Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL to make announcement on Broadband

• 22-03-2005 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭

http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgJwXgMbrmqQw.asp

According to this, NTL will make an announcement on their Broadband product within weeks in response to Eircom etc. upgrades. My guess is that they'll follow UK's lead and upgrade to 1MB/2MB/3MB with the downside that they'll start enforcing caps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

kin9pin wrote:
    http://www.examiner.ie/pport/web/Full_Story/did-sgJwXgMbrmqQw.asp

According to this, NTL will make an announcement on their Broadband product within weeks in response to Eircom etc. upgrades. My guess is that they'll follow UK's lead and upgrade to 1MB/2MB/3MB with the downside that they'll start enforcing caps.

Fantastic News................... fingers crossed !!! IMO they should decide by the 8th of April. 2 weeks...........

Caps............................ Arghhhhhhhhhh............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Whoah whoah whoah, stop wearing those conclusion jumping pantaloons right there sonny.

Are you speculating enforced NTL cap?

The UK upgrades went ahead with any change or further enforcement of caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

YAY!

That's the ****!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Has anyone else noticed though that there seems to have been a slowdown recently in extending NTL bb in Dublin? It seems ages since anyone posted here about being offered it where it was not available previously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats because they are currently focusing on an area of west Dublin called Galway and an area of greater West Tallaght called Waterford......and then the rest of Dublin and Bray in about that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

dub45 wrote:
    Has anyone else noticed though that there seems to have been a slowdown recently in extending NTL bb in Dublin? It seems ages since anyone posted here about being offered it where it was not available previously.

I got them in January in Cabinteely! They were not available here before...SOOO impressed they came here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

Zyox wrote:
    Whoah whoah whoah, stop wearing those conclusion jumping pantaloons right there sonny.

Are you speculating enforced NTL cap?

The UK upgrades went ahead with any change or further enforcement of caps.

From reading ntlhell forums, it seems that although NTl aren't enforcing caps at the moment they do plan to this year. Now I've heard this before from NTL so here's hoping that they'll just "forget" to enforce them again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

All the off-topic stuff has been split off to this thread and moved to nets/comms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Yeah I had a feeling that'd happen, the thread totally turned into something else. On a side note, who here likes cake?

Seriously tho I'd love my 1.5Mbps connection to be bumped to 3Mbps... it'd be sweeter than Jaffa Cakes... and that's saying something!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

3MB's for 50 quid? Man that'd be sweet! :) On another note I heard that NTL was doing trials in England for 18MB/s connections. Something to do with HDTV as well.

• Advertisement

Out of interest,anyone got a full list of places where ntl broadband is available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

That will be a bummer if they bump up the speed as it will make moving to smart less attractive for 35 yo yos versus 24 for line plus 50 for NTL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Zyox wrote:
    Whoah whoah whoah

:D:D

although i too love jaffa cakes i would probably choke on one if i got charged from NTL for exceeding a cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

I would like to add that i got the 1.5 MB NTL.
    Just over a month ago and its new to the "Knocklyon" area.
    :p

I've had it since November. Whaddya think of it?

Infini wrote:
    3MB's for 50 quid? Man that'd be sweet! :) On another note I heard that NTL was doing trials in England for 18MB/s connections. Something to do with HDTV as well.

Info here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I wish to god they would hurry up and upgrade the rest of Ballinteer, its pathetic at this stage that they have not upgraded the rest of this area. If they upgraded I would get their bloody digital TV package as well.

Was there not some sort of commitment to a roll out schedule with the granting of all the licenses that these guys got and if so should they not be penalised for non-compliance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

gandalf wrote:
    I wish to god they would hurry up and upgrade the rest of Ballinteer, its pathetic at this stage that they have not upgraded the rest of this area. If they upgraded I would get their bloody digital TV package as well.

Was there not some sort of commitment to a roll out schedule with the granting of all the licenses that these guys got and if so should they not be penalised for non-compliance.

To be fair they are cleaning up still after Cablelink !! the network is and was a mess !! Not thier fault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

To be fair, how many years is it since they took Cablelink over and there has been very little upgrading done fullstop.

They are great at firing up press releases etc but as regards action there is very little. Pretty pathetic.

gandalf wrote:

I think that commitment was waived when NTL got themselves into financial difficultes. At the time they would have had no money to pay the penalties anyways!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

For some reason my dwnloads off a lot of servers have been just over 400-420kb on servers,
    I think I have just gotten myself a 4mb off them a few months back by accident

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

kin9pin wrote:
    From reading ntlhell forums,

Where are these forums?

P.

oceanclub wrote:
    Where are these forums?

P.

http://forums.ntlhell.co.uk/

Lenny wrote:
    For some reason my dwnloads off a lot of servers have been just over 400-420kb on servers,

What servers are these and how big are the downloads?

Lenny wrote:

You lucky bastard!! :eek: BTW 400kb x 8 is 3.2MB When did you get the upgrade?!?!?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Been off blueyonder.co.uk, updates off ea, bit torrent
    downloads have been over the 200-300mb mark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

wow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Lenny wrote:
    Been off blueyonder.co.uk, updates off ea, bit torrent
    downloads have been over the 200-300mb mark

Not a chance id believe you after the other stories,any screen shots of your high speed downloads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

mad m wrote:
    Not a chance id believe you after the other stories,any screen shots of your high speed downloads?
    Screenshots can be faked :P

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Achilles wrote:
    Screenshots can be faked :P
    is nothing sacred :eek:

Advertisement