Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting servers on NTL broadband

Options
  • 22-03-2005 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭

A question - is NTL broadband completely useless for running a webserver?

IE. will they provide a static ip address for a small home business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

SachaJ wrote:

They'll disconnect you if they find you running any kind of server, be that a game or webserver. They wouldn't notice a game server much but a web server is constantly transfering data, it'd be shut down promptly. I read this in their contract with me (yes I was bored) and it's completely against their policy to allow any kind of server to be run.

Sorry.

*edit*

Also, no they're supposed to only offer dynamic IP addresses. I say supposed to, because my IP address has been the same for the last 2 months or so for me anyways. Anyone else experienced this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

is there any kind of small business broadband package they offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,231 ✭✭✭MrVestek

SachaJ wrote:
    I don't think so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

You could use your dynamic IP address with a service such as www.dyndns.org

If they don't enforce their caps at all I can't imagine them caring about whether youre running a server or not.
    However, it would be a patheticly slow website if you hosted it yourself. There are some great deals around for hosting. For around 40 quid a year youd be a lot better off buying hosting somewhere than doing it yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭MickFarr

Achilles wrote:
    Also, no they're supposed to only offer dynamic IP addresses. I say supposed to, because my IP address has been the same for the last 2 months or so for me anyways. Anyone else experienced this?

Yeah I've noticed that as well. My IP has only changed twice in the past year. Which is great as I can log into my office without having to change the office firewall settings. I've only had to change it twice but lucky I can access the firewall from here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

SachaJ wrote:
    I don't think so, but I'm not sure. The website only talks about data channels and leased lines - expensive options. Give them a ring and ask I guess.

Who says this planned annoucement is about increasing capacity? How do we know they won't say that they're no longer taking on customers and will shut down Internet services altogether within a year? :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

seamus wrote:
    Who says this planned annoucement is about increasing capacity? How do we know they won't say that they're no longer taking on customers and will shut down Internet services altogether within a year? :)

Because it would be financil suicide, they are currently in negotiaitions to sell NTL ireland and nobody would buy NTL if you couldn't offer BB. They must offer as good packages as possible to make them look more attractive to the buyers.

BTW I know you were only joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

SachaJ wrote:

Wouldn't hosting work out cheaper? What kind of webserver are you planning on running?

Kernel wrote:
    Wouldn't hosting work out cheaper? What kind of webserver are you planning on running?

Not sure if a webhost would be cheaper. Once you add up the likes of:

ASP.NET hosting
    SQL Server Database
    Backups
    etc.

If I could be decent upload speed of an ISP, I'd be happy. But so far I don't think ever 256k up is enough.

I want to host a site, but there will be some transactions etc on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

SachaJ wrote:

ASP.NET hosting
    SQL Server Database
    Backups
    etc.

If I could be decent upload speed of an ISP, I'd be happy. But so far I don't think ever 256k up is enough.

I would say go for the hosting solution. You can get cheap hosting from Irish/UK or even US companies which offer all the features you are looking for. Depends on how big your site is, if it is IMDB.COM then go for your own server/leased line.. if it's a website like boards or another small to medium sized website, I'd definitely check out a hosting solution.

You have to remember the costs of bandwidth, electricity, servers/hardware fails, reliability (how much uptime are you guaranteed? most providers offer a 99% guarantee).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

SachaJ wrote:

ASP.NET hosting
    SQL Server Database
    Backups
    etc.

If it is for professional use then a proper hosted solution is best (if expensive due to MS licencing). If ultra reliability is not important then you could rent a cheap basic http shared account but have the database running on the NTL connection (with dyndns). The traffic between the NTL connection and the hosted site should still be low provided that you are not storing images or multimedia in the database (these should be stored on the http server).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Hosting it yourself is equally expensive if software licensing is an issue. I use these guys in the UK: http://www.49pence.com/GoogleOffer.asp

I don't think that can be beaten for a dedicated server with reasonable pings. If you're into shared hosting, there are cheap ASP.NET/SQL Server solutions out there. I used one in the States for $35 a month including SQL Server, can't remember the name off hand. They weren't very good in any event.

You should consider using MySql instead of SQL Server. MySql isn't free but it's a lot cheaper. There's a decent ADO.NET adapter available for MySql that's virtually identical to the standard one. Unless you need stored procedure support, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A good business package, even with Windows hosting would cost you far less than trying to host a website yourself, and would be less hassle unless you need to manage it at the OS level yourself.

Check out the sticky at the top of the now-closed web hosting board for links:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=160

half the reason for setting it all up myself was so that I could manage the servers and its easier to work with the databases.

I suppose if I go with a host, it'll save me on firewalls etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Normally you go with a hosting company because you get access to a lot more bandwidth and redundant connections etc. If you want a firewall you'll need to either use a software one or pay extra for the hosting provider to provide you with one.

You manage the Windows environment with Remote Desktop so it's not really limiting you in any way. It's a bit slower than sitting in front of the machine but it's usually not that much slower in comparison to using Remote Desktop over a LAN.

You can co-locate as well, if you already have the equipment (but it has to be 1U normally). I haven't done extensive research but I think Hosting 365 are some of the cheapest in Ireland for co-location and you can get physical access to the equipment too. They have a good reputation too.

I incidently also host a solution in Ireland that's getting pretty decent traffic and I wouldn't host it in-house. The cost of bandwidth is firstly very high in Ireland, but in order to do it right I would have to install redundant connections, redundant switches, UPS, fireproofing, cooling, security, blah blah blah. A lot easier to just outsource that to somebody else. That's what most companies do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

This has all been split out of this thread on broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

*advertisement removed*

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

hmm. Sorry Stephen but I don't believe that advertising is allowed. I don't like editing other peoples posts at all, but thems the breaks.

Gav

Advertisement