Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ps2 slim - noise/loading times

• 23-03-2005 4:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭

well, i finally got my ps2 slim in game yesterday and am very impressed.
    i never realised it was so small!

anyway, a couple of things are bothering me..

firstly, the sound of the laser.. it's really annoying me. it reads the disc every 4/5 seconds and when loading a menu it makes that god awful grinding noise. the laser seems like it's constantly working really hard and judging by the sound it's making against the disc... this can't be good?
    is the origional ps2 this bad?

also, the loading times..
    the only game i can really judge is gran turismo 4 which takes about 30secs to load which i don't mind. but when trying to start a race, or exit a race, it decide to do a few loads in between.. each taking about 7/8seconds.. is this normal?
    also, is there a difference in loading times for the origional ps2?

ahh, it's a nice little machine but as it's the 2nd version of the ps2, surely these tiny annoying matters could be fixed without having to install a hd or new laser.

...or maybe i got a dud :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

[nicK] wrote:
    ahh, it's a nice little machine but as it's the 2nd version of the ps2, surely these tiny annoying matters could be fixed without having to install a hd or new laser.

...or maybe i got a dud :)

Its the 12th version.

There made using very cheap lasers so its not unlikely that you got a dud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

The sounds could be expected , being a small machine and all.
    But could you be more specific about the loading probs - what comes up on screen etc...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Agreed, the sounds are a bit annoying, the laser moving about is very noisy/sound of the disc spinning up and down.

Loading speeds are fine though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

There's an option in the system configuration (start PS2 with lid open) to speed up disc access at the expense of reliability/compatibility. I have it turned on (same with smooth graphics) and have never had any reason to turn it off. That might help. But yeah, loading track in GT4 probably would take about 5 seconds at least. I'll time it later today

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Thats nothing to do with any PS2 games, only if you stick a PS1 game ito it will you see any improvement with the 'smoothing' options and 'faster disc speed' turned on.

Presumably this is because the ps2 has a better drive then the original playstation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

yeah that's right petee..

if you play the original silent hill with disc speed turned up all the dialogue comes out speeded up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

ah, cool, didn't know that :)

Advertisement