Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WEB Hosting

Options
  • 22-06-2000 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi Guys,
    Can anyone recommend a hosting company ? Im looking to host a few sites and register a few domains, Any good stories or horror ones ?

Any help would be greatful,
    Ed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

I'm fairly happy with these guys www.webworld.ie

But it's my first time paying for hosting so I guess I wouldn't know any different smile.gif

It's worth taking a look at their site anways.

Karla

• Registered Users Posts: 5,049 ✭✭✭Cloud

I use Interland.Net.

J.
    --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SHADOW

The ONLY place to host is with nomonthlyfees.com

You pay a once off fee of £180 dollars and then thats it. Your hosting lasts for 12 years, you get like 999 email addresses and sum fairly ridiculous amount of trafic thats allowed.

They have another site for your admin access, so that you can change all your options like: secure server, email manager, mailing lists, URL forwarding and **** loads of other stuff.

Also the tech support/ back-up service is Excellent.

just my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

Have 2 on interland with no problems.. yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Sifox

I use http://thinkhost.com - they are a US company and very good. Support is absolutely excellent. They are very helpful and always open to ideas on how to improve their service.

If you want a very good php/mysql host then I would go with http://kryogen.com they know linux/php/mysql inside out and always install the latest versions of software when it comes out (php4, zend optimizer etc)

If you go with ThinkHost tell them that Gem/Sifox.com sent you, I could win a handheld PC smile.gif

Gem
    S I F O X - Giving the Internet a makeover - coming soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭acidweb

Not to be blowing my own trumpet, but www.acid.ie have the cheapest Irish Prices. If you're looking to host a few sites, you would save a little moolah with us.

www.acid.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Impressive hosting package for 60 bills p/a I must say.

I've added your site to my "favourites- checkbackagain" folder. Bet that makes you feel all tingly inside !! wink.gif

80p.
    SAVE CHIP !!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭fizzy

i haven't been with them very long but i am very happy with http://www.34sp.com
    their basic hosting package is only £12 sterling a year and the support is excellent.

i have also registered domains from them (£20 sterling for 2 years) and i have used http://www.gandi.net who charge 12 Euro a year to register a domain but don't offer hosting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

The bandwidth is limited though with 34sp

A friend has had awful trouble with webworld. They switched servers without informing him, none of the old mail accounts worked as they went from linux to nt. The monthly price decreased and he wasn't told or billed less.

He lost his main admin password and tech support was slow to reset it. Slow as in weeks. I think he switched provider eventually.

[This message has been edited by yellum (edited 17-08-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭Enygma

I just moved from webworld just before they made the switch. A friend of mine lost all his CGI scripts, which were the main portion of the site. He tried his backups and now they won't run. He tried to email them to find out the story but no reply. I wouldn't recommend them at all anymore.

And yeah the tech support in there was always slow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭DC

As a web developer/designer I was using hosting in the States purely on the misconception that I could save money. However, I've had so much trouble with sites being down, not being able to get in touch with anyone over there, not to mention the poor performance, that I cannot recommend any US based hosting. Imagine having a customer ringing you twice a day for a week asking why the site is down!

I looked recently for an Irish hosting company with servers in Ireland and considered a few because there are a couple with decent offerings and pricing. In the end I went with www.dbaHost.com. The range of technology offerings is what swung it for me - the most on offer in this country as far as I can see. Getting ColdFusion (my preferred dev language) for under £400 per annum is hard to beat. So far I've been very happy with how its going.

The admin control panel is very good and I definitely recommend that whatever hoster you choose, make sure they have a decent control panel. Makes a big difference when managing things like email accounts.

Domain reg prices are fairly ok with them. Pretty much the same as most places.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Ronin

I just host things on my own box smile.gif

Ro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Hugh

I plan on getting an account at HostRocket.com ,my friend just did, Ive heard nothing bad about them, and they seem to get a lot of praise for speed and such, and there not overly priced too !

HostRocket

http://www.icklepix.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Stay away from any host that says unlimited transfer/bandwidth.

HostRocket are ok but I heard bad things about certain aspects of there support and billing.

I always reccomend www.readyhosting.com for 100 a year you get most major scripting languages, php, asp and cfm. SQL 2000 is also included in the package and for every account you get with them after the price halfs.

check www.webhostingtalk.com
    www.sitepointforums.com

to find more hosts etc.

www.hostsearch.com

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea,

stay away from webworld i've heard nothing but bad things about them.

When choosing someone make sure that they are contactable. e.g. people can be with a hosting company and not need anythign special done and think they're great. It's when they actually need info or things to be changed that there's problems.

Talk to people who've actually got things hosted, something a bit more than flat HTML. See what they've experienced.
    Look at their website, see how much information is there. E-mail them, see how helpful they are, this will give you an indication of what they'll be like when you're a customer.

Good Luck,

- Kevin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">E-mail them, see how helpful they are, this will give you an indication of what they'll be like when you're a customer.</font>

This is a very good indicator, but contacting the sales email address won't prove anything. Try the support email address, see what happens. Doesn't matter if they say you're not a customer, you can just say you made a mistake, but you'll quickly find out the response rate and the attitude.

This and reliability are the only things that ever really bothered me, because I run dedicated machines and manage them myself. I rarely use support, but it's nice to have it there nonetheless.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

mayhem#
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Eddie-Rocket:
    Hi Guys,
    Can anyone recommend a hosting company ? Im looking to host a few sites and register a few domains, Any good stories or horror ones ?

Any help would be greatful,
    Ed
    </font>

www.cedant.com
    I have tried a lot of hosting providers but haven't found anyone better then Cedant...

Advertisement