Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Browser Problem Help!!!

Options
  • 10-08-2001 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

I am designing a web site using frontpage, and am aware of most browser issues concerning explorer and netscape, the majority I can get around. On one page I have made up a form using tables and I want it centered rather than left aligned. In frontpage this is easy and looks grand when viewed, but in netscape it is all over the place. Anybody experience this and would you have any solutions. Greatly appreciated...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Use DIV's align attribute like so:

<div align="center">
    <form>
    <table>
    your form code
    </table>
    </form>
    </div>

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Oi, I made a post here last night, wonder what happened to it.

As regards netscape, I don't worry about netscape compatibility, if they use it, they must be used to sites looking crap. Use an awful browser, what do you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phaxx:
    As regards netscape, I don't worry about netscape compatibility, if they use it, they must be used to sites looking crap. Use an awful browser, what do you expect.</font>

Yea, that's it, **** your customers, **** your visitors!

- Kevin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lograce

Thanks snake, will mess about with it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by phaxx:
    ....As regards netscape, I don't worry about netscape compatibility, if they use it, they must be used to sites looking crap. Use an awful browser, what do you expect.</font>

Thats not a good attitude. The web is for everyone not just IE5 or Opera users. I'm sure you have gone to websites that said version 4 browsers only and you were pi$$ed about it.

The latest Netscape and Mozilla is the most standard compliant browser around, so if it looks crap in these, then its because someones designed a non standard site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I realise that, and yeah I've seen those little "best viewed in" statements, but what *really* gets on my nerves is when the page actually BLOCKS you if you're using anything but IE. I've seen it on a couple of companies sites, and I just left. Thankfully Opera lets you change the user-agent header that is sent, but still.

When I talk about things looking crap in netscape, I don't mean fancy things like CSS and other fancy, mostly IE extensions and that, I mean simple things - width between table cells for one. Netscape seems to default to something stupid, and it looks awful.

I try to avoid unsupported/annoying things, such as javascript (I've yet to come across anything more pointless, execept perhaps IIS smile.gif) but when netscape doesn't support the standard cell spacing attribute, I'd be pretty annoyed, and likely to just say screw the netscape users. *shrug*

I design in Opera, which I believe is very standards compliant, and do final tests and tweaks then to make it look the same in IE.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Cross browser-ness is a real písser alright. W3C shouldn't setting standards, they should be making laws.

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

[This message has been edited by Discharger Snake (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lograce

Thanks guys...relax eh!

Snake thanks did as you said, all worked well centered nicely in both browsers....thanks.

But I do agree if you make a site up that should be it, viewed in all browsers more or less the same so you dont have to spent hours redesigning pages.

Does dreamweaver support all browsers or do you have to redesign also?

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

Ahhhh but in about a year's time we won't have to worry about Nutscrape compatibility, sweeeeet.

www.gamerseurope.com

Advertisement