Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom League - Revved up and ready, a League with licence to thrill

• 23-03-2005 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

Revved up and ready, a League with licence to thrill
    http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=94&si=1362977&issue_id=12237

WITH the sporting eyes of the nation focused last week on events in Cheltenham, Cardiff and Croke Park - not to mention the world's golfing fairways - the Eircom League quietly revved up, released the throttle and set off on a new season.

With a 300 per cent increase in prizemoney, a massive rise in the number of live TV games and a return to the 12-team Premier Division there is much to look forward to.

But there is also a fear that some clubs may have pushed the boat out too far in their bid to achieve success and the betting has already started on where the first financial crisis of the season is going to emerge.

Everybody who loves the Eircom League wants to see it grow into a strong vibrant competition that will start to woo back the crowds and contain clubs that will make an impact in the European competitions.

In no particular order, here are my ambitions for the 2005 Eircom League season:

That licensing finally starts to bite:
    The clubs who struggled to honour their contractual obligations to players and managers last season still managed to get licences for the 2005 season, albeit on appeal. Failing to pay wages ridicules the league and damages it in the public eye.

That the standardised contract is agreed: The PFAI and the Eircom League are currently engaged in talks about implementing it but there are still some clubs who are reluctant to see it introduced. What are they afraid of? Surely, if clubs are adhering to the licensing manual and running their businesses properly they have nothing to fear from a standardised contract which will ensure that everything is above board.

That referees are treated with the respect: The game cannot exist without the 'whistlers' and if they don't get respect at Eircom League level then how are they going to get it on the schoolboy pitches?

UEFA's promotion of Alan Kelly and Ian Stokes shows that our officials are highly rated. Instead of criticising refereeing standards, clubs should be doing everything in their power to encourage more people to become referees as greater numbers will ensure higher standards.

That our European representatives win matches: Unfortunately, results in the Inter Toto Cup don't count towards the co-efficient so we are depending this season on Shelbourne, Cork City and Longford Town to improve it. Despite Shelbourne's excellent run in Europe last season the Eircom League's representatives only recorded one victory in 12 games. More wins will improve the co-efficient and help the 2006 seedings.

That an Eircom League side wins the Setanta Cup: The first north-south competition in 25 years has whetted the appetite and the opening game between Glentoran and Longford was enjoyable. There is a growing realisation up north that an All-Ireland League is the way to go and if an Eircom League side wins the Setanta Cup it might hasten the day.

That working conditions for the media improve: This is especially true in the top flight where there is a greater media demand. Premier Division new boys UCD and Bray Wanderers have made admirable improvements to their press facilities but the efforts of some clubs leaves a lot to be desired. How did they get licences? Some clubs are preparing to move to new grounds but that shouldn't be an excuse to not providing proper work benches and enough sockets to meet the demand of the laptop brigade.

That more players in the League get international recognition: Twelve U-21 internationals and two full internationals in the past two years is not a bad return and hopefully the players in the Eircom League will continue to make an impression on Brian Kerr and Don Givens.

The likes of Jason Byrne, Glen Crowe, Kevin Doyle, Daryl Murphy and Liam Kearney have all improved the profile and credibility of the League.

That more Irish internationals return home to play: Gareth Farrelly, Alan Moore and Dominic Foley took the decision in 2004 and hopefully more will follow in the years ahead.

Gary Kelly said on Sunday that he wouldn't come back to play out his career with Drogheda because he was afraid he would let them down. Don't be silly Gary, you'd do wonders for Drogheda on and off the field just as Dundalk would benefit from a season or two at the end of Stephen Staunton's career. And it is also good to see young players like Andy Cousins and Jason Gavin returning rather than languishing in the lower regions of the English League.

That spectator facilities continue to improve: Eircom League football is part of the entertainment industry and clubs should look closely at the success that cinemas and greyhound tracks have enjoyed after upgrading facilities.

The public demands comfortable seating, easy access to food and beverages, and proper toilet facilities for both men and women.

That the Republic of Ireland qualify for the World Cup finals: Brian Kerr learned his trade in the old League of Ireland and is just as likely to be found standing on the Camac side of Richmond Park on Friday night as the VIP section at Old Trafford on Saturday. It would be a massive morale boost for everyone in the Eircom League if 'The Greener' takes Ireland to Germany.

Gerry McDermott
    Bootroom

Gerry has made some good points there. One thing that he has missed is the technical development of the Eircom League. It's something that would increase crowd numbers and further EL clubs in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thats a very interesting write up , and I hope that the things in there to improve the league are achieved .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

good to hear the EL advertisments on the radio too. I didnt hear any of them last season

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

1. Explain how an EL team winning the Setanta Cup will hasten an all Ireland league any more than if a team from the IrishLeague do?

2. How does Ireland qualifying for WC2006 help the EL in the slightest. If anything it'll hinder it by deflecting focus.

3. Winning games in Europe helps nobody except the top 3 or 4 teams in the EL. The more money they get the sooner we'll have an SPL (or worse Norway) situation on our hands.

4. Worrying about Laptop sockets? C'mon! That must be about item #703 on the 'to do' list as far as I'm concerned

5. U21s? Nobody cares! You could have an entire U21 Ireland team made out EL players and its not going to put an extra bum on seat come Friday.

Anyway, some of the stuff he highlights I agree with (refs, facilities, contracts etc) but for the most part that guy is (pardon my french) talking out of his ares as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Pigman II wrote:

3. Winning games in Europe helps nobody except the top 3 or 4 teams in the EL. The more money they get the sooner we'll have an SPL (or worse Norway) situation on our hands.

It raises the league profile, and we are nowhere near an SPL/Norway type affair yet. Look at the season coming. One could expect City/Shels to challenge for the League, Drogs,/Longford/Derry/Bohs/Waterford to push the top two fairly far.
    Pigman II wrote:
    4. Worrying about Laptop sockets? C'mon! That must be about item #703 on the 'to do' list as far as I'm concerned

It may sound trivial, but the grounds have to be media accessible. Foreign journos etc coming over for UEFA/CL/IT matches. I believe this may be a bit of a licencing issue.
    Pigman II wrote:
    5. U21s? Nobody cares! You could have an entire U21 Ireland team made out EL players and its not going to put an extra bum on seat come Friday.

Its made an awful lot of people here in Cork take alot more notice of Liam Kearney and Kevin Doyle. Again, it looks decent for the league, that its not the 'pub' league it was 10yrs ago

1. Hopefully by showing the difference in class that exists north and south and what the northern clubs are missing out on.

2. Brian Kerr is a product from the Eircom League. If we make it to the WC06 then it will demonstrate the the EL can produce managers of international class (even though they may be few and far between).

3. Winning games in Europe increases the Eircom Leagues coefficient and thus moving the league up the table( I wont bother explaining the benefit of that). The clubs that get into Europe will improve, the same clubs will be playing the rest of E.L clubs. The overall level of football should improve. Plus Kerr will have a few players he might be able to pick from who have Champions League experience.

4. Fail to Prepare - Prepare to Fail :p Its important to have a professional well run club that sees to everything. Even the most small detail should be seen to.

5. Take any of the top sides, Portual - France etc. They all really take underage serious. Its good international experience for the players and improve their ability

• Advertisement

Also I forgot to mention that washouts such as Moore and Farrelly shouldn't be included in the authors apprasal of 'International players in the league' as they never played for Ireland whilst EL players!

As far as I'm concerned unless you earnt the cap whilst in the EL then it's really an irrelvant statistic. After all even Bobby Charlton played in the LOI so does that mean we're suddenly a league worthy of Englands record scorer?

BTW, Jason Byrnes 'appearance' in Poland shouldn't be used as ammo either as far as I'm concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I agree with you about the ex-internationals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Farelley is only 29.

What age was Moore when he played in Ireland?

Thats was the old league of ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

In all fianress the point about internationals is it's the quality of player we're attracting to the league. Charlton when he came over was finished, Moore and Farrelly are 30 and 29 respectively afaik, Ndo is even younger. It's completley different.

I couldnt agree more, the fact that they are playin in the EL says something. There are some fellas like Charlton who are a bad example but its a good sign that there are international players.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong here, but I think he may mean that the likes of Moore and Farrelly are nowhere near gaining another international cap. It is a decieving stat.

That said, no-one can doubt that either player are alot better than most in the league, and are of benefit to the league in that these type of players do raise eyebrows of those who know little of eL football.

well if we could get more former internationals back ( like the way ince and pallester dropped down to Wolves)for a season or two it would serve the clubs very well.

gimmick wrote:
    I could be wrong here, but I think he may mean that the likes of Moore and Farrelly are nowhere near gaining another international cap. It is a decieving stat.

That said, no-one can doubt that either player are alot better than most in the league, and are of benefit to the league in that these type of players do raise eyebrows of those who know little of eL football.

Well no he said it was an 'irrelvant statistic' which I disagree with, it shows the quality of the players in the league.

well if we could get more former internationals back ( like the way ince and pallester dropped down to Wolves)for a season or two it would serve the clubs very well.

To be fair, the league has moved on alot since taking has been English players to finish their careers. Roddy did his best to resurrect the trend last season with CHF, but most clubs with any ambition will look beyond such silly signings.

Not to mention the fact that it wouldnt serve clubs well at all, for example, when City signed Liam O Brien from Tranmere a few years back, it looked a great signing. His first few games he looked decent, then he stopped playing, ending up getting booed from his own fans for being a lazy waster has-been. Id never want to see such at City ever again.

Maybe so , but bringing back players like Dominic Foley is a must if we're to improve the league .

Is that why the Bohs 'fans' were booing him last season 10 minutes into his debut???

gimmick wrote:
    Is that why the Bohs 'fans' were booing him last season 10 minutes into his debut???

are you denying Dominic Foley is a quality player ?

Not at all. From what Ive seen of him, he is a good player who has yet to really adapt to the eL game.

TBH, the above comment was more a dig a Bohs :p;)

Big Ears wrote:
    are you denying Dominic Foley is a quality player ?

Well I am, he's looked absolute dirt for Bohs and pretty much everyone he's played for (Bar that glorious summer at the US cup :D ), thank christ he plays for Bohs.

Foley is rubbish IMHO. From what I've heard he wasn't even regarded at Watford back when he was getting the odd cap for Ireland.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Well I am, he's looked absolute dirt for Bohs and pretty much everyone he's played for (Bar that glorious summer at the US cup :D ), thank christ he plays for Bohs.

I have to say he looks like he still needs to adapt to the league , and im not sure he is fully fit , he was **** against Pats but theres a lot more to come from him .

I think he will bag at least 12 league goals this season .

Big Ears wrote:
    I have to say he looks like he still needs to adapt to the league , and im not sure he is fully fit , he was **** against Pats but theres a lot more to come from him .

I think he will bag at least 12 league goals this season .

What are you baseing that on though? The fact he played in some mickey mouse cup with Ireland? He's been in this league for nearly a year now and has shown no signs of improvement beyond being a donkey whatsoever. His previous career has pretty much been one poor spell after another.

Advertisement