Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

babyshambles

• 23-03-2005 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

what do people think. babyshambles, do the have what it takes to make a good album? or are they just over hyped junkies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

eoinf wrote:
    over hyped junkies

It represents a new low for NME pushing this tragic junkie into an early grave, milking it all the while, generate a new martyr while the poor bastard is still alive.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Going on the songs I've heard so far and previous Libertines form, I reckon if an album does make it's way out, you're looking at about 2-3 songs that are excellent, maybe 4 good ones and then filler the rest.

As for the heroin thing, last I read Pete had a Naltroxone implant which pretty much precludes shooting up. Shame it doesn't work for crack. I reckon if he cleaned up and put an album of sufficient quality out, he should completely denounce the NME and not give them anything. And possibly the tabloid (Mirror?) who ran "Pete Watch".

It's also been scientifically proven that Kate Moss hasn't been good for anyone's career in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Doctor J wrote:
    It represents a new low for NME pushing this tragic junkie into an early grave, milking it all the while, generate a new martyr while the poor bastard is still alive.

NME pushing Pete Doherty into an early grave? Eh no. The NME has been doing the complete opposite. If you bother to read the NME they in no terms condone drug taking. NME simply acknowledge Pete as the most important musician of this decade which is the truth.

I find your use of 'junkie' and calling the bloke a 'poor bastard' very insensitive. How many people call Kurt Cobain a 'junkie' and 'poor bastard'? Since Pete has come to the fray suddenly drug taking in rock n'roll is a crime. I am not condoning drug taking (esp. heroin) but it reflects badly upon society that so many people fell the need to bring Pete to his grave in order to fullfill their egos. Drug taking in rock n' roll has been around for decades Stones, Beatles, Morrison, Hendrix etc. Its tabloids like the Mirror and the Sun who are pushing for Pete to die of an OD so they can sell a few newspapers. I honestly hope all of those editors and journalists all rot in hell.

Anyways getting back to the thread. I'm a huge Libertines fan and absolutely devastated that it seems that they will never get back together. However I love the Babyshambles material. Tunes like 'Killamangiro', 'The Man Who Came To Stay' and 'F**K Forever' are truly stunning. Saw them live a few months ago and the gig was amazing. The band have just gone into the studio to record their debut with Mick Jones and I have no doubt that the album will be genius.

I wish people would stop dissing Pete only because of his personal issues. Give the music a chance. He is my hero because of his music and NOT of his image.

On another note thank God that this alternative/indie forum has been set up so I wont have to hear much more about sh*te like Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Yet to get a listen to any of his new stuff but judging from any interviews I've read, the guy will be committed sooner rather than later...

NME simply acknowledge Pete as the most important musician of this decade which is the truth.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he's only important to NME beacuse he shifts units for them on the strnght of his wacky junkie shenanigans. That was the most magical statement I've read in ages. Nice one :D
    I find your use of 'junkie' and calling the bloke a 'poor bastard' very insensitive. How many people call Kurt Cobain a 'junkie' and 'poor bastard'?

He's a junkie. To tell it like it is, he's addicted to drugs, he thieves from his friends, he is a junkie, dear boy, that's almost the definition in the dictionary. He shot up in fromt of a Hot Press journalist during an interview. I feel sorry for him, for his life to have ended up this way, poor bastard having every aspect of his miserable existence under scrutiny for the sake of a shock horror article. Kurt Cobain, great talent, dead guy, poor bastard, 'nuff said.

I wish people would stop dissing Pete only because of his personal issues. Give the music a chance. He is my hero because of his music and NOT of his image.

I think his music is, well, avarage at best, couple of interesting melodies here and there but overall the Libertines are this season's S.M.A.S.H. or Menswear or whoever it is NME will champion next as the greatest band in the world since the last greatest band in the world. In the grand scheme of things, I don't rate them as an important band, they will be forgotten by most. To tell the truth, I avoid music magazines like the plague, there's nought as cretinous as a music journalist and NME is the cream of the crap crop. Even from trying to avoid reading about this guy his pathetic life I know so much more about him that I ever wanted. I could've used that brain space for something useful :o
    On another note thank God that this alternative/indie forum has been set up so I wont have to hear much more about sh*te like Metallica, Megadeth or Slayer! :)

Each to their own, dear boy, if you love it, love it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

THe man is one of the best talents I've heard in a while. Looking forward to the Dublin gig.

Doctor J wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha he's only important to NME beacuse he shifts units for them on the strnght of his wacky junkie shenanigans. That was the most magical statement I've read in ages. Nice one :D

Typical. Man my advice to you is to open up your ears and stop conforming to society's anti Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines bandwagon.

Dear boy, just because I disagree with your rating of his music, don't think I'm conforming to anything other than my own agenda. I bear the guy no ill will, in fact I wish he could get himself out of the spotlight and get himself healthy beacuse he will die soon if he doesn't get out of his current situation. I wish his existence on no-one. I think it's, as I said, tragic, that this guy has so many leeches living off him, extracting what they can and generating this hype about him totally against what would be best for him. It's in so many people's interests that he dies young, that's what the journos want.

With respect to The Libertines, I do believe they acted in his interest by not playing with him until he cleans himself up. That was a very noble thing to do, they are one of the few people involved in his life who actually seem to care about Doherty the person, rather than the junkie minstrel selling so many papers and magazines.

He needs to get out of the spotlight now or he is going to die young and for the sake of a few tunes, I don't think anyone's life is worth so little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

Typical. Man my advice to you is to open up your ears and stop conforming to society's anti Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines bandwagon.

Typical, a pro Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines fan who cant take criticism so he blames it on society's anti Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines bandwagon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Typical, a pro Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines fan who cant take criticism so he blames it on society's anti Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines bandwagon

Typical, an anti-Pete/Babyshambles/Libertines person, who can't take praise..

seriously, i hate this snipting that goes on at each others taste. Forget that. Criticise the music, not each other....

Pete Doherty writes great lyrics, read them and see. He sings in an original way. Yes, I do feel sorry for him and I worry that he will kill himself, and all this media spotlight is not good for him. But I think he is a great talent. Definitely one of the most creative singers of late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Personally I think the Libertines/Babyshambles are about as original and as interesting as knitting a jumper. I agree with Doctor J that the NME are just as guilty of selling their own tabloid press on the back of his problem. He's not the first musician to take drugs so why do they hype that up? Because it's what sells. Like it or not but you'll have a lot of people buying Libertines cd's just because of the cool factor attached to them due to Pete's drug use.

And Zane, your claims that Doctor J is jumping on a bandwagon is absurd, he's the least bandwagon prone person I know on this forum.

Not to mention condescending. :rolleyes:

I'm having a go at people who have only one intent to send Pete into his coffin (Mirror, The Sun, people who label him only as a 'junkie' and most of all the people in the scene supplying him with that sh*t) thats what I'm pissed off about. I couldn't give a damn if people can't stand The Libertines/Babyshambles even though I find it very annoying when alot of judge the 2 bands on Pete's troubles and not the music from personal experience. I simply hate the way the media portray Pete and how so many people (alot on Boards.ie) have sided with the tabloid media in calling him a junkie, worthless etc.

Yes the guy has problems. I do not condone drug taking. If there is anyone on this planet who praises The Libertines for kicking him out its me. Pete has f**ked up. He got stuck on the brown and blew three expensive attempts to get over his habit. Despite his failed attempts he has tried. Heroin addiction is extremely serious as I'm sure you guys all know (I hope!). Its not something that you can just give up. I say fair play to Pete for his efforts this time around. He appears to be turning a leaf and he is back in the studio now doing what he does best ... making music. The NME has hyped Pete but this is to do with the MUSIC more than anything else I can assure you. In the issues of the NME I've read they have NEVER condoned drug taking any shape or manner. The NME have been extremely critical of the tabloids and have not made any attempt to sell issues on the back of Pete's drug problems.

Anyway lets get back to the thread I think Babyshambles are great but they will never be another Libertines. Why? A certain unsung hero called Carl Barat. I'm really looking forward to Carl's solo album later on in the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

pete doherty is a true artist, magical in his field and in the world of poetry, have a look at his books of albion on the babyshambles website,

the album will be great - no doubt it will include killamagiro, the man who came to stay and the unbelievable **** forever - a brilliant song for anyone who hasnt heard it,

babyshambles were amazing in the village and i cant wait to see them may 14th in the ambassador, got my tickets in post yesterday was delighted,

pete was the driving force behind the libertines - hence they are gone without him,
    i do hope carl does well on his own, and yeti also sound like a good band

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

kate moss isn't necessarily bad for your career - look at johnny depp
    i love babyshambles, not as much as ilove the libs but i love em all the same. i do think that pete doherty is a waste of talent but at the same time, if he does keep up this way, he will end up dead, and twenty years from now, people will be treating him as the ian curtis/kurt cobain of the noughties, as sad as it is.
    and i hope that the album will be released before the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Altheus

Are Babyshambles the same thing as when he had his diary on the net and all of those mp3s of him and his acoustic, stuff like "True Love grows on trees"?

Altheus wrote:
    Are Babyshambles the same thing as when he had his diary on the net and all of those mp3s of him and his acoustic, stuff like "True Love grows on trees"?

Yeah I think I have downloaded the mp3's you are talking about. I can't honestly be sure which ones are Pete tunes, Libs tunes or Shambles tunes. I know Albion (what a beautiful song) is a song that was from The libertines period and Pete and Carl played that often I think Arcady is also a Libs tune but I dont believe either were released as b sides on singles. My Darling Clementine is a Babyshambles song all the way but the others I reckon are Petes own stuff but he probably will use them for Babyshambles.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I recommend you check out "The Freewheelin Pete Doherty". It's just Pete himself, acoustic, produced reasonably well in some session or other last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭ronano

Libs:

First album - great
    Second album - pretty piss poor with a few decent songs

Babyshambles - what i've heard so good so far but the sound of the songs is kinda eh,the tone of the guitar or something,**** forever is fantastic

Pete can write some great lyrics but overall they are drivel or boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Doctor J wrote:
    Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Thats exactly what i thought when i read that statement...rofl.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

well, i love babyshambles/libs/pete, whatever. i enjoy their/his music a lot and hope he/they make more...
    cant wait for gig á l'ambassador, should be greeeat..
    and tis to be a july release for the album, so guess get d'ling if you wanna hear their stuff..
    killamangiro, man who came to stay , f*ck forever, skag and bone man, lust of the libertines, gang of gin, do you know me and i love you (but you're green) be my personal recommendations...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭jayneemac

libertines/babyshambles = talentless F***WITS

the worst hype ever, so glad i don't waste any more money to that NME poo rag of a paper!
    :mad:

i do thuarim..
    it's crazy though, people attack the libs/babyshambles/pete so aggressively, but not like, good charlotte or something.
    i guess some people just like to create conflict for no reason..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭Ro: maaan!

Wouldn't it be just as reasonless to attack Good Charlotte?

I assume it's just that Pete is surrounded by such "hype" and people feel as though he doesn't deserve it. What amazes me is that people seem to focus on him being a "junkie" even though there are many many many people in bands who do drugs and no one seems to have a problem with that. I quite dislike drugs and the use of them, but a lot of my friends use them and I don't hold it against them. I'm sure it's the same for these people calling Pete a junkie. The music is really the only thing that will ever effect me.

To be perfectly honest apart from seeing the "odd" headline on NME.com I haven't heard anything about Pete or Babyshambles. I never read the paper, or anything like that. I'll read reviews of gigs and stuff, but nothing further. I liked the Libertines, but all I really knew about them back then was what I heard from their songs or saw in their videos. All I know about Babyshambles is one song and what someone from boards wrote about their gig in the Village. Seemed to me like a really good gig and from he said about Pete in it he sounds like a pretty decent guy.

I have a feeling that if everyone who complained about Babyshambles only knew their music, they wouldn't have such a problem with them. Odd that, because they complain about all the coverage they get, and yet base their opinions on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

I would hazard that a lot of people who say Pete Doherty is a talentless junkie or words to that effect, don't know much about him or his music. People like him don't become famous for no reason. When the first Libertines song, 'What a Waster' was played in 2002, did someone from NME suddenly think, "One of the people in this band is a junkie, lets make him famous!". Of course not. Their album, and thus the band members, got a lot of coverage because people enjoyed the music and wanted to know more about them.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not saying everyone should like Pete Doherty or the Babyshambles, or even the Libertines. I'm simply saying, give them a chance. If you have already and you don't like them, then fine, you don't like Pete Doherty's music, but you have to accept and respect the fact that a lot of people do like his music.

As for his personal problems, yeah, he's a drug addict. But so are / were countless other musicians. Jim Morrisson, Kurt Cobain, Ozzy Osbourne, Janis Joplin, Bob Marley and many, many more. That was their problem. In some cases it killed them, in others they got over it and in others again it just messed them up, but it doesn't take away from the fact that they were all idolised for their music and their problems became inconsequential.

well, the hype and the consequences it has really just seems to be the result of media attention on pete.. i mean, ive seen countless newspapers thingamys calling pete a loser, rambling on about his run ins with the law and relationship with kate moss etc, but, as everyone on this side of the argument seems to be saying, it shouldnt really be about that, should it?
    and it wouldnt be as senseless to attack good charlotte, as i dont like them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

they are a fooking great band dont call em junkies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Anyone who's been onto Pete's website "Books of Albion" can see he's a pretty messed up little boy. The similarities with that Kurt Cobain "Journals" book are amazing really. But I don't think he'll be so stupid as to die from the drug abuse, he's surrounded by people (that manager dude from Oasis limits his cash, you know) who have a vested interest in seeing him live long enough to fulfill all the potential he has to earn them some dough.

As for the music, the Libertines stuff that I've heard so far is like a breath of fresh air. Babyshambles are a different tack but I think the album will make or break them. Watch out for Barat's release to, I reckon he sometimes gets overlooked because of Pete's drug use/ thing with Kate Moss/ general rioting habits, but his album could be a real gem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

havent really bothered with NME in years what with the ringtones & the fact that the editor is a 12 year old schoolboy.So i havent read any of the pete doherty saga.however if the recent hotpress article is anything to go by the press really are making a tragic junkie hero out of him.The article was nothing short of a cringing ass kissing glorification of his pitifully fuc-ked up state (oh & did we mention he plays music as well?)
    what scares me is the fact that they seem to be predicting (or egging on?)his inevitable downfall/death whatever.
    kurt Cobain was a junkie & got the same type of press until he died .
    Its cringeworthy really, the guy is talented but how much of the coverage is really focussed on his talent even if it offers praise.
    It kinda reminds me of Pat Kenny wheeling out Shane McGowan for an interview every once in a while,the guy is a genius songwriter/lyricist but you'd have to wonder about the motives....
    Either way i'd imagine NME already have their pete doherty obituary issue ready to print just in case....

• Advertisement
Advertisement