Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esat Ripping me of

• 23-03-2005 7:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I signed up for bb in june of last year with esat. I availed of my free 4 month trial but these people didnt tell me that on top of normal price i would have to pay 90 euro for the modem which after i quit with them i must give them the modem back. They did not bill me till january and then out of no where i get this final notice saying i owe them 220 euro. Do you know if in fact i am meant to be paying for this modem and if so why cant i keep it? Also how long more will i haver to wait for smart to come to tramore?

nicky

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

You got a 3 month trial the 4th month was free as part of your 12 month contract your automaically entered into if you didnt send them a letter to cancel and return the modem etc to them before the end of the trial. You then agree by not sending them back the modem with a letter to cancel your account to pay 90 euro installation fee (dispite the fact you already have it installed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If you read what you signed/accepted carefully you'd find that the 90 is a standard self-install fee levied after the third month of the trial if you don't explicitly opt out before then. The modem and filters remain the property of the provider and must be returned if you terminate your contract. You'll also find that they reserve the right to bill you for them if they are damaged or not returned upon terminating your contract.

It's the same for pretty much every self install package.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Thats really bad guys, also i cant send back my modem till end of twelve months? dam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Should read the terms of any service you sign up for.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

neon_glows wrote:
    Thats really bad guys

Not really...you should always read the T&C's of any product/service you sign upto especially if a 12 month contract is involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭diarmo

So is this €90 charge for "self install" still in place???

I thought EsatBT, according to a couple of threads here, were supposed to have scrappedthis €80/€90 charge depending on the service provided.

Could someone please shed more light on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

I think it's still on their website.

I can't believe that, a €90 'self install' fee....

"We're charging you for doing our work, even though you are doing it yourself".... thieving bastards.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Ruhan wrote:
    I think it's still on their website.

.... thieving bastards.

How can it be thieving when its clearly stated in advance? AFAIK isnt it passing on a charge that they have to pay to Eircom to get you connected in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

The €90 is waived if you take their phone package aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Thank god for phone packages. Was just thinking of the fit my parents would have I they got the 90 euro bill at the end of the 3 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Ruhan wrote:
    I can't believe that, a €90 'self install' fee....

"We're charging you for doing our work, even though you are doing it yourself".... thieving bastards.

That's not entirely accurate: for your line to be DSL enabled, someone has to go to your local exchange and do some setup. That's €90 in their book. If someone has to come to your house as well, that'll be another €90 (what they call an "engineer install" IIRC). It's pricey, but explainable.
    I don't think these fees can be regulated in any way, so all we can do about them is moan.

I signed up with eircom with the FREE FREE FREE offer, and had nothing to pay (DSL-wise) so far. They did charge me 2 months line rental in advance though. I'm thinking of switching to IOL's phone+BB package, since it's cheaper, but I worry about downtime period.

Cheers,
    JP

Advertisement