Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Extension Reducing House Value

Options
  • 23-03-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I live in a semi detached house. The attached neighbour built an extension on to their house several years ago and believe it or not, they came on to our land by 6 inches, by "mistake". The other neighbour has just completed their extension (well it's not attached to their house, it's at the back of the end of the garden, a little house). They got planning permission etc.

I'm sure this has reduced to the cost of our house, in between them with no extension, not to mention the fact one neighbour came in 6 inches (that has been dealt with anyway, we got a gate out of it, not allot but something). So I'm just wondering what the story is. Obviously without them there, our house would be worth that little bit extra. Are we entitled to anything or is it just tough luck?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Get Orf Moi Laaaaaaand!

Sorry, it's, like, a reflex thing.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

If they posted planning permission notices and you didn't object then I'm afraid that at this stage it is just hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

What if we did object and they still got permission? I'm not sure what the situation was. I'm not head of the house :rolleyes:

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Gosh, six inches! Who would buy your house now, its ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Velcrow

I'll give you a Tenner for the house....

But seriously ...If it is on your land, it is on your land and you can ask them to remove those 6 inches... if you don't over time they will claim those 6 inches as their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Well that 6 inches is the foundation of their extension so if that's removed, the whole thing will have to come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I know you said you got a gate out of it but was there a written resolution over their encrochment on your property?

If not the issue still stands.

Planning permission is not required for extensions under a certain size but that certainly does not permit installing foundations on your neighbours property.

If anything this could fundamentally damage the value of their property as the extension could legally be threatened with removal at the owners cost.

(I've experience along these lines as I nearly bought a house with a similar extension a few years ago, almost identical violation of the boundry, legal situation was so dodgy I ended up passing)

Ask yourself a couple of questions.... are you on good terms with this neighbour and wish it to continue? Have you near-term plans to sell your own house?

It's a serious matter and I'd be inclined to have a non-confrontational heart-to-heart with the neighbour and mention your concerns. Give him a time-frame to come up with some kind of resolution (could be a payment for redrawing of the boundries?).

Imho this 6 inches hampers both the value and sale of either property but it was through their actions and they need to offer a satisfactory resolution.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

cormie wrote:
    The attached neighbour built an extension on to their house several years ago

1. You have 5 years from the date the planning wwas granted to DO SOMETHING about it, after that its your tough **** about the 6 inches.

2. Check those planning facts , copy the entire file, then go o your solicitor and do not pass Go .

Once the 5 years is up your case weakens dramatically.

Advertisement