Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

22yr old Male 2nd provisional

Options
  • 23-03-2005 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi I'm a 22 year old male who has no driving experience yet I'm on my 2nd provisional (because I ticked both B and A1 when I got a provisional for my Motorbike). Obviously not all insurance companies will quote me but surely some would.

If any one can give me advice on who might give me a decent quote I'd appreciate it big time. Also, what would be the best car (in insurance terms). Does anyone know if Gardai get discounts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Hi I'm a 22 year old male who has no driving experience yet I'm on my 2nd provisional (because I ticked both B and A1 when I got a provisional for my Motorbike). Obviously not all insurance companies will quote me but surely some would.

If any one can give me advice on who might give me a decent quote I'd appreciate it big time. Also, what would be the best car (in insurance terms). Does anyone know if Gardai get discounts?
    Best one I found was with britton insurance www.brittoninsurance.com. I'm 23 and had my provisional for 6 months, got a quote for 2k on a 1.4 Hyundai Accent (only catch is you have to pass the provisional ignition course). Best advice is shop around, you wouldn't believe the difference it can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

Does anyone know if Gardai get discounts?

no worries about penalty points like us mere mortals then?

i am sure the gardai would have a group insurance scheme, perhaps a chat with a few of your fellow camera operators may be called for?

best car, i imagine that would vary from insurance company to insurance company.. good idea to get yourself a copy of the golden pages and about 3 hours to spare and go through them one by one. Of course then whe you get the best quote go back to the 2nd lowest and see if they can better it

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

goto the hibernian website youll prolly get the best quote, ring em up and get a bit more off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

I filled out their online form and I was quoted only 1800 fully comp. That's so low (in Irish terms like??).
    I never even heard of them before you told me. Thanks a million Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

They're just brokers - your policy is probably with Hibernian.
    Try quinn-direct.com too - They gave me the cheapest quote when I got my insurance (22, but with full licence). They do have a rep for being quite the shower of bastards in the event of a claim though.

• Advertisement

I filled out their online form and I was quoted only 1800 fully comp. That's so low (in Irish terms like??).
    I never even heard of them before you told me. Thanks a million Declan.
    That's nothing, Change your details to being female and watch your quote half. HALF for jesus sake.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You could also add one of your parents on as a named driver. Some insurance company's give a discount for this. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Merrion

Change your details to being female
    That's apretty big sacrifice for cheaper insurance :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭oceallachain

Quinn direct quoted me 2300 and hibernian aren't quoting me online. I'm not a cop lads, but I heard that certain professions get good deals on insurance.

thanks again for all of the advice lads it's appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Best thing to do is get the goldenpages out and ring around as alot of these online quotes are very generalised.

• Advertisement

Merrion wrote:
    That's apretty big sacrifice for cheaper insurance :D
    Think of the advantages though! If I had a pair of breasts I don't think I'd ever leave the house! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

That's nothing, Change your details to being female and watch your quote half. HALF for jesus sake.....

true, my sister (25) on 2nd provisional with 6 months named driving was quoted 2,000 by AXA for a VW Golf 1.2 litre. Rang Quinn direct and quoted 1,000 for fully comp on same car :eek:

This was yesterday btw

Advertisement