Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Popup menus + Frames. God give me patience

Options
  • 10-08-2001 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

K,

I am after spending the last half hour coding of a popup menu system for my new site. What I want to do is have a frame at the top of the screen 100% wide and around 100px in height. It's purpose is to act as a nav panel for the site. The nav panel will consist of a DHTML popup menu. But as I was nearly finished it I decided to pop my new nav frame in to the overall multi-frame document. And guess what?, the bloody thing won't overlap the frame below it, making the popup menu invisible to the user. I honestly didn't think this would be an issue coz I have seen popups work on many frame based sites. So what the phuk, is going on here.

Any suggestions, plz

;-phobos-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Morning,

Is the site/page up anywhere?

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

Any examples of Frame sites that use it? Worth taking a look at the code

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Weston - I'll call over to you on Monday evening and help you sort it out. wink.gif
    (in Mayo this weekend).

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

To Phobos:

No intention to plug my site here but...
    I think this what you might be talking about.
    http://home.stauntonline.com

I presume you want to use a dhtml menu w/ frames and have the menu appear overlapping the target frame?? Its quite tricky to manually script, but if want to upload the page somewhere so we all can see what the problem is, I can get back to you if u like??

Also The best place for these probs is....
    www.dhtmlcentral.com

Let us know how you get on!

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

K,

I put it online, for all to gaze @ Here

You can see the index page is divided in to 3 horizontal frames. The bottom one is fine and not related to the problem. But you can see the top frame is supposed to be my nav panel. Which drops a menu which is supposed to overlap the frame below it, but it doesn't.

To save you looking @ my code for file names, the nav panel frame is called: menu.htm.

From here you can see that the menu is working properly on it's own, but draws to the document as opposed to the screen. Also if it isn't too much trouble I would like to to respond to the MouseOver & MouseOut events as opposed to Click.

Thanks for the help lads,

;-phobos-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

I think the main problem your having is that the script your using for the nav menu is not frames compatible.
    Some scripts dont have the necessary events included-ie- like this one

oCMenu=new makeCoolMenu("oCMenu") //Making the menu object. Argument: menuname
    oCMenu.useframes=1//Do you want to use the menus as coolframemenu or not? (in frames or not) - Value: 0 || 1
    oCMenu.frame="targetframe" //The name of your main frame (where the menus should appear). Leave empty if you're not using frames - Value: "main_frame_name"

The best place honestly to find out about this is dhtmlcentral.com. Thomas Bratta, the webmaster has devoted his life to exactly these probs. The "coolmenus" section is downloadable in a zip file and it has all the details you'll need. The great thing also is that it is cross browser compatible, very stable and easily updated!!

I use it on my site- the frames on my "home" page aren't that evident but nav menu crosses over them very neatly. As I said I think the best thing is to start over w/ a Bratta Cool Menu.

Have a think about it!?

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

Advertisement