Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exsiting Broadband, line clean, now line fails!

• 23-03-2005 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭

I have a question for the "Line Test" experts among you:

I have had bitstream-based broadband (UTV) for 18+ months and have always had a 100% clean line.

Currently, my router shows SNR Margin of 41.0dB and a loop attenuation of 11.5dB, i.e. a short, clean line.

Now the various line tests are showing "FAIL".

This may be due to the recent installation of Sky Multiroom, but it seems to confirm that there is no relation between a working Broadband service and failure on the "Line Test".

My concern is that this is going to complicate a migration to SMART or one of the other providers as everyone seems to use the one (apparently rubbish) Eircom set of results.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

If your sky service is connected to the phone line, then yes it could cause the line to fail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

check your line on netsources online checker and see what it turns up. It will also give you the date of the most recent linetest.

Also Smart are running ADSL2 which can it seems allow "failing" lines to still get service due to the longer range of this service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I recently moved house, and the line was failing here. The wiring in the house may have had an issue, disconnected at the copper junction(where it enters the house) and just installed a phone jack there. A few weeks later I passed the test.

Eircom's line test is a joke, they just dont want to come out and fix 35% of ireland's lines cause they are failing.

On a side note, thank God Smart entered the market, its the only reason for Eircom to wake up to increasing speeds!

☀️ 7.6kWp ⚡3.4kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭peterk19

im passing on the netsource test but i fail on everybody elses which leads me to believe that netsource are more leniant than eircom does anybody know is there any other reason for why this is happening?
    Pete

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭iano

One last effort to get a reaction from a technical point of view:
    Short (11.5dB loop), Clean (41.0dB SNR and zero errors) line with BB for 18+months now fails "line test" after installation of Sky Multiroom. DSL still perfect.

Are the "line tests" really this useless?
    What parameters are measured?
    What are the pass/fail criteria for (1) Bitstream (2) Smart ADSL2+ ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement