Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC to cut 2000 jobs

• 23-03-2005 6:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4366545.stm

I quite like the output of the BBC. It would be a shame if these job cuts would affect the quality of their output. there would be nothing more likely to affect the output of programming than to have an overstretched workforce.

Just wondering what are people's vies on this. If the BBC were to take on advertising to gemerate funding, would this be a better idea than letting 19 percent of its workforce go?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its very hard to know what the fall-out will be but saving jobs by opening the BBC to advertsing is not the answer and anyway it would'nt be possible. The BBC fighting in the market with ITV, Channel 5, SKY etc would be murder for all as ad rates collapse (after all there would be so much more advert screen time to fill) while the licence fee justification would be undermined. Either that or all broadcasters would want a share of it.

The loses announced this week are mianly in certain types of programming some of which will be felt - foreign news will suffer by the looks of it. Regional
    opt outs will come under pressure to (but no bad thing I hate BBC NI progs!) with over 700 jobs to go.

If the beeb spends its money on core operations then most of the time we wont notice and they do seem to be intent on shedding jobs in areas that tend not to be seen on screen such as marketing, admin, legal. I imagine there's a lot of wastage in a company as large as BBC.

Mike.

Advertisement