Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No news : Ireland most expensive place for broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

good post, except that table was made by users of these very boards. :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=60

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Already been done - And is that table even still accurate as most users will be upgraded to 1-2mbps services and smart rolling out their service.. Although I/OL have done great work, I think their sources and timing is very selective considering the release of new products over the next few weeks. But yes, over the last few years, Ireland's bang for your buck in the broadband market was horrible.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Japan has a standard DL rate of 50Mbps?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Japan has a standard DL rate of 50Mbps?

They're the most technologically advanced country on the planet of course they have speeds that fast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Infini wrote:
    They're the most technologically advanced country on the planet of course they have speeds that fast!

thats true but like Ireland not all of Japan is enabled !!!! The major cities are !! but the islands and outer regions are like us!

:-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hmm, by going with adslguides method and adjusting it for the new 1mb Eircom products, Ireland now jumps to 18th palce on the table.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dlofnep wrote:
    Already been done - And is that table even still accurate as most users will be upgraded to 1-2mbps services and smart rolling out their service.. Although I/OL have done great work, I think their sources and timing is very selective considering the release of new products over the next few weeks. But yes, over the last few years, Ireland's bang for your buck in the broadband market was horrible.

Despite my calculations that Ireland would jump to 18th place on the ADSLGuides table with the introduction of the 1mb products. It till doesn't take from the fact that the price for entry level bb in Ireland is €39.98 and that in euro terms that makes us 27th most expensive in Europe.

Eircom claim that the 1mb product would boost uptake of BB, it won't. People who haven't gotten bb yet (and who can), haven't gotten it because it was 512k instead of 1m, of course not, they haven't gotten it because the entry level price remains too high. Joe soap just doesn't want to pay €40 per month for the internet.

I know many people who won't get bb at the moment because €40 is too expensive, but they would be happy to get it if there was a 512k/128k product for about €30 per month. The difference between 1m and 512k wouldn't effect them in the slightest.

In fact many would also jump at a 256k/64k product if it was available for about €20.

Why hasn't Eircom introduced such products yet? There is no technical reason why they can't, the only reason they don't want to do it is because they want to keep the profit margins of BB artifically high, while not eating into their revenue streams from ISDN and dial-up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

50MB`S jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

ricey wrote:
    50MB`S jesus.

Ohh yeah !! NOT CAPPED !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

Japan has a standard DL rate of 50Mbps
    I hate this argument, its like saying to a person with no money and no food, they have food in the shop, and its cheap!
    its a non-argument.
    we live in Ireland, things are expensive and low value but thats ireland! If broadband was the most important thing in the world then maybe the argument is valid, but residential bradband is really just a luxury, that we managed fine without!
    This will probly get me banned (again) from this board but its not too long ago we had no Broadband in ireland and we should be happy with what we got in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

dlofnep wrote:
    Already been done - And is that table even still accurate as most users will be upgraded to 1-2mbps services and smart rolling out their service.

Since nothing will be upgraded til at least April 8th the table is very accurate. The table is based on historical data too not on future guesses. It is also based on entry level 512k packages. When eircom change to 1mb which is entry level (not 2mb) we will redo the table to match it with the current offers in the 29 other OECD countries. I'm confident we won't move many places in the table. I wish we could.

Smart's broadband service when it comes out of vapourware and into the realm of the real world will change the table too. Hold your breath for it, I dare you.
    Although I/OL have done great work, I think their sources and timing is very selective considering the release of new products over the next few weeks.

Sources and timing ? Check out the forum and the thread where over the past few weeks we were building the table with the help of boards.ie members.

I'll agree with what BK says too. We need an adsl broadband product with an entry level price of around €30 without signing over your phone service to the company.

Lastly line rental should be factored in too. €24 a month in Ireland is €8 above the EU average. In fact the next most expensive country for line rental is Luxembourg and they're €18. That impacts a LOT on broadband prices when you can only get BB over a phoneline.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭uteotw

Intersting data about landlines in the EU.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=173646

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Well, they brought down the price of LLU line rental to €14.65 which is still a complete rip-off. But it's other telcos pay that, not the consumer.

The Irish consumer forks over €24 a month for line rental. €8 higher than the EU avg.

(Yes, I am like a broken record.)

Advertisement