Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTV Broadband Rant Thread

• 23-03-2005 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭

Just thought I would start a thread for this rant of mine, purely inspired by the other UTV thread here

I have sent my story to IrelandOffline too

Take this as my warning of a bad experience though

Ordered on the 15th Feb 2005.

Line was activated for UTV Broadband on the 16th of Feb.

Yesterday (22nd March) I found out that my modem was not due to be delivered until "a later date"

I then proceeded to cancel my "free trial", and now I cannot get service from another provider as UTV have to put through a cancellation, which could take up to 30 days :eek:

GGRRRRRRRRR!!!! :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Now that You've cancelled the free trial and you line has been activated does that now mean that you cant get a free trial with anyother company?

But it does sound like you're in the minority as seen in the other thread with some people getting their modem in 4 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭My name is Mud

well, talking to the surprisingly helpful eircom guys, eircom will give me their 1st time offer but all that needs to be done is for UTV to release my line "back into the pool" (as such).

I hope this dosent go pear shaped... you know what happens when it goes fruity....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just thought I would start a thread for this rant of mine, purely inspired by the other UTV thread here

Yesterday (22nd March) I found out that my modem was not due to be delivered until "a later date"

I then proceeded to cancel my "free trial", and now I cannot get service from another provider as UTV have to put through a cancellation, which could take up to 30 days :eek:

I presume you mean that it was activated on 16th March?

A lady I know spent two days waiting in for the modem (they gave an either or date!) and when she finally rang late on the second day they told her they were out of stock of modems!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 mancman

When your account was activated you should have got an email from creative labs containing details of how to track and trace your modem. A few friends found this facility extremely efficient and were able to request the modems be delivered to work without any problems.

When I had my account activated I got tracking details for parcel force and was able to obtain my quite easily.

maybe in your haste you didn't look for this information and hence missed your modem's delivery and it was returned to the depot and it out stayed its welcome and you would have to wait on a 2nd one being despatched.

As for the following punter:
    A lady I know spent two days waiting in for the modem (they gave an either or date!) and when she finally rang late on the second day they told her they were out of stock of modems!!!!!

As has been stated in other threads, the modems are sent out by creative labs themselves and hence UTV aren;t the ones controlling the stock levels. When she was told of the lack of creative's stock by UTV staff, did she ask for the start date of her free trial be altered to time she got her modem?

I shall bet she did alright, in fact, she was probably offered this to make up for her inconvenience, as I know this happened quite a number of people in the same predicament through various other forums and newsgroups.

I'd say you've failed to give both sides of your story soley cos this is a rant thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

*sigh* i know this is a coincidence, but..

did half the internet just die for anyone else on UTV? I'm getting at boards through ni-cache.utvinternet.ie...

C:\Documents and Settings\Andrew1>tracert boards.ie

Tracing route to boards.ie [82.195.144.58]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 31 ms 31 ms 16 ms 10.0.0.2
    2 16 ms 31 ms 16 ms 195.218.116.25
    3 16 ms 31 ms 16 ms UTV-DUB-fastethernet0-0.116.218.195.in-addr.arpa
    [195.218.116.1]
    4 15 ms 31 ms 16 ms 195.218.126.178
    5 16 ms 31 ms 15 ms 195.218.112.2
    6 15 ms 31 ms 16 ms 195.218.112.197
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.

:confused:

• Advertisement

mancman wrote:
    As for the following punter:

As has been stated in other threads, the modems are sent out by creative labs themselves and hence UTV aren;t the ones controlling the stock levels. When she was told of the lack of creative's stock by UTV staff, did she ask for the start date of her free trial be altered to time she got her modem?

I shall bet she did alright, in fact, she was probably offered this to make up for her inconvenience, as I know this happened quite a number of people in the same predicament through various other forums and newsgroups.

I'd say you've failed to give both sides of your story soley cos this is a rant thread.

The contract is with UTV so it is UTV's responsibility to ensure that the modem is delivered on time. And if you check the support group around the middle of January you will see that UTV do in fact order the modems themselves.
    We ordere X-hundred modem for stock, and when our records show that we're getting low we just order more. It's a very simple ordering process.

If UTV are contracting Creative Labs then it is up to UTV to have a system in place to ensure that Creative labs do not waste people's time. The lady in question wasted two days waiting in for her modem to be delivered. The fact that you are aware of this happening to other people shows that the system is not working properly. I am sure that even the best systems fall down but in that case surely the people concerned could have been contacted by phone? UTV were aware of the situation on the Friday (the second day of the 'wait'}] but on their own admission did not make any effort to contact the customers affected by the stock outs.

There was no mention in this lady's case of a tracking facility (nor in the case of another friend of mine who also get the Creative Modem) And you cannot track items that are not even there to be despatched.

UTV did not offer to extend the start date of her trial and even if they did it would not make up for the waste of two days it is simply a recognition of reality.

It is silly to make bets when you are not familiar with a situation. You might be less inclined to defend UTV if you were actually a customer of theirs.

And you might like to know that UTV customers are yet again experiencing loss of service this morning. But I am sure UTV will make a suitable gesture to make up for it :rolleyes:

andrew163 wrote:
    *sigh* i know this is a coincidence, but..

did half the internet just die for anyone else on UTV? I'm getting at boards through ni-cache.utvinternet.ie...

:confused:

Yep and complaints in the newsgroup too - very strange behaviour tonight :rolleyes:

dub45 wrote:
    The contract is with UTV so it is UTV's responsibility to ensure that the modem is delivered on time. And if you check the support group around the middle of January you will see that UTV do in fact order the modems themselves.

If UTV are contracting Creative Labs then it is up to UTV to have a system in place to ensure that Creative labs do not waste people's time. The lady in question wasted two days waiting in for her modem to be delivered. The fact that you are aware of this happening to other people shows that the system is not working properly. I am sure that even the best systems fall down but in that case surely the people concerned could have been contacted by phone? UTV were aware of the situation on the Friday (the second day of the 'wait'}] but on their own admission did not make any effort to contact the customers affected by the stock outs.

There was no mention in this lady's case of a tracking facility (nor in the case of another friend of mine who also get the Creative Modem) And you cannot track items that are not even there to be despatched.

UTV did not offer to extend the start date of her trial and even if they did it would not make up for the waste of two days it is simply a recognition of reality.

It is silly to make bets when you are not familiar with a situation. You might be less inclined to defend UTV if you were actually a customer of theirs.

And you might like to know that UTV customers are yet again experiencing loss of service this morning. But I am sure UTV will make a suitable gesture to make up for it :rolleyes:

I'm guessing your not even a utv customer and yet you can come on here and argue the point fully from hearing someone elses comments/experience.....2 words for ya....first one begins with an 'f' & 2nd ones off m8 ;)

read my other threads and you'll see my point fully...just for the record, I am a utv customer and have been for roughly 5 years and hence I can back my sentiments fully.

mancman wrote:
    I'm guessing your not even a utv customer and yet you can come on here and argue the point fully from hearing someone elses comments/experience.....2 words for ya....first one begins with an 'f' & 2nd ones off m8 ;)

read my other threads and you'll see my point fully...just for the record, I am a utv customer and have been for roughly 5 years and hence I can back my sentiments fully.

You should stop guessing. In this case you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

You are not a ROI utv customer - you may be able to back up your own sentiments - you know nothing about what you are commenting on here.

dub45 wrote:
    You should stop guessing. In this case you dont have a clue what you are talking about.

You are not a ROI utv customer - you may be able to back up your own sentiments - you know nothing about what you are commenting on here.

My guesses are correct.

I know more than you think and I also know more about it than you will ever know.

best you quit while you will never be ahead lol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

This is starting to turn into a flame war here...

moriarty2hp.jpg

Somebody please nuke that mancman troll.

dub45 wrote:
    I presume you mean that it was activated on 16th March?
    oh no, account activated on the 16th Feb! No Modem for a month and a bit - great "free trial" from those nordy eejits....
    mancman wrote:
    When your account was activated you should have got an email from creative labs containing details of how to track and trace your modem.
    Nope. Even e-mailed and rung about it - no information from those nordy eejits

oh no, account activated on the 16th Feb! No Modem for a month and a bit - great "free trial" from those nordy eejits....

Nope. Even e-mailed and rung about it - no information from those nordy eejits

Are you sure your line was activated it in one day?

dub45 wrote:
    Are you sure your line was activated it in one day?
    goddammit!

I was on the phone to eircom about this, and my line WAS ACTIVATED FOR BROADBAND BY ANOTHER PROVIDER ON THE 16TH OF FEB 2005!!!!

While DSL has been ruled out for the immediate time wouldn't IBB be available to you. They don't seem to be bad if you've a good line of site to the base station and what about NTL even, are they available in your area?

Infini wrote:
    While DSL has been ruled out for the immediate time wouldn't IBB be available to you. They don't seem to be bad if you've a good line of site to the base station and what about NTL even, are they available in your area?
    NTL is unavailable in my area. They have no estimated date of arrival.

IBB does not have Ripwave in my area, and the mgt company of my apartment block will not permit me to put up the Breeze equipment on the building

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mobpd

I recently got my modem for UTV bb - it was despatched a week after my line activation - I wasnt in and a card was put through the door - the delivering company were Interlink - no Track and Trace number (as someone said earlier) but the delivery guy's phone number - we rang him and he said we couldnt have the modem delivered elsewhere (eg work) so we arranged for someone to be in the house at an estimated time the following day and he turned up on time with the modem. Not bad

mobpd wrote:
    I recently got my modem for UTV bb - it was despatched a week after my line activation - I wasnt in and a card was put through the door - the delivering company were Interlink - no Track and Trace number (as someone said earlier) but the delivery guy's phone number - we rang him and he said we couldnt have the modem delivered elsewhere (eg work) so we arranged for someone to be in the house at an estimated time the following day and he turned up on time with the modem. Not bad
    I feel sick... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Did they single me out for crap service or something?

Is it because I make fun of that Julian character on UTV??

NTL is unavailable in my area. They have no estimated date of arrival.

IBB does not have Ripwave in my area, and the mgt company of my apartment block will not permit me to put up the Breeze equipment on the building

I see. The best thing you can do now would probably to put through the cancellation notice and switch providers the long way. Check if you can get smart. For E35 a month it might be some consolation for all the crap you got from UTV.

Infini wrote:
    I see. The best thing you can do now would probably to put through the cancellation notice and switch providers the long way. Check if you can get smart. For E35 a month it might be some consolation for all the crap you got from UTV.
    Cancellation was put through already - but UTV "take up to 30 days to cancel service" :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tried Smart, and wont be in my area until August...

• Advertisement

Cancellation was put through already - but UTV "take up to 30 days to cancel service" :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tried Smart, and wont be in my area until August...

Well from the way it sound's you'll have to cancel the line first regardless so if your going with eircom you might as well start now. BTW you let the guys at irelandOffline know about this so it might get you some kind of vengence against UTV for this bull. :)

goddammit!

I was on the phone to eircom about this, and my line WAS ACTIVATED FOR BROADBAND BY ANOTHER PROVIDER ON THE 16TH OF FEB 2005!!!!

Apologies I was just trying to confirm that a line had been activated in one day - that definitely would be some sort of record. I was not taking issue with your complaint.

Infini - sent my story to IrelandOffline already.

I was thinking about going to the ombudsman or someone like that. UTV say that they give you 4 months free rental, however in my case, if my modem ever arrived, they would say:

"broadband activated on the 16th Feb, 4 months free from that date"

whereas I am sitting at home paying line rental for a phone line that has broadband service, but no modem to use..

Dub45 - no worries - i wan't taking jabs at you! I was more surprised that my line could get activated in one day too! Thats why I rung eircom to confirm this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

You can canecel the line and reactivate it (with a new number) the next day.

That will show on the line test database within 3 weeks.

Then get a free trial on that new number with anyone you want

Infini - sent my story to IrelandOffline already.

I was thinking about going to the ombudsman or someone like that. UTV say that they give you 4 months free rental, however in my case, if my modem ever arrived, they would say:

"broadband activated on the 16th Feb, 4 months free from that date"

whereas I am sitting at home paying line rental for a phone line that has broadband service, but no modem to use..
    s

UTV have stated in the support group that they will start the trial on the first day you connect as distinct from when you are activated. But they had to be 'encouraged' on this as usual!
    If the subscription start date has
    slipped due to having no modem, we'll just adjust the account to
    reflect the date of it's arrival.

dub45 wrote:
    UTV have stated in the support group that they will start the trial on the first day you connect as distinct from when you are activated. But they had to be 'encouraged' on this as usual!

If the subscription start date has
    slipped due to having no modem, we'll just adjust the account to
    reflect the date of it's arrival.

Thank you so much for proving my point correct.

As for Infini, flame all ya want but at the end of the day it just proves that you can't accept someone having a different opinion to yours ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

I know it's not ideal, bit why don't you buy or borrow your own modem and hook it up? Why wait? At least the modem is yours then so if you cancel or move to another provider, you still have the modem and you'll also be able to access your account now instead of waiting???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Actually, jot that. Locking the thread.

If you've had problems with UTV complain to them. Or ComReg. Moaning here will get you nowhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement