Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Cards and I

Options
  • 23-03-2005 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi All,
    can anyone advise what are the best cards to get and whare I can get them in Dublin? Until recently I've been using Bicycle cards from special days on Grafton Street. I need a few new decks but don't have a car so I'd much rather go somewhere in town then out to liffey valley(I think thats where the only special days is now). I was looking at fullhousepokerchips.com but they're 6 bucks, online!!!!

Also, the matter of the introduction. I'm Dan from Wexford. Been up in Dublin and playing weekly poker for about 6 years now. Mostly home games. Started going to the Merrion(& that place up by ainger st) for freerolls a couple of years back, didn't do too well and left it go. Basically at the time I was a poor student and couldn't really go by the theory that I'd get knocked out in 15 or so tournaments to win one and make a profit from the ticket. It was a problem of needing cash up front.

After I left college I was enslvaed in Bray by an evil multinational who made me work cruel and long hours. Basically every time I got back to town it was about 7 or 8 and there's no way I can go to a tournament as if I do well I'll get about 10 minutes sleep before I'm up again at 6:30. going out on the bubble in these situations is the most painful thing imaginable.

This has all ended now with me working about 5 mintues from where live, which is also about 5 minutes from the fitz(can't believe the dolly bird went for that one). I'm closer even then Grattans.(and I only charge €4 per pint :D )

Anyway I've been to the fitz a bit but am unsure of the freerolls/lotteries there. Last 3 or four times I've been rivered out of the tournament by people making terrible calls. eg. the last I remember was a J 7 calling my large preflop raise with A J suited when I'm on the button. Flop brings two jacks, we're both all in and the river brings his 7 :eek: . It's times like that when I have to bite my lip, remember that if I played the same hand a thousand times blah blah blah and by some strange theory even though I lost I won. So even though he's raking my chips in , he lost. How reassuring!!! Anyway someday soon I'm going to break out in a Phil Helmuth style response to getting rivered out of a tournament. 'WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING CALLING?? BLAH BLAH BLAH, RA RAH ARH'

Anyway a few weeks ago I decided that I'd go to the cash game on a friday night where the play might be a bit better(read:less insane) and I finished in a nice fourth place. At the time I was delighted simply to break my tournament cherry but the hand I went out on I was all in with a guy for about 40% of the total chips and my pocket aces(delightfully checkraised into him) were busted by his KQ when he flopped 2 more kings. However I had my fair share of luck that night(which I believe is essential to any tournament placing) and realise that I was fortunate to be at the final table in the first place. I'll defo be going to more tournaments up there now. The freerolls have been nothing but cruel to me but I don't believe in luck and realise that they're worth taking a shot at(if only to get that bastard with J 7 :mad: )

As regards cash games I've been regularly taking money off my friends. My books say that I've only been down one week since September which is nice. The feckers are on to me though and are starting to tighten up like crazy nowadays. As a result I've had to zag a bit of late but I still think that I can take 'em.

Anyway, I've had friends (whiteshadow the gob****e!!) on boards but couldn't access the site from my last job so this is me introducing myself. I'm new to boards and new-ish to the fitz but I does know and love ma pokah!!!

Why introduce myself?? Well I'm taking it easy in my new job so they don't expect too much of me in the future. I've read ever poker post going back to '02 on boards so I know quite a bit about ye allready and figured I should balance the scales.

The only thing I can add to the words of wisdow contained in these pages is to take a look at this site www.winningonlinepoker.com . Way back on some post from '03 someone asked about omaha. This site has an excellent intorduction to Pot Limit and Pot Limit Hi/Lo or PLO8. Very easy for the acomplished hold 'em player to understand and quite brief as well.

P.S. whiteshadow, I don't really think you're a gob****e. see you thursday night suckah!!

Advertisement