Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid type game alternatives?

Options
  • 23-03-2005 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭

After switching my PS2 on for the first time in months to play MSG3 I think Im hooked again. Are there any MSG type games which are just as addictive? Ive had a look at Splinter Cell reviews and I dont think its for me. *some* stealth in a game is great but SC looks like all stealth and a bit boring. Suggestions please ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I don't know what game you're talking about. MSG? But if you're talking about MGS, I don't know if anything comes close to it's type of game play other than Splinter Cell but I don't like that game. If there is I'm interested as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭PullMyFinger!

Meant MGS, "MSG" is something I dont like in my food ;)

Is Half Life any good on the PS2? (Im guessing its crap) or Time Splitters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

timesplitters is freekin deadly if you have mates,

get timespltters 2 if you dont....

I've heard Half Life 2 is pretty good, but that's what I've HEARD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

Illuvatar wrote:
    I've heard Half Life 2 is pretty good, but that's what I've HEARD.
    dont think it works too well on the ps2 tho :rolleyes:

Chalk wrote:
    dont think it works too well on the ps2 tho :rolleyes:

Meant HL1. Some good reviews here http://www.rottentomatoes.com/g/playstation_2/half_life/

"A faithful conversion of a venerable PC classic, with a frenzied and long-lasting single-player mission that's still some of the best fun you can have with a gun."

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭teck-x5

Try Head Hunter 1 & 2 - Old enough but still a great game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Half-life is done well on the PS2, and it has a co-op mode which is a good laugh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Boktai on the GBA is great. Its quite like MGS and made by Hideo Kojima. Only problem with it is the sunlight sensor so you need good weather to play it.

Failing that get an msx emulator and play MG and Solid Snake: Metal Gear 2. They are old but still great fun. There are unofficial translated versions of the roms available. Stay away from the NES version of Metal Gear. It's terrible other than the hilarious translation 'the truck have started moving'.

Thanks retro I was thinking about getting the one for NES. What's msx?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Syphon Filter 1, 2 and 3 on the PSX were fine games, more action orientated then MGS but with some stealth involved as well.

You can pick em all up dirt cheap in Gamestop!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

MSX is an old computer system. It was meant to introduce a standard spec to PC's but failed. Did quite well in japan and was very popular in russia and eastern europe. Unfortunately it flopped in America.

Seriously don't play the nes games. MG1 is terrible on the nes and bears very little resemblance to the msx version and snakes revenge wasn't made by hideo kojima and isn't actually part of the story. Not very good either. MG1 on the msx is still playable and rather good fun even though it suffers from slowdown that plaqued the msx. MG2: Solid Snake on the other hand is a classic that was way ahead of its time.

As for emulators RUMSX runs fine unless its in full screen. There are other good ones. They are kind of tricky but thee is a famous MG2: solid snake translation site that gives good instructions on how to run the games in emulators. Can't give you the name of the site because of the charter but it takes very little effort to find on google ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

there's metal gear solid on the gameboy colour. largely considered to be that system's best game.

Bought HL1 today 2nd hand for 15 euros, even if its woeful its still good value.

Almost forgot about MGS on the GBC. Fantastic little game.

FYI people. The stealth camo is too cool. 100% all the time. I walk right up to the guys and they can't touch me. You could beat the game in a record time with this thing. It was deffinitly worth all that time shooting kerotans (frogs).

Bought HL1 today 2nd hand for 15 euros, even if its woeful its still good value.

I'll take that comment back. Horrible control mechanism, dated graphics (this was expected) and just not enough of that "one more try" factor.

I stopped playing after half an hour.

Next!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Balfa wrote:
    there's metal gear solid on the gameboy colour. largely considered to be that system's best game.
    Mind-bogglingly good game. I can't believe I lost my copy of it :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'll take that comment back. Horrible control mechanism, dated graphics (this was expected) and just not enough of that "one more try" factor.

I stopped playing after half an hour.

Next!

You have a pc and you get half life on the PS? Wtf. It's a fps, hardly any handle well on a controller. The likes of halo are bearable but not a pactch on the good ole keyboard and mouse combo.

BloodBath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I know it's sacriledge(sp?) to say, but apart from the HUGE dead-zone on the DualShock, I love playing FPS's with the two analogue sticks:p

Any more alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

The tenchu games?
    They're quite 'stealth-em-up'.

Is Tenchu ninja based?

I seem to remember enjoying one on the PS1

What about Ico?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Ico and mg3? They are not similar at all. Try hitman 2

In the Tenchu games you are a ninja. My brother has his for the PS. I played it a few times it was pretty good. How the other ones are I couldn't tell you.

Advertisement