Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tomcat

Options
  • 22-03-2005 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I am doing a project for college and am trying to use one computer on the college network to access a text file located on another computer I was told I could do this using tomcat. But I appear to have the wrong address. Tomcat is running but my program cannot find the file. Can anybody tell me where I should save the file and what the correct address would be (obviously I'll have to enter the IP address myself). Any help would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,163 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Well first thing I would do is save the file on the remote computer and try and access it from my own pc
    If you cant do that you probably wont be able to do it via your program.
    If on windows pick a folder to share on the remote machine and bung your test file there
    then "explore" to that file on your own PC.
    If that works you should be able to work out the required paths for your program...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

If you're using tomcat to distribute the file over your network/internet, and running a default tomcat setup on windows then the file can be placed in
    Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 5.5\webapps\ROOT

And accessed using http://SERVERNAME:8080/filename.txt

Note that the name is case sensitive.

Bad practice yadayada, and not the easiest way of sharing files, unless you plan on writing a program to retrieve the file on the remote machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Dizz

Tomcat supports webdav so have a quick google and you'll be sorted... googleme

Dizz

Advertisement