Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Body Placement

Options
  • 23-03-2005 7:57pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭

im inquisitive as to where and why you got tattoo's done on specific parts of your body...what i mean is a lot of people are into the chest or back or arm and a lot of people are not...just wondering what your views are on where to get it done on your body

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

There are various factors. One would be pain. Some parts of the body hurt more getting tattooed, some less so. Another would be the subtlety factor. An employer isn't going to ask you to take off your shirt just so they can check for tattoos, but if you've got one on your neck or low forearm they may see it and be put off. Personally, the areas I'd be interested in are: Shoulders; Stomach; possibly back and upper arm; and a really cool tribal design down my side and leg would be cool, but prohibitively large and expensive. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

im thinking of getting a scorpio design on my shoulder, at the front of my body just beside the joint of my arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭larryone

if it's done on any large muscle mass it'll hurt less. anything on bone or an areas where there's alot of tendons is going to hurt more. tats on the back are usually ok either side of the spine... once the needle actually is on the spine it'll hurt like hell, coz its right on the bone. shoulders, upper arm, chest, back, thigh, calf, are all ares where theres alot of muscle.
    some prople get a band around the upper arm... sorest part of it is right on the inside of the arm where there's very little muscle and loads of tendons and stuff.

I want a treble clef on one side of my stomach and a bass clef on the other, but I've a few years yet to reconsider. :)

i'd never be tempted to go for the stomach for some reason... dont knoe why.
    deffinitely sounds good tho =0)

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's an area that won't interfere with employers views on me and it's somewhere that can be used to good effect with a nice design.

I certainly wouldnt get a tattoo in a place that cant be covered by a suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Ruhan

I have tattoos on my shoulders, my right calf, my chest, my biceps and triceps.

You can see some of these if I wear a t-shirt. I wouldn't get anything that can't be covered by a suit either, and I won't wear short-sleeve shirts to work.

Having said that, get the tattoo where you want it. Depending on job prospects though, it may cause some awkwardness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Got my first tattoo on the side of my leg, because that was the only place it would fit besides my arm, which i didn't feel ready to have tattooed then (visible when you wear a t-shirt, etc) or my back, which i'm saving for something big. I've got one on the inside of my upper arm as well, which again isn't immediately visible, and one on each foot, which I just think is a nice place, if EXTREMELY painful. next I want to get stuff on the outside of my upper arm - having had tattoos for three years now I'm finally confident that I'll be comfortable with having them in such a visible spot. Also in the long run I want something stretching from the side of my my thigh to my ribs, because I like the idea of tattoos that link up your body parts and emphasise that they're part of a whole, rather than breaking you up into bits as all my current ones do. If that makes sense.
    besides my face and neck, the only places I'd be iffy about getting tattooed are my forearms, for work-related reasons, and my stomach, for possible pregnancy-related reasons. At the moment I don't feel like I ever want (a) a job with a strict dress code or (b) a baby, but people can change, especially in their 20s, so I'd rather not rush into these things.

sounds sensible and logical to me.
    thankfully i work in computers so they're not too strict about dress code, etc.
    while something on my forearm would be nice, i dont think i'd put anything there for a while yet.
    tattoos on feet does sound like an extremely painful idea... all tendon and bone. does it bleed more in areas like that?
    thankfully pregnancy is something i'm never going to have to wory about, but for some reason i still wooouldnt like any tattoos on my stomach. i'm not entirely sure why... possibly its the beer gut i'm likely to get when my metabolism slows down in a few years time...... (equivalent to the pregnancy concern?)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

I don't think my feet tattoos bled more than any of my other tattoos, but then it's hard to tell with all the ink all over the place. Getting the final touches added to one of them tomorrow, so I'll keep an eye on it, when I'm not gritting my teeth and going "remind me again why I pay to be put through this?!?".

Advertisement