Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHP mail() problem.

Options
  • 23-03-2005 2:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

When attempting to send mail using the mail() command in PHP i get a warning which reads

Warning: mail(): Failed to connect to mailserver at "localhost" port 25, verify your "SMTP" and "smtp_port" setting in php.ini or use ini_set()

I used this command without any problems before but now im running a server on my computer rather than using the college server and im guessing this is where the problem lies.

Ive looked around on the net for answers and had a look at the php.ini file but im just not sure what to change.Do i need to set up a mailserver on the computer aswell or can i somehow just use the DCU college settings?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

PHP uses third party SMTP applications to send email, typically sendmail. If you have none on your PC or if PHP is not configured to use it, then it'll fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

So ill need to install something like argosoft then i guess.Cheers.

Problem solved.Annoying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Or, you could probably just give it your ISP's SMTP server...

I had been thinking that but i couldnt seem to get it to work that way.I ended up just installing argosoft and eventually got it working.Cheers for the advice though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement