Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rented out 'The Incredibles' from Xtra-Vision..

• 23-03-2005 1:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭

[rant]
    .. and i arrived home to look in the box to find only Disc 1 of a 2-disc set.

Was pretty pissed off cos i'd already seen the film but i wanted to look at all the extras on it, and i hadn't seen the apparently brillant cartoon Boundin' that was attached to prints in the cinema. This was now on the DVD as a bonus feature.

So the girlfriend rang up Xtra-Vision and they told her.... wait for this.... that they're only issuing the first disc with the rental copy. And to get the 2nd disc, you need to buy it!

Anyone else had this problem in Xtra-Vision, or is it just these thieving fu*kers in Xtra-Vision here in Sligo just trying to cover their own arses? :mad:
    [/rant]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

basquille wrote:
    [rant]
    .. and i arrived home to look in the box to find only Disc 1 of a 2-disc set.

Was pretty pissed off cos i'd already seen the film but i wanted to look at all the extras on it, and i hadn't seen the apparently brillant cartoon Boundin' that was attached to prints in the cinema. This was now on the DVD as a bonus feature.

So the girlfriend rang up Xtra-Vision and they told her.... wait for this.... that they're only issuing the first disc with the rental copy. And to get the 2nd disc, you need to buy it!

Anyone else had this problem in Xtra-Vision, or is it just these thieving fu*kers in Xtra-Vision here in Sligo just trying to cover their own arses? :mad:
    [/rant]

Tell us this, out of interest: does the disc you did get have a "Not for Resale - Rental Only" logo on it? And further to this - is there a warning on the disc when you load the usual one that says you can't pirate it, show it in hospitals, etc.,?

Usually rental outfits get movie-only deals and the disc is branded. I bought a DVD from XtraVision once and it actually had the "Not For Resale - rental only" thing on it so I took it back.

Dubious goings on at xtravision.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Tell us this, out of interest: does the disc you did get have a "Not for Resale - Rental Only" logo on it? And further to this - is there a warning on the disc when you load the usual one that says you can't pirate it, show it in hospitals, etc.,?

Usually rental outfits get movie-only deals and the disc is branded. I bought a DVD from XtraVision once and it actually had the "Not For Resale - rental only" thing on it so I took it back.

The strange thing was i looked at the back of the box they have displayed for rental - and it listed all the special features!

Definantly something going on with Xtra-Vision here.. have a right mind to ring up their HQ in the morning to find out more.

The disc does say 'Rental Copy' and does display a warning before the film about 'not for resale, reproduction... etc', but the copy they had displayed on the shelf for rental was a 2 disc and said '2 disc special edition' along the top of it.

Surely they couldn't display this, along with all the special features on the back, if they were only allowed to rent out 1 disc alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

you get the two discs in athlone xtra-vision, each store has individual sales targets. its a joke, the majority dont even watch the bonus dvd!!!!

(inside information)

you get the two discs in athlone xtra-vision, each store has individual sales targets. its a joke, the majority dont even watch the bonus dvd!!!!

(inside information)
    Cheers for that! I'm gonna go in tomorrow and shove this 1 disc up their a$$es. I wouldn't mind but the amount of bonus features on that 2nd disc was worth the rental alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

basquille wrote:
    [rant]Anyone else had this problem in Xtra-Vision, or is it just these thieving fu*kers in Xtra-Vision here in Sligo just trying to cover their own arses? :mad:
    [/rant]

Funnily enough I've just finished watching The Incredibles tonight too (rented from Xtra-Vision Balbriggan) and the bonus DVD IS included, always has been in my experience too. Something fishy going on...

• Advertisement

Bluehair wrote:
    Funnily enough I've just finished watching The Incredibles tonight too (rented from Xtra-Vision Balbriggan) and the bonus DVD IS included, always has been in my experience too. Something fishy going on...
    Yep, wouldn't suprise me!

Lazy bunch of ignorant f**kers in the one here in Sligo, to be honest!

Will ring the Xtra-Vision HQ (number is listed on the Xtra-Vision website) in the morning to complain. Will let ye know how i get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Cheers for that! I'm gonna go in tomorrow and shove this 1 disc up their a$$es. I wouldn't mind but the amount of bonus features on that 2nd disc was worth the rental alone!

you should rent out The Terminal (its got two discs) when you drop back the Incredibles, and as you're leaving the counter open the box to find the two discs....'to your bewilderment!' Then go back and query the manager about why is it that you didnt get two discs with the Incredibles but funnily enough a film which has been out a couple of months theres no prob-lemo!!!!!(dont hassle the staff cos they av no say in store policy, but they get all the **** for it)

you should rent out The Terminal (its got two discs) when you drop back the Incredibles, and as you're leaving the counter open the box to find the two discs....'to your bewilderment!' Then go back and query the manager about why is it that you didnt get two discs with the Incredibles but funnily enough a film which has been out a couple of months theres no prob-lemo!!!!!(dont hassle the staff cos they av no say in store policy, but they get all the **** for it)
    Might just do that! :D

That's really pissed me off now! I'm not leaving that store until i get the 2nd disc anyways.

Christ.. i'm a stubborn fecker! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I had this problem too with Cold Mountain - but they managed to give me Disk 2 instead of Disk 1, so all I had to watch were the extra features :D

Needless to say I got the manager to put credit onto my account....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Err lads do you not check the discs in the box before you go home. The rare occasions that I do rent films out I always check the box before leaving the store. Mainly because of the number of scratched DVD's I have hired (I would really like to know what some people do with these).

In answer to the original question you should have gotten the bonus features disc if it was listed on the cover on the shelf. Complain and I would expect you to get a free rental out of it.

• Advertisement

In answer to your question, i ALWAYS check the discs before i go home. But on this occasion, my girlfriend actually went up to the counter and rented them out and put them in with the plastic bag of shopping, which i was carrying of course! :rolleyes:

Scratched discs are the biggest pain in the arse alright. I wouldn't mind.. but if i rent out a DVD, i treat the disc as if it were my own!..

.. OK, i may have chewed on a section of a disc once or twice outta boredom! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Basquille don't let them away with it. I'd ask to see the management if they kick up a fuss and drop a few words about phoning HQ and whoever is responsible for copyright in Ireland :)

Oh and love your sig :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

I had a bad experience where they left out the first disc of a playstation game. Cannot remember now what it was but i was way annoyed as obviously i could not skip to disc two and start from there.

This was the Clondalking branch BTW!

ixoy wrote:
    Basquille don't let them away with it. I'd ask to see the management if they kick up a fuss and drop a few words about phoning HQ and whoever is responsible for copyright in Ireland :)

Oh and love your sig :D
    Yep.. will definantly give Xtra-Vision HQ a call in the morning and maybe even the Federation-Against-Copyright-Theft.. FACT.. OK, so i probably won't call them but i've always wanted to say that! :D

PS - You only noticing the sig now?! Had it for a couple of weeks. Thought you'd be the first one to notice! :D

Next week's episode of AD has Ben Stiller and the following week has Zach Braff. Should be good viewing, as always!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I never rent a movie with a view to getting the bonus disk. I'd just consider it a happy coincidence if they actually supply it. I didn't realise it was store policy?

Immaterial anyway asin most case I wouldn't even watch the extras anyway unless I really enjoyed the film I'd just seen.

That said to having seen The Incredibles in cinema (and presumably being one of the few people on earth who think it is even less than 'meh' in quality) I wouldn't have felt short changed if the video shop had given me disk2 and just kept the main feature.

Rang Xtra-Vision HQ - the staff were all very pleasant on the phone anyways.

And i was put through to Customer Service. Told Customer Service the situation and they rang the Sligo branch. The Sligo Branch told her that they kept the bonus disc's on a seperate shelf.. funny how the case i got 'The Incredibles' in had room for another disc, wasn't it? :rolleyes: And how they'd typically only issue the 2nd disc on request.... hmmm.. can anyone else smell the BS? :D

Am going into the Sligo branch tomorrow to leave it back and get the 2nd disc off them. And try and get another free rental for my troubles!

Think it might be the last time i go to Xtra-Vision. Think the business in Sligo is killin' 'em to be honest. As Xtra-Vision normally charge €4.45 per DVD, whereas the Chartbusters just across the road charge €3 per DVD.

It just so happens that Xtra-Vision have a special offer on right now: 2 DVD's for €6 for 2 Nights and girlfriend wanted to see 'Vera Drake' which was an exclusive in Xtra-Vision.

Think Xtra-Vision just lost another customer! Bet they're shi*ting themselves now, huh?! :rolleyes: :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭callmescratch

€4.45 ?!? that's a bargain compared to New Ross, they charge €5.25 for a new release :mad:

€4.45 ?!? that's a bargain compared to New Ross, they charge €5.25 for a new release :mad:
    Yeah.. this time last year Xtra-Vision were charging about €3 and it slowly but steeply increased to €4.45. I can just see the prices going up even further!

I still don't know how they can charge this with Chartbusters across the road charging €3 for all DVD's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i know for a fact years ago when xtravision was irish owned, they pirated the vhs tapes & printed their own covers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Xtravision touch children.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

that reminded me, there was a video store in Skerries a while a ago,it was called Movies-4-U-2-C (must be a new thing) but all the DVD's had, on the frickin' boxes and all!, *Not rental copy*in big, black, bold leters on a yellow background!I mean how fookin' stoopid does one have to be to do that,I was tempted,sorely tempted in fact, to ring up FACT and report them, but the store were giving the DVD's at a steal, especially compared to Xtra Vision, but the other downer was that they never got in any new DVD's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Tusky wrote:
    Xtravision touch children.

LOL - oh Tusky, you are the LIVING END

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The latest big event on DVD: The Incredibles, which in its first day last Tuesday sold 5 million copies, mainly on DVD, in North America.
    Extremely overated film .
    Good special effects but boring film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Helpful information there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Marts wrote:
    that reminded me, there was a video store in Skerries a while a ago,it was called Movies-4-U-2-C (must be a new thing) but all the DVD's had, on the frickin' boxes and all!, *Not rental copy*in big, black, bold leters on a yellow background!I mean how fookin' stoopid does one have to be to do that,I was tempted,sorely tempted in fact, to ring up FACT and report them, but the store were giving the DVD's at a steal, especially compared to Xtra Vision, but the other downer was that they never got in any new DVD's

Yeh i saw that, and there was one in Balbriggan as far as i know too... and Video Vault in Skerries wasnt without speculation as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

Rhyme wrote:
    Yeh i saw that, and there was one in Balbriggan as far as i know too... and Video Vault in Skerries wasnt without speculation as well.
    yeah, but I thought Video Vault rocked! it was **** that it closed, I went there before I went to Xtra Vision, it was just better, maybe not as good a selection but better prices and the staff weren't dickheads!

Listen to this..

After talking on the phone to Xtra-Vision HQ and them telling me there was no problem getting the 2nd disc off Xtra-Vision whenever i leave 'em back.

The girlfriend left them back today and asked for the second disc. The staff-member told her that she expected her in yesterday, even though the DVD's we rented weren't due back til today.

So anyways, the staff member then scanned in The Incredibles bonus disc and demanded a €4.45 rental charge for the bonus disc!! :mad:

Xtra-Vision HQ will be getting a bollocking from me regarding this! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Rented it in Chartbusters in Dundalk. €3 to rent it. 2 discs in the box. Friendly staff. Not a bother.

Bard wrote:
    Rented it in Chartbusters in Dundalk. €3 to rent it. 2 discs in the box. Friendly staff. Not a bother.
    Yeah, there's a Chartbusters right across the road from Xtra-Vision here in Sligo too.

€3 a DVD.. staff are sound too..

Think i'll be going there from now on!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sammyjoe

Hiya
    this is my first time using this..So dont really know what im doing!! i want post an ad looking desperatly for 2 Oasis Tickets...help!

Sammyjoe wrote:
    Hiya
    this is my first time using this..So dont really know what im doing!! i want post an ad looking desperatly for 2 Oasis Tickets...help!
    OK....

Click here!

Press 'New Thread' button.

Put in title as "WANTED: 2 Oasis Tickets" and put an appropriate message underneath such as "Need 2 Oasis Tickets!"

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

basquille wrote:
    Yeah, there's a Chartbusters right across the road from Xtra-Vision here in Sligo too.

€3 a DVD.. staff are sound too..

Think i'll be going there from now on!

Take it from me when i say this about chartbusters "COWBOYS TED, THEIR A BUNCH OF COWBOYS"

That and idiots.

TOPDAWG wrote:
    Take it from me when i say this about chartbusters "COWBOYS TED, THEIR A BUNCH OF COWBOYS"

That and idiots.
    No more Cowboys than Xtra-Vision.

My girlfriend's sister rented out a DVD in there before and they gave her the wrong one by accident. She didn't realise til she got home. They rang her house to tell her she got the wrong DVD and they had the right one there ready for collection whenever she had a chance. And gave it to her for an extra night.

Xtra-Vision staff wouldn't do that... incompetent f*ckers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭TOPDAWG

basquille wrote:
    No more Cowboys than Xtra-Vision.

My girlfriend's sister rented out a DVD in there before and they gave her the wrong one by accident. She didn't realise til she got home. They rang her house to tell her she got the wrong DVD and they had the right one there ready for collection whenever she had a chance. And gave it to her for an extra night.

Xtra-Vision staff wouldn't do that... incompetent f*ckers!

Spent 4 years with the C.B. muppets man, most idiotic, slackjawed, incompetetent tools ever. had a manager about 40 who taut he was managing a global empire im sure!! and as for sunbeds in videoshops F*CK OFF!! 4 years there and they wouldnt give me a written reference when i left. cant go wrong with 2 for 2 nite for 6 yo yos at xtravision but nothing beats the local video shop with the hot chick behind the counter who's always up for the banter.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭allin-king

Marts wrote:

The reason movies 4u2c had a not for rental copy is because they bought a retail copy rather then a rental (E16.00 for retail and E45 rental trade prices)
    and i don't blame them either especially as xtravision (american company) would pay half the price for their rental copy because of their buying power,
    so i say fair play to the independent Irish owned shops who also have to compete with xtravision exclusive titles (they get them a month after xtravison)

• Advertisement
Advertisement