Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nt hosts bit of help please

Options
  • 07-11-2000 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

i signed up with a nt host stupidly the other day without checking whats the difference between nt and *nux servers can you please tell me what i will have to do different database wise and php/perl

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

On an NT host you can use ASP scripts. UNIX on the other hand runs PHP scripts. (To put it simply)

Since you are on the NT hosting account, you can make an Access Database and Upload it. If you're looking to learn how to code ASP and Database sites, I suggest buying a book on it as there are many out there. You can alternatively search the net, but most tutorial sites will not be user-friendly for complete beginner programmers.

So, you won't be able to run your php scripts on the NT host, but it is possible to do most things in both scripts, e.g. message boards, db stuff etc.

www.acid.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

It depends on the hosting company. PHP works under NT quite well, as does mySQL and Perl.

Read their offer. Generally with NT though you'll get Perl and ASP and have to either rent an expensive MS SQL database or just use an uploaded Access one.

Advertisement