Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drooling Cat

• 23-03-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Ok my cat is 5 and fixed and for the past year he's started drooling everytime anyone pets him, I'm talking puddles here.
    Couple of people cat owners i know have the same issue but his twin sister has never done this.
    is this normal?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One of ours does it, the other doesn't. She always goes through a little ritual when she gets on my lap of first facing me and "treading", or "paddling", with her front paws with little globs of drool forming on her chin and falling onto my lap at the same time. This can go on for ages before she finally settles, turns around and lies on my lap.

The "paddling" BTW is what kittens do to stimulate milk production in their mothers, and since you, the owner, are effectively the cat's mother, it doesn't know any better. I keep telling her she's on to a loser, but she doesn't listen :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭Nasty_Girl

Now that I think of it when the twins were kittens one used to try and suck from the other but I can't remember which or if both did it. Maybe because we moved house a year ago and a lot of people have moved out he's reverting back to kitten state!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Adult domestic cats are effectively in a constant state of childhood, or should that be kittenhood :) They get fed by you, just as they were fed by their mother when they were kittens, and have never really had to fend for themselves, so you are effectively their mother. This is in contrast to dogs who view their owner as "top dog" ... a totally different kind of owner-pet relationship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Yeah I've seen this before alright. It's kinda weird. One thing I would say, is that drooling is often a sign of tooth problems (or toadlicking), maybe worth getting it checked out if he has trouble eating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

My soon to be 16 yo cat has always been a drooler.
    Check to make sure your cat has no gum or teeth problems.
    If all is well then I guess the cat is just happy being a big baby :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement