I'm currently using a variety of freeware stuff- Mainly Evrsofts-1st Page and Visicoms-Ace Html Pro V.4 and its just getting a little tedious.
    </font>

Thanks "Vexorg" [re: Evrsoft] but I've got it covered!!
    Its not bad, the expert mode is quite customisable and easy to use. AFAIK there is a vers.3 coming out soon- since May Supposedly- but no sign of it yet!

The general consenus so far seems to be for Dreamweaver !?
    So in essence would I be going far wrong if I did plumb for it??
    Does anyone know what its like for importing html pages done manually. Say for instance importing a page I've done on 1stpage and then want to convert it so I can edit it in wysiwig mode- Is their likely to be probs??

BTW To "Illkillya"
    Whats this about getting my hands on it for free?? Please expand.....

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

[This message has been edited by 80project.com (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I agree with Kharn... Dreamweaver all the way, baby!

Didn't Macromedia BUY Allaire, btw?

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 80project.com:

Does anyone know what its like for importing html pages done manually. Say for instance importing a page I've done on 1stpage and then want to convert it so I can edit it in wysiwig mode- Is their likely to be probs??

</font>

Can you add anything to the above Niall ??

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

You will have no problems editing pages you made with other editors in Dreamweaver.
    I used notepad and 1stPage 2000 before I got it for all my sites and you just open them up in Dreamweaver as normal.
    You can work in WYSIWYG, layout and code or just code mode in Dreamweaver, so that should suit you too.
    If you want to really take advantage of some of the easy update features (like templates etc) for your existing sites, you would need to create the sites again based on a template you would create for the site in Dremweaver.
    But lots of stuff like find and replace and changing links sitewide will work without problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement