Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL to make announcement on Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Unfortunatly not... actually here's my latest NTL download speed :P
    Took me a while to get a screenshot of the download as it only appears for like 2 seconds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

haha bull****!

No that's my real download speed... HONEST!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Achilles wrote:
    Screenshots can be faked :P

I know i just wondered what kind of a photoshop he would of come up with.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

That's just the burst of speed you all get for 2-3 secs when dl starts. Then it all goes downhill to my damn 50kb/s

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

That's just the burst of speed you all get for 2-3 secs when dl starts. Then it all goes downhill to my damn 50kb/s

50kB/s? Haven't seen one of them for a while ;)

*rubs his 1.5Mbps connection...*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Achilles wrote:
    *rubs his 1.5Mbps connection...*

do a test here please

http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/initialmeter.php

Ok...
    Doubt me do you? Check the attatchment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

Achilles wrote:
    Ok...
    Doubt me do you? Check the attatchment.

no I don't doubt you I just think you didn't tell the truth ;)

nice speed! :)

you could just paste the link you know(after the test finishes) like this
    http://www.irishisptest.com/bandtest/results.php?kbps=427.6&downloadtime=11.484&KB=599.375&recorded=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭causal

Post the URL after you run the test.
    [edit] Oops, cyberghost just said that already[/edit]

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Diabolus wrote:

Cough,splutter,meh!

I cant look at my 750k connection anymore,our life together is ruined i tell you ruined.

Umm Diabolus, it was a genuine suggestion on my part - to post a link to the url - rather than save a screen capture, upload file etc.

In any event, the question is, will ntl upgrade that 1.5 to 3.0; and will they double all the upload rates too; or will they go small style like the UK: 1Mb/100kb; 2Mb/200kb; 3Mb/300kb;

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

causal wrote:
    In any event, the question is, will ntl upgrade that 1.5 to 3.0; and will they double all the upload rates too; or will they go small style like the UK: 1Mb/100kb; 2Mb/200kb; 3Mb/300kb;

causal

Lets hope they do...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Ok, back to the main topic.

A fella from NTL rang me last night trying to seel me the broadband. Fed me all the usual sales crap, and I retorted with some questions:

Me: I've heard that NTL will be announcing some new broadband packages in the next few weeks. What can you tell me about them?

NTL: Yes, I've not heard much, but we will be at least matching the Eircom products.

Me: So you will be matching Eircoms/Esats 4meg product.

NTL: Yes, we will be matching Eircoms/Esats products.

Me: What about your upload speeds. Will they be increasing?

NTL: We will be at least matching Eircoms/Esats products for uploads speeds.

Me: I've heard that NTL do not allow customers to run web servers from the braodband packages.

NTL: Hang on I'll ask my supervisor......... Ok, yes you can run web servers from the broadband. Our customers can use the broadband for whatever they wish.

The impression I got was that NTL currently have the best/cheapest broadband package available. They intend to also have the best/cheapest package available in a few weeks time. I'm not altogether sure how much yer man knew, ie. speeds up/down, but he was fairly helpful and did his best to answer my questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kin9pin

mmmmm so they're going to AT LEAST match 4MB. That's faster than the UK increase.
    Now, if I can just get over my reservations about sales reps I can allow myself to get excited :)
    thx for the info Sacha, things are looking up!

kin9pin wrote:
    mmmmm so they're going to AT LEAST match 4MB. That's faster than the UK increase.
    Now, if I can just get over my reservations about sales reps I can allow myself to get excited :)
    thx for the info Sacha, things are looking up!

Yeah, take what he said about the 4meg with a pinch of salt. He was a sales rep and they tend to butter things up a bit.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

sounds alot like he knew near on 0 about it at all.....
    its prohibited in NTL's T&C's to run servers(http or otherwise) , iirc...doubt its changed

Darth Bobo wrote:
    sounds alot like he knew near on 0 about it at all.....
    its prohibited in NTL's T&C's to run servers(http or otherwise) , iirc...doubt its changed

Said that to him, and he checked with his supervisor and they said its ok. Maybe a change in the rules or summat.

• Advertisement

i'd ask for that in writing if wuz u :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭spanner_head

I ask for everything in writing from NTL as the customer service reps can't be trusted at all.

I wish they would hurry up and make their announcement.

Darth Bobo wrote:
    Oddly enough it looks like ntl T&C have changed to a new User Policy (NOTE: .pdf file) in the last few days (I was browsing it the other day and servers were still disallowed) But apparently that has now changed:

If you are running a webserver on your own PC you are solely responsible for the security and setup for that server. You are also responsible for all traffic through your server even if you personally did not originate it.

Where the website is held on our servers, you must keep your own back-up copies of any data and files. We do not keep back-up copies of your pages and will not be liable for any loss of your data or files.

You are solely responsible for the setup and security of all servers that you may run on your PC

Other: You may run other servers but be aware that ntl reserve the right to restrict access to them should they cause network problems or should we receive complaints.

You must not connect more than three (3) PC's to the Broadband Services at any one time.

As stated above, the ntl Internet and/or Interactive Services are for residential use only and we do not support the use of VPN.

If it's correct - rock on ntl - and kick the competitions ass with our upgrades pleeeezee, make us proud :D
    causal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well even if you do set up a webserver wouldn't it be pretty slow unless you have about 300kb upload.

That's true enough - let's do the maths:
    1 user accessing a 100 kB page = 1*100*8 = 800kb
    10 users accessing a 100 kB page = 10*100*8 = 8000kb

A personal website would be fine (unless you're real popular like me :cool: ) but a game server would l-a-g. Depends on what your serving and how many want it.

But ntl should substantially increase the upload speeds - I'm gonna keep saying it until they do it :D

causal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

3 machines connected at once to broadband? wonder how they can monitor that! i have my router connected to my broadband connection, 2 servers, my workstation, my imac, and 2 laptops connected wirelessly (and a wireless PDA somtimes). so i think that might be a little out the window. As for the caps, i was on to someone who said NTL will not have a cap cause their network is too small. we see what happens with that. i would like an increese in upload speed, but not a lot of ISPs will do that. Servers at home is sweet (hence my 2). Now, i have a question. they say VPN is not supported. but does that mean you can do it, but its your problem if something goes wrong, like a lot of things on NTL (your own email servers, your own webservers, etc...)

well there are traffic monitoring methods for detecting NAT's, but i'm not sure as to how successfull they would be at estimating how many machines are behind that NAT..
    In my case it would be close to impossible to detect my local machines as most outward connections go via an IPv6 tunnel on me local server....

[EDIT]
    As for the T&C's change i don't think i'm too happy about it, the previous setup detered people from using servers(which can eat up all the bandwidth for local people.....)....which i liked, i've only ever ran into contention issues with NTL twice where my pings avg'd 150ms for no reason on my end and downloads were slow.... Will this make it a frequent occurance?
    [/EDIT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Darth Bobo wrote:
    well there are traffic monitoring methods for detecting NAT's, but i'm not sure as to how successfull they would be at estimating how many machines are behind that NAT
    If they want to, they can do it quite easily. Most TCP/IP stacks assign incrementing ID numbers to each IP packet sent from a particular PC (used for fragmentation and reassembly when necessary). Different PCs will be using different ID numbers, since it depends on how many packets were sent so far. So if NTL see a sequence of IP packets numbered 1001, 49990, 49991, 1002, 1003, 1004, 49992, 1005, etc., it doesn't take much effort to figure out that there are two different PCs involved, even though they have the same public IP address.

Of course, there are ways around this if it becomes a problem...

(There are more advanced tricks based on measuring tiny skews in the hardware clock used on every PC, but I doubt NTL will go to the effort of doing anything like that.)
    In my case it would be close to impossible to detect my local machines as most outward connections go via an IPv6 tunnel on me local server....
    Nothing to worry about then... :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Well all very quiet this week, NTL to up or not to up, lots of talk about the bidders in the Irish times yesterday................

IBB to go to 2 mb
    Eircom / Esat ect 2mb
    NTL 1.5mb ??

This will hit them bad if they dont move ! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Drapper wrote:
    Well all very quiet this week, NTL to up or not to up, lots of talk about the bidders in the Irish times yesterday................

IBB to go to 2 mb
    Eircom / Esat ect 2mb
    NTL 1.5mb ??

This will hit them bad if they dont move ! :confused:

'Course they will.....it's easy for them to do this too....Pound to a shilling it's timing....they know what they are doing.

Advertisement