Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protest today for return of deported Nigerian Leaving Cert Student (12:30pm)

• 23-03-2005 12:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭

Is anyone going? It's a fairly disgraceful situation; hopefully a few bodies on the street can get him back to Ireland to (at least) finish his leaving cert...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What about the rest of the deportee's, who also FAILED their asylum applications? Are you going to try to get them back as well?

Hope you the very worst in your attempt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Due process has been followed and the law has been carried out. It is not pleasant, but that's the result when a majority of citizens vote to enact legislation to control immigration. He got a chance to make his case, his application was judged bogus and now he is being deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

first this has fuk all to do with the trinity forum, and is spam.

Second, he got a fair chance, which is a hell of allot more then most countries give.

third, why would htey allow him finish his leaving cert, it will be no use to him where he's going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

wow - opened up a whole can of worms here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

While I agree that it is disgraceful, I also have to agree with aodh_rua. Due process has been followed, we cannot just exempt one person.

I'd personally like to see a change in policy..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

People are treated fairly here by european and western standards. If he had just cause to stay he would have been allowed. This would have been the end of a process that took months, he would have been fully aware he was due to be exported. I see no need for a change in policy. These weren't nazi foot soldier that took him in the dead of the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I know a guy who was in much the same position - deported the year of his LC - and while it is ****ing sickening and all - its the law here. get over it. if you want to change things, campaign against the current immigration laws, as opposed to championing one case just because of its sob story appeal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

its wrong to say "ah luck he's good in school We'll keep him" then turn around and send hundreds more home just because we dont know them or whatever. He got his chance, its just different now because he was "brainy" we should keep him. balls to that I'm sure there are other people out there that need help more than him. Im not racist at all but I dont agree with different laws or whatever for brainy fookers and other laws for not so brainy/friendly fookers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Boston wrote:
    People are treated fairly here by european and western standards. If he had just cause to stay he would have been allowed. This would have been the end of a process that took months, he would have been fully aware he was due to be exported. I see no need for a change in policy. These weren't nazi foot soldier that took him in the dead of the night.
    I see where you're coming from with regards asylum seekers. There is a tendancy for them to be economically motivated which in itself is no crime, but it is an abuse of the idea of asylum. These people DO need to be weeded out.

Where I see a need for looser policy is with immigration in general, ie migrant workers, citizenship etc. This is of course only my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Wayyy OT , locked.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement