Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Predictions for the Heineken cup next stage

• 23-03-2005 5:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭

It hasn't been a good season for the Irish so far, but can they salvage something from it in the Heineken cup?

Who will get through 26 votes

Munster but not Leinster
    0% 0 votes
    Leinster but not Munster
    19% 5 votes
    Both
    38% 10 votes
    Neither
    42% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I see Leicesters forwards being too powerful for Leinster. My money (all 2 euros) would be on Munster to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Jilm

Trojan wrote:
    I see Leicesters forwards being too powerful for Leinster. My money (all 2 euros) would be on Munster to move on.
    I voted the other way round ...it seems supporters don't fancy their own teams chances much. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Biarritz Olympique would appear to be very much the finished article compared to even Leicester, powerful forwards and world class backs. The likes of Betsen cannot be ignored, Ireland for all the talent in the backrow cannot produce anyone like him.
    I wonder what the addition of Lima will do for Munster, will he provide go forward ball?
    Defensively he is of unquestionable value.
    maybe the IRFU would be better to merge Munster and Leinster and produce one team:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

I too am worried about Leicester forwards. Any news on Graham Rowntree, Ben Kay and Lewis Moody? If they are missing it could give Leinster a better chance.

Anyway I think Leinster can go through if they put in a massive performance up front and give Easterby and Holwell a platform to launch the likes of B'OD, D'Arcy (hopefully) and Hickie. Both Gleeson and D'Arcy have been included in the squad for the CL game at the weekend but Shaggy is still out. If Gleeson starts against Leicester I hope it would be at the expence on Big Vic and then we'll have a very decent back row.

As for Munster, well they too have a very touhg away fixture but I think they can scrape it if they improve massively on their group stage performances. They will have to be quicker to the breakdown and will need the likes of Stringer and ROG to have big games. Lima could have a big influence both defensively and in giving them good ball carrying option in the backs but could his lack of game time with his new teammates cause a problem?

I very hesitantly predict both to go through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Im predicting(hoping) both to go through because i dont want to think of them being knocked out .
    Hopefully we will see a six nations backlash from the international players who all have a point to prove.

• Advertisement

Jilm wrote:
    I voted the other way round ...it seems supporters don't fancy their own teams chances much. ;)
    Oh dear. For the record, I am NOT a Leinster fan and nor do I want to be :)

I strongly support Leinster, Munster and Ulster as fellow Irish teams, but my loyalty must remain to the west.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

CJhaughey wrote:
    maybe the IRFU would be better to merge Munster and Leinster and produce one team:)

um, so that would be Ireland then? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

neither.

eoin_s wrote:
    um, so that would be Ireland then? :D
    did you forget the other two provinces?Ulster and Connacht,
    Both have produced good players and will continue to do so.
    Tommy Bowe is coming through, and don't forget where O'Connor started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Munster's chances are dwindling now with O'gara out.
    maybe Lima can cover for OH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 punky bruster

Is O Gara definately out, I thought there was still a chance he'd be ok for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

just said on teletext he was defo out...shame but burke is a handy player as is holland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

for some unknown reason i fancy leinster to get through.Logic says that leicester's forwards should be too much but i think we just sneak it.
    Without O'Gara i fear for munster's chances.

its a pity about horgan for leinster...i think we a re such a better team when he plays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I believe Munster will not go through and I believe Leinster can win against Leicester.

I also hope (and believe to some extent) that there will be no english club let in the semi-finals! :D

Leinster to be minced and spat out by a Rampant Leicester,Forward power ensuring Leinsters demise.
    Munster to just scrape through in a low scoring game with Biarritz, Having their backs against the wall always makes Munster stand up and fight!
    Burke kicking and distributing well and Shaun Payne attacking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

would not be so quick to underate leinster, it still would have arguably the best backline in the competion, all they will need is just a inch of space. but yes they will have to match them in the pack. i think alot of irish pride is hurting after the 6N.

i would still go for munster though. more european experience and they rise to the big games very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Looks like the Chiropractor will not be making his Munster debut http://www.rte.ie/sport/2005/0330/munster.html

I give both teams a chance and would not be surprised if both won! I think that Munster have the tougher task of the two and if only one team was to go through I would say Leinster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

If anyones looking for a few good prices for the weekend this is what www.gamebookers.ie has to offer on the EC

HEINEKEN EUROPEAN CUP MATCH ODDS
    HOME DRAW AWAY
    1/50 Toulouse 25/1 Northampton 8/1
    9/100 Stade Franc 20/1 Newcastle 21/4
    Evs Leinster 18/1 Leicester 3/4
    3/10 Biarritz 20/1 Munster 9/4

HEINEKEN EUROPEAN HANDICAPS
    10/11 Toulouse v Northampton 0:18 10/11
    10/11 Stade F' v Newcastle 0:15.5 10/11
    10/11 Leinster v Leicester 1.5:0 10/11
    10/11 Biarritz v Munster 0:7.5 10/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

Leinsters odds improved by both D'arcy and Horgan making their fitness tests :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭spanner

just after seeing the toulose match, they are going to take some beating this year. brennan looked good when he came on but id say it is very hard to get your place on a team like that.
    i think they will win it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

daveirl wrote:

Watched the game and all i can say is sh!te. They never looked like they should be in the quarter finals but, 10/10 for spirit never gave up and fought to the bitter end.

On another note: i would like a sorta pool seeding to be brought into the HC. As you can see the likes of Newcastle/Northhampton reaching the quarters through a poor group is unfair, the likes of Stade and Munster getting thebum deal then.

Any views?

uberwolf wrote:
    Leinsters odds improved by both D'arcy and Horgan making their fitness tests :D

Have to look at Kidneys tactics and give him a huge clap(i hope). I presume the plan is impact subs through D'arcy,Jennings and Costello in the last 20 and blitz the defence.Potts and Gleeson just back and playing?

PS:Love the ubermod (SUPERMOD):D

daveirl wrote:
    Well it sux. Munster got no Italian side or Scottish and the likes of Leiceter,Wasps & Biarritz all lumped into one group?
    Suppose the powers to be know better but to look at the game last night and see a team that qualified and get torn apart with that score is kinda embarassing isn't it

Well another case in point Stade 48 - Newcastle 8
    Abolutely studid score for a 1/4 final of the HC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

daveirl wrote:

to be fair, i think that was to try drown out the lecister fans signing sweet chariot.

Altohugh with the success of leinster, you get alot of tossers jumping on the bandwagon who dont know how to act properly. There was a fw booing for the first kick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i "oo"'ed to shut them up singing swing low tbh :) pissed off by the silence of leinster fans though - in the north terrace midway through there were FOUR of us shouting that i could hear :/

daveirl wrote:

There's nothing wrong with that! You go to a match to support your team and to see them win! If you can do something to help your team win (i.e. booing and whistling when the opposing team has a penalty/conversion) then do it! I understand if some of you think it is disrespectful but personally, I don't... It's part of the game and the kicker being booed and whistled at knows it. It's nothing against him personally!

Then I understand your disappointment. I thought it was something you didn't want to see in rugby anywhere! As you said, there's nothing wrong with doing it in France but if it is something that should not occur in Ireland, what happened yesterday is hopefully an isolated incident...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

what happened yesterday is hopefully an isolated incident...

other than the school boys that was the only kick that it happened for - and that was due to sweet chariot

• Advertisement

Just to confirm (from a neutral ;)) it was due to the Tigers fans arrogance. Swing Low was booed until they stopped singing it, which unfortunately for their sake, was during their own kick. I was actually happy to see the Leinster fans (for once) making an impact on the opposition fans. All other kicks were awarded 99% silence.

Fair play Leinster fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Trojan wrote:
    Just to confirm (from a neutral ;)) it was due to the Tigers fans arrogance. Swing Low was booed until they stopped singing it, which unfortunately for their sake, was during their own kick. I was actually happy to see the Leinster fans (for once) making an impact on the opposition fans. All other kicks were awarded 99% silence.

Fair play Leinster fans.

would be silent except for the bloody children...bastids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

daveirl wrote:

Of course you have taken the Betfair commision into consideration when calculating the value?

• Advertisement

Advertisement