Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP/MySQL on win2K3 server

Options
  • 22-03-2005 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭

if we assume I have no choice but to run win2K3

Whats the easiest/most reliable way to run a PHP website on Win2K3 server accessing a local MySQL database.

I assume there is many php engines out there .. would it run on top of iis or would you have to get a ver of apache (or equivalent) to run on windows??

Thanks for any help :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It'll run on IIS, and works like PHP on any other server. You can download an MSI installer from www.php.net that'll even do all the config for ya!

:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Only trouble with the installer is that it doesn't come with any extensions. If you're comfortable installing it manually, go with the zip. It'll run on IIS, but I think it's more likely to run comfortably on Apache. It's probably worth looking for benchmarks though.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

thanks for that Seamus..

The last time (must be at least 3-4 years :rolleyes: ) I downloaded and ran MySQL on windows the "Enterprise manager" was a bit hideous.. is it any better now - or would people recomend a PHP based control panel?

dahamsta wrote:
    Only trouble with the installer is that it doesn't come with any extensions. If you're comfortable installing it manually, go with the zip. It'll run on IIS, but I think it's more likely to run comfortably on Apache. It's probably worth looking for benchmarks though.

adam

Do you recommend installing a version of Apache for windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The extensions are simple enough to include later though.

There is nothing like doing it manually though, lets you get a good look under the bonnet, and it's simple enough.

I just got pissed off once trying to get it working with IIS (even though I've done it before) so I've gotten lazy now and just recommend the MSI when using IIS :).

You can download phpMySQLAdmin which will give you a web interface to the MySQL server. I also recently found a handy app called SQLyog which is a really good manager.

• Advertisement

great advice lads thanks .. do you recommend any paticular order of install - I assume mysql first and then PHP would/might install anything necessary to talk to it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

zod wrote:
    Do you recommend installing a version of Apache for windows?
    I'm a *nix guy on the server-side so I can't recommend anything because I'm biased by default. (I develop on WAMP, but that's another matter entirely.)
    zod wrote:
    do you recommend any paticular order of install
    It shouldn't make a difference. (Although obviously it's a tad easier to install PHP with Apache already installed!)

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

It's worth noting there's a few things you can't do, and/or must do differently, on PHP on IIS. There's a list somewhere on their website.

Advertisement