Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pimp My Ride

Options
  • 22-03-2005 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hi,

I've a Fiat Barchetta that i'd like to repaint and refurbish. The original Magoria design is very good but lacking in finish. Also the paint job is somewhat uninspiring. Its a classical looking car so pimping it aka MTV would be a tad overkill but it definately has potential.

I've checked out on the web and tehre are a few places in Europe that can provide most of the bits. I hav also found a decent mechanic (no easy task in Ireland) who will help with the work but by god I can't find a decent paint shop.

Anyone have any reccomendations ? Any custom paint houses in ireland ?

Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

barchetta wrote:
    Hi,

I've a Fiat Barchetta that i'd like to repaint and refurbish. The original Magoria design is very good but lacking in finish. Also the paint job is somewhat uninspiring. Its a classical looking car so pimping it aka MTV would be a tad overkill but it definately has potential.

I've checked out on the web and tehre are a few places in Europe that can provide most of the bits. I hav also found a decent mechanic (no easy task in Ireland) who will help with the work but by god I can't find a decent paint shop.

Anyone have any reccomendations ? Any custom paint houses in ireland ?

Thanks in advance.....

Please don't. The Barchetta is one of the very few pieces of clean design on the roads today- almost perfectly balanced. Please don't put skirts/spoilers/19" rims/spinners on it. If you must, try to limit yourself to pearlescent paint like the Nuvola colour available on the alfa 156. Sorry, but I can't recommend a someone suitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 barchetta

You're dead right, the barchetta design is top notch (same guy also designed the BMW Z3 would you believe - that should rattle a few cages i.e. which is the best design ?)

The new barchetta, post 2002 i think, has a better nose and rear better than the orriginal. I was thinking of taking the nose and rear of the new one and adding them to mine....what do you think ?

I was also thinking of adding some colour to the interior as everything is black as standard.

And finally, and i know this is really sad, i'd like to paint a white strip right across the bonnet and boot (aka corvette). Very Sterling Moss i know, god i'm sad :)

As for which is better, Z3 or Barchetta....I would say the barchetta, but I'd love the have the Z3's interior al the same.....and rigidity of chassis and engine.....

barchetta wrote:
    You're dead right, the barchetta design is top notch (same guy also designed the BMW Z3 would you believe - that should rattle a few cages i.e. which is the best design ?)

The Z3 is a cartoon car. The barchetta is a classic.
    The new barchetta, post 2002 i think, has a better nose and rear better than the orriginal. I was thinking of taking the nose and rear of the new one and adding them to mine....what do you think ?

I was also thinking of adding some colour to the interior as everything is black as standard.

And finally, and i know this is really sad, i'd like to paint a white strip right across the bonnet and boot (aka corvette). Very Sterling Moss i know, god i'm sad :)

Hmmm. I'm a bit of an originality freak myself, but it's your car. Shouldn't it be two stripes, for the whole shelby cobra/dodge viper vibe?

I once saw a yellow barchetta with black & yellow leather seats. I almost retched. Have you any pictures of yours? What colours have you?

The pre-facelift rear is much nicer than the post, IMHO. Either front is fine, but the first is that little bit less aggressive, which I think suits the car.
    As for which is better, Z3 or Barchetta....I would say the barchetta, but I'd love the have the Z3's interior al the same.....and rigidity of chassis and engine.....
    They're two completely different cars. The Z3 was an overpriced tart that looked dated the day it was launched. The looks promised so much more than it delivered. The barchetta is an elegant cabriolet in a timeless style, which was if anything underpriced. For me it is a guaranteed classic. Everybody is trying to forget the Z3.

Just my €0.02

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

I hate pimp my ride, if you do it up then keep it original. All they do is stick a load of tacky aftermarket crap onto the car. "....... I got an idea, lets put an ironing board in this guys car......" those ****in morons.
    good luck with your project

Your posts have made me have a good think about what it is i exactly want to do to the car. Admittedly, i don't want to PIMP it aka MTV show but i would like to enhance the paintwork and interior. I think the backis damn fine so i'll leave that, and I have a bit of purism in me so I wouldn't want to do anything radical. So lets assume i'll leave the body work completely (except maybe for removing the door locks and filling in the lock holes).

Now for the paintwork, currently its green. The yellow barchetta has the most number of coats of paint on it whereas the metalic greem has, in my oppinion, the least. Its a VERY thin paint job. Also, the metalic flake is minute so you'd hardly notice its metallic at all. I would like to respray the car British racing Green (which is a derivative of Kilkenny Green but thats another story) using bigger mettalic flakes (aka porche or TVR metallic).

Now for the inside, its all dark green and black and, well, dull. I'd like to re-upholster the leather seats into two-tone seats (i would really like to have a splash of orange in the interior but I've afeeling you'll disagree). Either way, two tone leather seats, new barcheta carpets with green logo. A green and black steering wheel (MOMO perhapps). Respray the center console the same colour as boddy work and also the round plastic surrounding the dash air vents and speddo, rev guages etc).

For the wheels, well, it'll have to be spokes really. I mean it justhas to be spokes....there's no real alternative.

You're right about the white stripe, two rather than one. Seeing as how i'm keeping the car almost exactly the same and only enhancing its classic appeal then i've not ruled the stripe out but shelved it for now.

So, will this pass ? or should I hand out buckets ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Con9903 wrote:
    I hate pimp my ride, if you do it up then keep it original. All they do is stick a load of tacky aftermarket crap onto the car. "....... I got an idea, lets put an ironing board in this guys car......" those ****in morons.
    good luck with your project
    your a muppet just cause u dont like somthing dosnt mean its wrong take ur nazi ideals elsewhere and dont post about somthing unless your going to help out when advice is needed. he didnt want to know should he do this to his car and its his car not yours so he can do whatever he wants with it .

but imo finbar in fc autostyling http://www.fcautostyling.com/ContactDetails.html
    ÉIRE 044 23645
    087 2670652

if he cant do it he will know someone that can and hes bloody good at what he dose ..

hes got pics of i think every car hes done so if u ask him to take a look at the pics colder you will see that his work is always done well

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Wow, it's not often a thread on Motors gets Godwinned.

elexes wrote:
    your a muppet just cause u dont like somthing dosnt mean its wrong take ur nazi ideals elsewhere and dont post about somthing unless your going to help out when advice is needed. he didnt want to know should he do this to his car and its his car not yours so he can do whatever he wants with it .

No you're the ****ing muppet, you're a hypocrite too. True I don't like what they do on that tv show, mainly because they spend so much money stupidly when it be used for better things. You're a hypocrite because you didn't like my opinion and lashed out accordingly. Take YOUR nazi ideals elsewhere.

On topic: Barchetta, I read your latest plan and it sounds great, be sure to take a pic when its done

barchetta wrote:
    Now for the paintwork, currently its green. The yellow barchetta has the most number of coats of paint on it whereas the metalic greem has, in my oppinion, the least. Its a VERY thin paint job. Also, the metalic flake is minute so you'd hardly notice its metallic at all. I would like to respray the car British racing Green (which is a derivative of Kilkenny Green but thats another story) using bigger mettalic flakes (aka porche or TVR metallic).

Now for the inside, its all dark green and black and, well, dull. I'd like to re-upholster the leather seats into two-tone seats (i would really like to have a splash of orange in the interior but I've afeeling you'll disagree). Either way, two tone leather seats, new barcheta carpets with green logo. A green and black steering wheel (MOMO perhapps). Respray the center console the same colour as boddy work and also the round plastic surrounding the dash air vents and speddo, rev guages etc).

I like your idea for the paint, and it might be cheaper as the insides of the panels won't have to be repainted if you match the tone and just go for a more sparkly metallic. You don't think pearlescent (like the Alfa Nuvola) would be nice? It needs a car with curves, and the barchetta certainly has them.

I think you're going just a tiny bit overboard on the green inside - but I'm sure you have a picture in your head that explains what you're after better than words. I find it hard to picture what you describe. Do the next owner a favour and get a second centre console to spray - that would be hard to reverse. Just give him/her the option. Personally, I think just cream leather (not 2 tone) would work better with a green car.
    So, will this pass ? or should I hand out buckets ?
    I think it is interesting (and wise) that you seek the opinions others for what is a very personal choice....

How about a picture of your car now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

pimp my ride :D then il take everthing off and sell it :p different strokes for different folks,a picture or two would b great ;) not a fan of painting the inside of any car :o but thats only my point on it ;) do what u like with the car id say ul never please everybodys taste,so please ur own best of luck ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 bumblebeetuna

I'm not a big fan of pimp my ride either, its a bit ott, theres also another show now called overhaulin

I'm not a big fan of pimp my ride either, its a bit ott, theres also another show now called overhaulin
    at least they do work on the engine,susp,brakes,headers,etc,etc not just paint and shiney wheels,hot number presenting the show always helps :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

camarobill wrote:
    at least they do work on the engine,susp,brakes,headers,etc,etc not just paint and shiney wheels,hot number presenting the show always helps :p
    They do that work on Pimp my Ride too but just don't show it in the edited show as it doesn't appeal to the average MTV viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

No your the ****ing muppet muppet, you're a hypocrite too.

I love the internet :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Green cars are unlucky!! :(
    But a Barchetta would still look good with pink pokadots! Your plans sound great, be sure to post some pictures before, during and after the transformation! :cool:

I think they look GORGEOUS in red...

red1.jpg

red2.jpg

red%203.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm not mad on them I have to say. To me they look like one of those amphibious cars from the sixties

Aye on pimp my ride they do some nice stuff, the paint jobs always come out looking great etc. But its bloody stupid when they put in certain things, like a monitor under the car, a pencil holder, a coffee machine or a ping pong table. Imagine pulling up on the hard shoulder for a game of table tennis with your friends.

Con9903 wrote:
    Aye on pimp my ride they do some nice stuff, the paint jobs always come out looking great etc. But its bloody stupid when they put in certain things, like a monitor under the car, a pencil holder, a coffee machine or a ping pong table. Imagine pulling up on the hard shoulder for a game of table tennis with your friends.
    wait for the hand slapping,table tennis on the m50 at peek time deadly :D:D:D

Bit suprised by the number of responses to be honest - but thanks for the input. Its all adding weight into the direction I eventually take. For instance, I agree that i should stick to the same tone, it will make the respray easier and, well, I bought the car in green in the first place because I think the barchetta looks better in green. Red is too ferrari, yellow is too agressive...and maybe too lotus, black is for impatient porche owners, as is silver for that matter....and, well, orange and blue looked cool to be honest. I wasn't brave enough to go for orange but sometimes I wish I had....and blue looked to Medditeranian (I mean we're in Ireland after all...lets be honest here). So i went for green, its a classicy car kinda colour. So i'm gonna stay with green.

Now the seats, mmmmMMMM cream leather. I just don't know, you see there really is a lot of black inthe interior. i don't want three tones, more two tones with a splash of colour, probably something vibrant....hence the initial orange thoughts. That said, If i could change the interior and the seats then i'd definately go for a lighter colour, one which constrast well against the green. Now you've got me thinking......this could turn out expensive :(

I suppose getting the tones right is the first step, the trimming is more of a "blending" thing I think. Allowing you to tweak the balance of the colours.

And then there's the hood! Jesus what colour should the hood be. Can't be that many colours. Its black now, and tan looks, well, too grandadish. A cream roof ? I dunno, i'm not a pimp (although...from the title of the topic....)

Red and cream would work, a bit candyish but it would work. But green and...? Not that many colours that would work....except perhapps keeping it black.

One question just leads to a whole load of others......:(

Advertisement