Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quadriplegic controls PC by mind power alone

Options
  • 23-03-2005 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

Mods; move as you see fit. I couldn't decide where to put this.

http://www.theregister.com/2005/03/22/mind_power_pc/
    A US company has carried out trials on a brain implant which offers quadriplegics the possibility of controlling a computer by mind-power alone. Although the first volunteer to use the Cyberkinetics Neurotechnology Systems' BrainGate has so far been able only to move an on-screen cursor, play the game Pong and transmit simple instructions to a robotic arm, the developers hope that in the future, paralysis will not be an obstacle to surfing the web, sending email and generally enjoying the PC experience.

It doesn't look like a hoax, as;
    the Food and Drug Administration has authorised Cyberkinetics to try out the system on four further volunteers.
    And they don't allow for human test subjects too easily.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

That's the first steps. Won't be long till the day when we can get the machine do what we want to do, as fast as we think about it. I'm sure it takes a good bit of training though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

As far back as the Apollo Space program for the US moon landing they were able to control switches by tracking eye movements. I'd reckon that for most users having the eyes control the cursor and brainwaves clicking might be easier. I'd much rather wear a helmet with a few electrodes than have surgery with 100 of the things implanted. Unless they get could full interpretation of the movement of mising limbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

One of my friends is doing her final year project on something like this. She's not using brain implants though! :eek: I think she has some electrodes that measure the EEG's and amplify them then tranmist them to a base station, which can turn on lights ect. Sound pretty interesting I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

I went on a class trip to some place out at guinness where they were developing a thing like this. They were using electrodes (I think) and this gel. It didn't work very well though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I was watching a millitary program on the discovery channel a while back. It featured aviation developments. They had a basic simulator which the pilot would try to "fly" the plane through rings. From what I recall the pilot wore a helmet that read his thoughts and controled left and right motion. There wasn't much detail given on how it worked though

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I went on a class trip to some place out at guinness where they were developing a thing like this.
    could come in handy after a couple of pints of the stuff when you're legless...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

could come in handy after a couple of pints of the stuff when you're legless..

Was that pun intentional?! :D

Advertisement