Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starbucks coming to Dublin

Options
  • 23-03-2005 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

This is crazy, surely we can produce a decent home grown coffee shop?

Okay, Bewleys turned crap ever since Campbells catering took them over but why do we need an American coffee chain to come here!

Wait till you need the 'pretentiuous brigade' swamping this place!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Irish Times property today - Starbucks set to buy the place beside Little Ceasar's on Dame (?) Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭spiderbeast

In the Irish Times property section today. Their first chain will open at College Green.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Overpriced coffee for people with more money than sense, i certainly will not be frequenting this place.......

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

jonny68 wrote:
    Overpriced coffee for people with more money than sense, i certainly will not be frequenting this place.......
    Good cheesecake though...

Although the Queen of Tarts further down the road is probably better... but that place is definitely pricey...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

I'll be going there for sure, I lived on their "Peppermint Hot Chocolate" when I was in New York for New Year. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to Insomnia, Cafe Sol and O'Briens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

This is crazy, surely we can produce a decent home grown coffee shop?

Okay, Bewleys turned crap ever since Campbells catering took them over but why do we need an American coffee chain to come here!

Who gives a...? It's just a coffee shop man, calm yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

why do we need an American coffee chain to come here!

Competition & choice?

Sounds like its you who's the pretentious one (or just anti-American?). You'll also be horrified to find out that yet another foreign (American?) coffee chain has opened its doors on Westmoreland St where Beshoffs was! Benjy's or something like that.

As an aside, I doubt I'll be a regular visitor to Starbucks. I had a few Starbucks coffees in a couple of their London stores this week and not one of them was any good. Except for a mocha that tasted exactly like a hot chocolate - I think the server forgot to put the coffee in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

dcr22B wrote:
    I'll be going there for sure, I lived on their "Peppermint Hot Chocolate" when I was in New York for New Year. It'll be interesting to see how they compare to Insomnia, Cafe Sol and O'Briens.

Mmm yeah, that was nice. It's a pity that the DCU Starbucks don't run a full menu - because that'd be heaven for me...

There was also this warm vanilla non-coffee based drink... it was great! ( I decided to look it up - I think it was: Vanilla Bean Frappuccino® Blended Crème. Yummy. I recommend everybody tries it - even the Starbucks haters: Go on, you know you want to...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

god damn americans americanising our society, why cant we just have our good ol european restaurants and coffee houses, like mac donalds-a good ol scottish name if ever i heard one

welcome the choice but i wont be choosing it, no thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭eskimo

Alana wrote:
    god damn americans americanising our society, why cant we just have our good ol european restaurants and coffee houses, like mac donalds-a good ol scottish name if ever i heard one

welcome the choice but i wont be choosing it, no thanks

Are you really gonna care? You're in town, you're walking to the bus stop and you pass by StarBucks, you're dying for a coffee, or even a bottle of water - are you saying you're honestly gonna make a conscious decision to walk straight past StarBucks? I don't think it's very likely that anyone will actually do that... Lets get real - when push comes to shove, who gives a damn who owns the company or what the name above the door says. You want a coffee - there's a coffee shop right there - you're gonna go in, it's that simple. It may not be ideal, but it's true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

<<It's a pity that the DCU Starbucks don't run a full menu - because that'd be heaven for me...>>

DCU have a Starbucks?? Wonder why UCD dont have one.... :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Starbucks is going to spread like a fungus through Irelnd. Once one shop is here, they're going to pop up EVERYWHERE

Thank god I don't like coffee

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

DCU Starbucks is a bit of a joke. It's Starbucks coffee sold by the same oul canteen.

Anyhow Starbucks make lovely hot chocolate. I'll enjoy getting it again, as I don't think I'll be back to the States all too soon.

Hopefully it's not an absolute rip off...but I'm not gonna hold my breathe on that one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭MissyKiki

Good cheesecake though...

Although the Queen of Tarts further down the road is probably better... but that place is definitely pricey...

EXCELLENT cheesecake. The evidence is on my hips :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

I think we should all Boycott Starbucks and support "decent home grown Irish coffee shops".
    What do you guys think?
    Do you really want 1 of these eyesores on every street corner of our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I think we should all Boycott Starbucks and support "decent home grown Irish coffee shops".
    What do you guys think?
    Do you really want 1 of these eyesores on every street corner of our city.
    No way man. They'd ruin the beautiful SparExpress & Centra Quick Stop facades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Armen Tanzarian

I think starbucks will be after something a bit more substantial than a couple of spars and centras......
    I personally cant wait to see all the star bucks coffee cups littered all over the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭Eoghan-psych

eskimo wrote:
    Who gives a...? It's just a coffee shop man, calm yourself.

Exactly - if we *can* produce a "decent home grown" alternative, Starbucks won't be economically viable. Simple.

Handy tip for Starbucks - refuse to use their silly names for cup size, and just say "large" when you want the big cup. About 40% of the time they will hand over the big cup of coffee, but only charge you for a little one.

That's what they get for having three sizes, all of which mean "large".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

You never know, they could all go down the drain after a while like Dunkin' donuts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Intel wrote:
    <<It's a pity that the DCU Starbucks don't run a full menu - because that'd be heaven for me...>>

DCU have a Starbucks?? Wonder why UCD dont have one.... :rolleyes:

DCU has one and a second one is opening at the gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Starbucks? I'll be the first one out there protesting. Protesting for two reasons: firstly, Starbucks is one of the main culprates of the global crash in coffee commodity prices which has thrust hundreds of thousands, possibly millions around the world into deeper poverty while enriching corrupt middlemen. Secondly, Starbucks's marketing model operates like this: flood a market, destroy the competition, then destroy uncompetitive Starbucks joints, destroy consumer choice and value for money faster than you can say 'half-fat-semi-skimmed-decaffinated-frappucino'.

I don't want Starbucks coming here. The likes of O'Brien's, Coffee Society and Café Sol say they're not worried, but I'm not so sure. Overall coffee prices are going to go up as a result say the market analysts.

You know, in response to the original poster, I think Dublin already has some great privately owned and small-chain coffee shops that serve really good coffee and food and I'd be gutted to see them disappear in favour of bland, characterless, globalised nothingness like Starbucks. Their coffee isn't even that good.

logo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Dathai

Heh, its opening right beside my bus stop :) Ill get meh bars in centra and meh hot chocolate in there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

DadaKopf wrote:

I don't want Starbucks coming here. The likes of O'Brien's, Coffee Society and Café Sol say they're not worried, but I'm not so sure. Overall coffee prices are going to go up as a result say the market analysts.

The coffee market in Dublin is a competitive one.

If Starbucks produce a better product and "user experience" (to use MS's term) then they will suceed - if not then they will fail (Dunkin' Dounuts has already been mentioned).

As for the global economic aspects of you post I cannot comment due to my own ignorance on the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Mmm... The paninis kick ass. Only have them when I'm at Birmingham International Airport though. So good at 7am to sit on the big cushy armchairs with a coffee and a stupidly overpriced panini waiting for your flight. Butler's is definitely my fave and if I had the choice I'd go there for my capuccinos. Unfortunately only an option for me when I visit Dublin because it doesn't exist over here in B'Ham. Uni in a year though and then all the coffee and chocolates I want/can afford.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭dazberry

There is also a Starbucks (run by the canteen ppl like in DCU) in the Ulster Bank group centre on George's Quay. Couldn't tell you what the coffee is like thou' I'm allergic to caffine :D

D. (caffine free since 1993)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

DadaKopf wrote:
    Starbucks? I'll be the first one out there protesting. Protesting for two reasons: firstly, Starbucks is one of the main culprates of the global crash in coffee commodity prices which has thrust hundreds of thousands, possibly millions around the world into deeper poverty while enriching corrupt middlemen. Secondly, Starbucks's marketing model operates like this: flood a market, destroy the competition, then destroy uncompetitive Starbucks joints, destroy consumer choice and value for money faster than you can say 'half-fat-semi-skimmed-decaffinated-frappucino'.

I couldn't say this any better myself. I believe in consumer choice but this crowd are just predators. I'm not a negative person but I really hope this company fails to establish itself in Ireland.

Advertisement