Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rig Questions

Options
  • 22-03-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

I was considering getting a new rig. This is something along the lines of what i was thinking:
    AMD Athelon 64 3000 1.8GHz

Corsair XMS PRO 3200 DDR-DIMM 512MB CL2

Western Digital Caviar 200GB S-ATA

XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, Extreme Gamers Ed

Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, nForce4 SLI,Socket-939,

Q-Tec Midi tower ATX TL-MD2

Fortron/Source Powersupply ATX-400W

Cooler Master Hyper 6 CPU-Cooler

Firstly is everything compatable?
    Will i be able to overclock well with that case, power supply and cpu cooler. Will i be able to get much out of the graphics card in the way of overclocking.
    Is this relativly future proof, i know that none of you are physic but you have a better idea of these things than i do.
    How long will it be, rough guess,(again i know no one can tell the future) before it is unable to run new games on the lowest settings.
    Is there any bottle-necks i should change

Thank you in advance for both reading and replying.
    All helpful advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Would drop the case for something NOT Q-Tec, and you need another 512MB of ram. 6600GT should be able to run newest Games on lowest settings for a good while to come, was hearing all kinds of stories about doom3 and HL2 before they were released but loads of people run then with average Gfx cards with no trouble on Medium to Low Quality but if your struggling later just add another 6600gt card in your Sli board. CPU cooler is not very good, if planning on serious OCing you need Water. Read a review on Cooler Here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

thanx jessy. what case would you reccommend. could you reccommend a non-water cooling alternative. what speeds would i get the from cpu with whatever you suggest. i trust that there should be no problem in getting another XFX 6600GT in a good few months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

if you were prepared to spend ~€1000 then this one is good value.

Else case = here

Cpu = this (will be a better OC'er)

CPU Cooler = Something like this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Dont get the freezer 64 if you want to OC. Get an XP-90 or an XP-120.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭neokenzo

Actually, the 3000 will OC the same amount of the 3500. Save your money and get the 3000. You'll probably get somewhere 2.4G to 2.6G if you are lucky. Beware however that the new winchester chips doesnt OC too well.
    I'd recommend you get a XP-90 with a good 90mm fan with at least 50CFM on it. Should cool you cpu good.
    Also if you can strech your budget, get a DFI board. Those boards will help you OC.

• Advertisement

i know that gfx cards aren't the be all and end all but what sort of settings will 1 6600gt run the big three on.

is there a big difference between all the 6600gts?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

What are the big 3?

There should be no difference in performance between the different 6600gt's. Some will have better cooling and overclock better though.

BloodBath

Big 3:Far Cry
    Doom 3
    Half-life 2

Which versions of the 6600gt have better overclocking/cooling? How much of a difference is there between these two
    1)Gainward GeForce 6600GT 128MB 1,6ns PCI-E,"Golden S., Goes Like Hell"(GLH)
    2)XFX GeForce 6600GT 128MB GDDR3 PCI-Express, Extreme Gamers Ed.

What's the story with what i've heard about when you have 2 gfx cards in an sli setup it has some adverse efect on its preformance. are there any other downsides to sli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Not all games get a speed benefit from SLI. Some just plain don't work

• Advertisement

Where can i get a fan for the XP-90. Komplette do not have a seperate fan. Is there a shop that i can buy 1 in, peats.
    Is the Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu CPU-Cooler any good instead

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Get the XP-90c (Copper).
    For fans, an 80 or 90mm Papst is the business.

www.hitide.ie

thanx syxpak. will a 6800 flash to a 6800GT. will i need better cooling than the stock to do that. if yes which cooling.(not enough cash for water)

Advertisement