Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radio

Options
  • 23-03-2005 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭

Although this might be fairly obvious to most I'll say it anyway.

The only time I ever listen to the radio is in work when I'm forced to, its pretty much on all day. I always hated the mainstream radio stations (fm104, 98fm etc...), I hate the music, the dj's and the ads.

I quit my job about 8 months ago, but am now back again for a week to fill in for somebody, so again I'm being forced to listen to the radio. In the 8 months since I've listened to it not one thing has changed. Its all the exact same music, I don't think I've heard one different or new song on it and I've been listening for about 4 days now. It really does my head in. Even the ads are the same, and the dj's still talk the same ****e all day. Seriously, how can people listen to this tripe day in day out for months and years on end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Radio in the morning isn't bad (Ray Darcy or Gerry Ryan on the mainstream channels), followed by the news on RTE Radio 1, followed by Joe Duffy and Rattlebag. Then I stick on the headphones and listen to MP3s for a few hours before the Last Word on Today FM or Dave Fanning on 2FM. Tom Dunne (Today FM) plays good stuff after 7 if you're working late.

With a bit of channel juggling, you can avoid most of the crap pop 'music' on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Oh man I hear you.. FM104 and 98FM are the worst in my opinion. Playlists seem to consist of U2, Robbie Williams, Kylie, and a few other mainstream artists, on a constant loop. At the end of the loop, a 'dj' will talk a bunch of crap, maybe take a phone call from a listener who wants to 'sing' down the phone, then they'll have some ads.. then back to the shyte music.

Don't get me started on the morning shows either.. Holy Mother of God what are they trying to do to us.. They're all pretty bad, but FM104 are the worst. Complete and utter b*llocks! Strawberry Alarm Clock? Strawberry Kiss My Ass!!!

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I'd prob listen to Newstalk or RTE grand most of the time. They don't like that here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

in my last job we were forced to listen to 98fm all day for 1 and a half years. it was painfully bad stuff. and the amout of ads and the never ending news (consisting mostly of football results) and the playlist,they probably just bought now56 or something few years ago and cant be bothered changing the cd...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭ThatBloke

98FM, 104 FM, Spin FM and most of 2FM's daytime schedule are all awful ****e. Today FM is reasonable, they play the odd decent song and their DJs aren't "wacky and zany" like a lot of the other gob****es on commercial radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Those of you living in Dublin are spoiled for choice in comparison to those 'down the country'. You have NewsTalk 106, Phantom FM on the way and a few decent pirate stations. My choices are limited to the national stations, a few crappy local ones and BEAT fm, which takes the worst elements of 98fm, FM104 and Spin fm and serves it up for our aural pleasure. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

sounds like ye all need a change of scene.

move down to Roscommon or Longford to listen to Shannonside FM...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

the only music on radio id listen to would be the green room on saturday mornings and the late night show on today fm which is donal dineen i think who plays alot of stuff ive never heard before. the news/ sports can be very good though and the morning programmes are good if your in work and very bored.

spin fm is full of gob****es who have all perfected the d4 accent with a tint of american in it, never heard so much fake cheeriness in my life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

used to work in a place where you had -url=http://www.live95fm/]Limerick's Live95fm[/url] constantly.and when their discussion programme came on at 9am it would be swtched over to some dreadful dance pirate station.

nothing makes the day drag more than the same ten songs being played over and over again.

now I can listen to pretty much what I want. morning ireland, followed by either pat kenny or ray darcy depending on my mood john credon, news at one, liveline, rattlebag, onto the web then for newstalk 106, 5-7 live over to clare fm hen for irish trad, and 5live up all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

What about ryan tubridy he used to play a decent selection of music now his replacements rick o shea? and ruth scott seem to play pop song after pop song methinks i will be listening to ian dempsey in the morning now listen to today fm for the rest of the day anyway not to bad, better than 98fm fm104 etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

bunker wrote:
    What about ryan tubridy he used to play a decent selection of music now his replacements rick o shea? and ruth scott seem to play pop song after pop song methinks i will be listening to ian dempsey in the morning now listen to today fm for the rest of the day anyway not to bad, better than 98fm fm104 etc
    I cannot express my disdain for Mr.Tubirdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 bunker

I cannot express my disdain for Mr.Tubirdy.

Thought as much alot of people cant stand him

Advertisement