Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'd love some feedback here guys...

Options
  • 20-08-2001 12:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I work on a gaming website, http://www.gamerseurope.com/ , and I was wondering how the current design sits with you people.

We are seriously considering redesigning the site, but I've become so used to the old design that looking at the situation from an objective point of view is now virtually impossible i.e. deciding whether or not we need to change it.

And that's where you come in... basically, do you like it or not?
    By the way one of our webbie's is playing around with a new design at http://www.gamerseurope.com/temp which you can have a gander at if you like, criticisms welcome.

Gamers Europe :: Keeping It Simple

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I like the layout of the second one, but it lacks the (insert buzzword) of the first one, but similarly, the layout of the first one leaves a bit to be desired - lot of scrolling to be done (I have a teeny screen), kinda plain, but cool borders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Nice-looking site, but verrrrry slow to load, and the spelling is a little iffy (it should be "we're" for "we are", not "were" - the apostrophe (') represents the missing letter in the closed-up words).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

The original is much better.

The layout is a lot clearer. The colours are nicer. The navigation is more obvious (although the left-hand-side links could do with some work graphically).

The only nice this about the new design is that the screenshots are more striking.

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fand:
    Nice-looking site, but verrrrry slow to load</font>

Both loaded up nice and quick for me.

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

[This message has been edited by beaver (edited 20-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by beaver:
    The original is much better.

The layout is a lot clearer. The colours are nicer. The navigation is more obvious (although the left-hand-side links could do with some work graphically).

The only nice this about the new design is that the screenshots are more striking.

-Ross

</font>

I was actually going to post about this tonight but when I was looking through the counter I saw links to this, so no need eh?

As regards to the left nav bar buttons, I'll get someone to make ones in the same style as the news buttons and channel buttons.

Thanks for all the feedback people, it's given us a sense of what people think of the template and i think from your reactions that we're in no need to change it any time soon.

www.gamerseurope.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Fand

Couple of questions: did you make the page in html or use a web building program, and if so which?

How do you get those nice curvy lines and fields and things? Tres stylish.

Perhaps the reason the page loaded so slowly for me the first time was that I was loading from a Mac Powerbook G3?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

It was originally coded in Front Page (much to my dismay) by one of the webbies. I re-coded it by hand recently because I was sick of working with the code. The borders are simply images inside table cells.

[This message has been edited by Discharger Snake (edited 20-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Looks very very similar to www.guistuff.com

-Dave

[This message has been edited by irishassassin! (edited 20-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Yeah a bit of a long story that. The guy who originally set up the site had drawn up his own design (according to him at least), but it wasn't suitable for what we were after, so we gave it to another fella to play with.

He messed around with the images and general layout and came up with the current design. It kind of bores me a bit at this stage, but you guys seem to like it smile.gif

So anyway 6 months down the line we come accross this topic on a forum the original designer frequents, accusing him of ripping some template from this freebie site and passing it off as his own. It turned out this was the same template he had given us in the beginning, and had in use on numerous of his own little hub sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I don't like the "temp" one - too hard on the eyes, too much black in the b/g, not as professional looking as the existing layout. As for the existing look, - I've said it before and I'll say it again- the graphics and the colours work very nicely and the site itself is very aesthetically pleasing. However, I prefer the way you used to have it (with the large coloured "metallic" text saying "sony", "ps2", etc.) - it looked more balanced and attractive.

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭MarkMI6

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:
    I don't like the "temp" one - too hard on the eyes, too much black in the b/g, not as professional looking as the existing layout. As for the existing look, - I've said it before and I'll say it again- the graphics and the colours work very nicely and the site itself is very aesthetically pleasing. However, I prefer the way you used to have it (with the large coloured "metallic" text saying "sony", "ps2", etc.) - it looked more balanced and attractive.

</font>

Why thank you very much, it makes it all worth while when you get some praise for running a nice looking and when the scripts are working a daily updated site.

When you say metallic lettering, do you mean the ones that were a bright blue and we used up until about three days ago? Or do you mean the ones we used for channel links several months ago, which were kinda chunky in style?

www.gamerseurope.com

Advertisement