Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US High School Massacre on RTÉ News

• 23-03-2005 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Is this story really deserving of all the coverage it's getting (reports on RTÉ 1's 9 o'clock news and on RTÉ 2's 11 pm news)? It's a nasty occurance but it's happening in some remote part of the USA and I don't see the importance of reporting it in Ireland apart from satisfying people's morbid curiosity.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Thats a pretty stupid thing to say. You think that yours, ours and the news time is far too important to report the tragic murders of nine innocent teenagers just because they were american.
    If it happened in ireland would you not be annoyed if some ignorant yank said that it was a waste of time to report it on CNN because it happened a small country in europe somewhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When I heard this story first I did'nt even blink to be honest - another month, another public shooting incident in the States....sad really.

Mike.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

firstly, dr gonzo, please do not make comments on posters here, if you have issue with the topic attack the post, not the poster.

When I heard about it I was the same as mike, no real reaction. The comment on BBC that it was the worst shooting of its kind since Columbine made me realise just how things have changed since then, that story was all over the news constantly, it was a frenzy, this hardly even registered in comparison.

btw, I didn't see the RTE coverage so I can't comment on it in perticular

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

dr gonzo wrote:
    Thats a pretty stupid thing to say. You think that yours, ours and the news time is far too important to report the tragic murders of nine innocent teenagers just because they were american.
    If it happened in ireland would you not be annoyed if some ignorant yank said that it was a waste of time to report it on CNN because it happened a small country in europe somewhere!

Far worse things happen around the globe all the time. And no, I wouldn't expect a thing like that happening in Ireland to get a lot of coverage in the USA - I accept we're just a tiny little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

Eh.... Flogen i didnt insult anyone, i think you misunderstood my post. I dont mention anythin about him in my post, i only referenced his post in my reply (and by the way its hard to attack someones post and ignorant point of view without inadvertently attacking the poster). I was merely pointing out the apathetic and callous point that was made by your buddy about human lives, it doesnt matter where you live. Although yes i see where youre coming from, i just would have expected moderators to be a bit more mature, especially about the wider world.

im glad to see irish media is in capable hands.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

dr gonzo wrote:
    Eh.... Flogen i didnt insult anyone, i think you misunderstood my post. I dont mention anythin about him in my post, i only referenced his post in my reply (and by the way its hard to attack someones post and ignorant point of view without inadvertently attacking the poster). I was merely pointing out the apathetic and callous point that was made by your buddy about human lives, it doesnt matter where you live. Although yes i see where youre coming from, i just would have expected moderators to be a bit more mature, especially about the wider world.

im glad to see irish media is in capable hands.

I'm not going to argue this with you, gonzo. You're walking a thin line between criticising the post and criticising the poster and I'm just making sure you stay on the right side. I didn't ban you or even warn you that you will be banned so just get on with your point.

flogen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Alanna

Do you think that there is a possibility that this massacre didn't get as much coverage as the Columbine one because it happened on an Native American reservation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No, I think people nearly expect that sort of thing to happen every now and again in the US these days. Actually, the idea of an Indian kid being obsessed with Nazism is far stranger than white kids being so. It's interesting from that pov but the news didn't mention it - how do Indians and Indian teens feel about their place in the USA? Not an issue you ever hear much about.

Advertisement