Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Expansys Stop selling PSP!

Options
  • 23-03-2005 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

Expansys were told that they are no longer allowed to sell JAP PSPs to the EU so they have taken the PSP offline on the EU sites

fCUKERS I got my first weeks wages today from my new job and was set to buy it from them but they've withdrawn it from their site, there only selling games & accessories for it now

Wheres the best place to buy the jap version from lik sang? what other places are out there? How much will customs add to the lik sang cost(€250) if it gets caught? How dose it work with customs, they dont release it until you pay or something like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

dceire wrote:
    Expansys were told that they are no longer allowed to sell JAP PSPs to the EU so they have taken the PSP offline on the EU sites

fCUKERS I got my first weeks wages today from my new job and was set to buy it from them but they've withdrawn it from their site, there only selling games & accessories for it now

Wheres the best place to buy the jap version from lik sang? what other places are out there? How much will customs add to the lik sang cost(€250) if it gets caught? How dose it work with customs, they dont release it until you pay or something like that?

Basically they have your name, address and what you want. You pay or they send it back probably, or maybe it sits in a warehouse in Rosslare gathering dust for years!!!!

Man it sucks, I didn't even know expansys were selling it until your message, now it's too late anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

dceire wrote:

Told by whom?

Playasia and places are probably still selling it. I dont see how they would stop selling it unless Sony gave them a direct order stopping their supply or whatever.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Winters wrote:
    Told by whom?

Playasia and places are probably still selling it. I dont see how they would stop selling it unless Sony gave them a direct order stopping their supply or whatever.

this is totally guess-work here, but it's plausable that they did. I'm sure Nintendo has often turned a blind eye to this kind of cross-region trading, but with the apparent delays in the PSP getting to Europe perhaps Sony fear that their customers are increasingly turning to Asia to get their hands on the console. Sure, Sony still get the money and still get the custom but every person that buys a console online now rather than in X amount of months is one less person Sony can add to their Day/Week/Month of Release statements which I'm sure they hope to top Nintendo with

/me removes tinfoil hat

flogen

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Mabye beacause expansys are importing them into the UK while every else is exporting them from Asia. A loophole?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Playasia and Liksang are based on Hong Kong. Different laws would apply. EU laws are a lot stricter on certain things, this could be one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

flogen wrote:
    I'm sure Nintendo has often turned a blind eye to this kind of cross-region trading

Much and all as I hate to badmouth the big N, but they are probably the precedent setters in taking action against European importers!!

Back in the day(late 80's/early90's) they used to be reall hard-asses especially on the Brit importers, taking some to court or stopping them selling their products.

I think these days, they couldn't give a fucck because they are being totally pwned by Sony, so every sale counts I guess!

But you're right AFAIK on the reason why, the DS was just hailed as the fastest selling console ever in the UK, so if all the early adopters get one from Asia/US now, the PSP launch won't be as 'successful'.

And if they are planning on selling them for 250euro over here, that is almost 3times the JPN launch price, so Europeans importing now means less profit for the money grubbing dicks! Especially as they're selling them for a loss over there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

Only recently importers were told by Nintendo not to import the more recent Pokemon games. Not sure if they took any action over it but they were certainly threatening to.

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Winters wrote:
    Told by whom?

I think it was direct from sony!
    http://www.expansys.ie/forumthread.asp?code=PSP&thread=106

• Registered Users Posts: 54,342 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

dceire wrote:
    feel sorry for you mate

ebay all the way

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

dearg_doom wrote:
    Back in the day(late 80's/early90's) they used to be reall hard-asses especially on the Brit importers, taking some to court or stopping them selling their products.

I think these days, they couldn't give a fucck because they are being totally pwned by Sony, so every sale counts I guess!

Well they are being... pwned... in the home console market, but the handheld is still theres (for the time being at least). The likes of Mr Calculator always stocked GBA games, such as pokemon, despite being asked not to. I think all Nintendo can really do is stop supplying them though, I'm not sure if importing is illegal, once all taxes and dues are paid (could be wrong here, may well be)

flogen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Levi managed to stop Tesco importing and selling their gear a while back in a big court case. The again where are Levi now ;)

It shows what a bad state of afairs were in now that busniesses can enforce anti-import policys even though they are rapeing us on price just coz the can. Its the same for clothes, games, DVD's, electronis, even certain food stuffes (coke etc).

Whats the story with import duty, what is it? Do they add this on top of vat? Whats the best way to evade these charges?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Import duty is about 5% I thing so you pay about 25-26% including VAT AFAIK.

Has anyone here ever used playasia how are they for deliverly etc... They look to be pretty reasonable sellin the psp for €235 + whatever deliverly is

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

nah,
    was thinkin about it but I just may have resigned myself to waiting for the euro launch(whenever that proves to be), rest of the options just seem a bit hassly at the mo'
    reckon I'll just go get a DS here instead, as I want them both anyways

flogen wrote:
    Well they are being... pwned... in the home console market, but the handheld is still theres (for the time being at least). The likes of Mr Calculator always stocked GBA games, such as pokemon, despite being asked not to. I think all Nintendo can really do is stop supplying them though, I'm not sure if importing is illegal, once all taxes and dues are paid (could be wrong here, may well be)

flogen
    haha, yeah I meant the home market, but as I say every penny counts these days:p

I think these importers are a legal grey area, I think if they pay all due taxes and aren't involved in a contract with the company they're screwing it's all grand.

Games systems makers are normally split into three different companies under the umbrella of the brand name, eg NoJ, NoA, NoE... are the subsidiaries of Nintendo.

Nintendo themselves don't actually sell their games in Japan/America/Europe; Nintendo of America sells games to America, Nintendo of Europe to Europe and Nintendo of Japan to Japan.

These three different companies have to make the most of their respective markets to maximise their own profits, so when Euro consumers import a JPN game, that's one less sale for the Euro company and less profit too.

Companies like profit. so they tend to do everything they can to protect/reap as much as they can.

So NoE lisence(sp?) games retailers in Europe to sell their games exclusively, and therefore not to sell their competitions'(ie NoA and NoJ) games. ie to sell PAL games. They put pressure on the retailers to not sell import games, if they do they will be in breach of their contract so it could be cancelled, meaning said retailer is no longer allowed to sell these games (and lose their bulk discount privledges[sp?]).

This is why you'll never buy import games in GAME/Dixons etc...

But some company like Mr.Calculator couldn't give a fuuck about Nintendo's lisence as they only sell a few of the items, and I think I read that he goes to Japan himself to pick them up, so he can do whatever he wants, like the Fonz.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

'like the fonz'...lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Dogg Thang

I've always had issue with company-imposed import restrictions mainly because they don't operate under any restrictions when it comes to actually producing the goods. If they can get their parts made in cheap (often third world) countries, then why shouldn't I also take advantage of the global marketplace? If they were supporting a local economy then I might feel different, but they aren't.

And if Nintendo of Europe or Sony Europe or whatever didn't want us to import then they would do better by providing a better service rather than giving us late inflated goods and putting their efforts into desperately trying to stop us importing.

Dogg.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

What a joke - if Sony'd got their act together in the first place and stopped with the Eurape they wouldnt have this mess.

Why must Europe be continually messed over in the videogame market?

:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Well I think America is jealous because europe started 2 wars and got the word world in the title, america like to have world everything, world series for example.

Don't know what's up japan's ass.....

• Advertisement

Dogg Thang wrote:
    I've always had issue with company-imposed import restrictions mainly because they don't operate under any restrictions when it comes to actually producing the goods. If they can get their parts made in cheap (often third world) countries, then why shouldn't I also take advantage of the global marketplace? If they were supporting a local economy then I might feel different, but they aren't.

And if Nintendo of Europe or Sony Europe or whatever didn't want us to import then they would do better by providing a better service rather than giving us late inflated goods and putting their efforts into desperately trying to stop us importing.

Dogg.

I agree completely! The system is ridiculous

The eternal question...

Well I think America is jealous because europe started 2 wars and got the word world in the title, america like to have world everything, world series for example.

I'd say the Japanese are jealous of our mastery of irony.

A Dookie I'd imagine

Advertisement