Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Whats the worst road in Ireland?

Options
  • 22-03-2005 5:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Have you had damage to your car by potholes? What is the biggest pothole in Ireland? Any pics? C.V. joints, cracked alloys. Smashed suspension? did you get compensation? What did you do to get it? What can we do about the state of our roads? I had damage to a Nissan. Two shocks, two C.V. joints. Enquired from Meath Co Council said I was to late|

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

I don't have any pics, but the road heading out of town towards the AIT in Athlone is dreadful. Tons of potholes all over the road. It's been like that since they put down pipes/cables 2 years ago!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This is prolly better suited to Commuting/Transport.

One road which I'm sure has long been improved was a back road between
    Naas and Blessington the R410. Once sometime in the early 90s I diverted down there due to traffic hell in Naas. Its fair to say there was'nt a single yard that was flat or smooth - just one disturbance after another for 7 miles.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Poz3D wrote:
    I don't have any pics, but the road heading out of town towards the AIT in Athlone is dreadful. Tons of potholes all over the road. It's been like that since they put down pipes/cables 2 years ago!

I see they're digging up that area again today.

I work around there and its brutal. Without fail, once a month or
    so its dug up. I always go around the back way though, although
    I see thats closed as well these days. Bas***ds.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

A lot of the regional roads around Enfield and Kinnegad are awful at the moment. This is probably due to the large volumes of construction traffic for building the Kilcock-Kinnegad M4 motorway.

I have been pretty lucky in the last 10 years as regards pothole damage. I've wrecked 5 or 6 tyres in potholes but no wheels despite usually having alloys on my cars. I've had a few anti roll bar bushings wear prematurely and had to get a new track rod end once, potholes were probably a contributory factor. No problems with shocks, CV joints etc. (touch wood) I have never claimed off the council for any damage.

BrianD3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

the road up to St Itas hospital in Portrane is utter ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Are there badly surfaced roads here? Can't say that i've noticed...... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭lilulila

The back road between bridgetown in wexford to kilmore quay. its so bad theres a grass strip in the middle of the road and the grass is long lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

For a major road the outside lane of the Rock road going south is in appalling nick between Carroll and Kinsella and Frascati.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

The N2. Some parts are grand but overall it sucks. Greater than average tractors on it, and not 1 stretch of Dual Carriageway. Once you hit Tyrone you notice a massive difference with plenty of climbling lanes to get you past the slow coaches and then you hit Lifford and it's back to muddy, crappy roads again. Go Ireland!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 MustangCobra

Are there badly surfaced roads here? Can't say that i've noticed...... ;)

Are you using public transport or something? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Are you using public transport or something? :D

Hydropneumatic suspension on the DS ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The main road between Waterford and Kilkenny, not for its surface, but for its utterly dangerous nature. Love those low rail bridges placed on 90-degree corners - low enough that artics have to go through in the centre of the road.
    Also, when stuck behind a tractor (and there are plenty on this stretch) there is pretty much no opportunity to overtake until you're almost in either Waterford or Kilkenny.

argh! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There was a notorious stretch of carriage way on from Limerick to Ennis a couple of years ago. It was where the Shannon airport/town to Limerick slip road merged on the overtaking lane of the inbound carriage way. :eek:

People who were used to that road knew that you just had to floor it when entering from that slip road and then move over to the inside lane. Don't know how there were no serious accidents at that spot especially with tourists coming from the airport.

Fortunately the NRA had some wisdom and built an over pass there in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

I think it was RTÉ Radio 1 did a report on an NRA study recently which cited the Dublin - Ashbourne & Monaghan - Clones as two of the worst & most dangerous in the country. Can't find any references to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

bazz26 wrote:
    There was a notorious stretch of carriage way on from Limerick to Ennis a couple of years ago. It was where the Shannon airport/town to Limerick slip road merged on the overtaking lane of the inbound carriage way. :eek:

People who were used to that road knew that you just had to floor it when entering from that slip road and then move over to the inside lane. Don't know how there were no serious accidents at that spot especially with tourists coming from the airport.
    Ah yes, I remember it well. Leaving Shannon to go to Limerick you took a left, got in the right lane, came on to the right lane of a short three lane carriageway and had to cross the middle lane to get in the left lane before you ran out of road or got hit by someone exiting the Ennis-Limerick road by entering your lane to turn to Shannon. It's nowhere near as fun now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

well i wouldn’t call it the worst road in Ireland but it has to come close.. i was driving through Waterford 2 days ago and BOOM into a Pothole the size of a Swimming pool.. and Boom Blow out... (see pic attached) i couldn’t believe it this pothole was big enough to rip a wheel right off i was lucky to get away from it with only a blow out..
    i cant understand... if you pay for a service and your not happy with the service you stop paying right? but why is it we pump all this money into road tax and yet its a Cack service we never see any improvement on the roads.. but if we stop paying we get nicked!! its a rip-off!! i have been reading in the papers about 40million euro going on roads in Waterford or something like that. but do they fix up the existing roads? NO they go for these Huge new bypasses, and big ring roads.. cos that way they get ther fat heads in the paper for being a great man opening huge roads! cos if they just fixed up the existing roads people would just say "so what.. that’s your job, now get on with it" and there would be no big ceremonies...

the road i live on is like beirut at the best of times all i hear all day is skids outside the house... why? cos instead of resurfacing it like they said they would 2 years ago, they come along and through a few loose chippings down and drive off!! job done! leaving (on one occasion) an 80+ year old man loosing control and nearly sh1tting himself on the loose chippings (btw. they don’t put a loose chippings sign down either)

sorry for the rant im just sick and tired of replacing Tyres and Shocks prematurely..

Macker

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

one puncture, two buckled wheels , not just dented rims and a damaged suspension arm.

we still have the fix the potholes for the election mentality here.
    come an election there will be some lads sent out to put tarmac in the potholes. of course if it ain't hot enough or they don't use a steam roller to force it in properly then the first big tuck will rip it out again leaving a hump on the far side nearly worse than not having done anything about it.

we've all seen patches of road where it's just patches of tarmac and holes all over.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

half the reason some roads are so bad is because they are constantly being dug up and never fixed up properly afterwards. There needs to be more restrictions/fines to prevent utilities etc ripping up roads and not fixing them afterwards. On the Meath side of Ashbourne, the road has been in bits for years and recently they were doing more road works and now the road is nearly impassable it's that bad. How can people be allowed to let the roads get this bad? Motorists are the most heavily taxed people in the country yet get very little return for their money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

well i wouldn’t call it the worst road in Ireland but it has to come close.. i was driving through Waterford 2 days ago and BOOM into a Pothole the size of a Swimming pool.. and Boom Blow out...

Macker

Which road was that on?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

mike65 wrote:
    Which road was that on?

Mike.

outside rice's gusethouse on barrack st.
    its a section that was dug up i think for the building thats going on in the barracks.. but the tarmac they resurfaced it with sunk down a few inches..

macker

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Would the response to "Whats the best stretch of road" be a much shorter and less irritating list and you all know where it is..... at the end of the rainbow!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

AMurphy wrote:
    Would the response to "Whats the best stretch of road" be a much shorter and less irritating list and you all know where it is..... at the end of the rainbow!.
    try finding a good back road in kildare,sorry there is ;) mondello :D:D

Advertisement