Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you learn how to shoot?

Options
  • 23-03-2005 8:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in learning how to shoot sometime in the future, but I don't really know anything about it. How can I find out "beginner" stuff, and where do you go to learn? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

I learned on my uncles farm, shoting rabbits and crows. Soon as I was old enough to get a licence I joined a gun club.Went to alot of clay shoots,and generally improved with a few tips from seasoned shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

Doper Than U first of all i would like to welcome you to our sport and hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
    Doper Than U I learned to shoot in the same way as homershop. Are interested in hunting or target shoot. If it is target shooting that you are interested in. I would recommend that you go to a local range where members would be more than happy to help you get started. What part of the county are you in. If you are a student you should check to see if the collage university have a club. The is a Thread all ready on this fourm with links to target clubs in ireland.If you are more interested in the hunting side of our sport I suggest that you get in contact with you local gun club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Thanks for the replies. I think I would be interested in both hunting and target shooting. I like the idea of catching my own food, but would not be interested in hunting game for any other reason. I am drawn to the skill and accuracy part of shooting, particularly that of a sniper, but I don't imagine "sniper school" is something that you can just walk into off the street. Perhaps target shooting would suit me best to begin with. I know of a local pheasant shoot, I may ask them for information the next time I see them (won't be a for while, lol). Thanks for the info, I'll take a look at the links.

I assume you have to have a license to shoot a gun.. how do you apply for one?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭allnight_2002

I assume you have to have a license to shoot a gun.. how do you apply for one?
    To get a gun license you first go to either your local dealer or purchase a gun privately. If you go through a dealer you select the gun that you like pay a deposit. The dealer did gives you a letter for you local guards which includes the make type and S/N of the gun you wish to purchase. if you do not have a criminal record and the guards do not believe that you would be a danger to your self or the public you should get your license. ( You must be over 16 years of age. and you will probably be ask to have a gun safe as well)
    if you have any more questuions dont heaste to ask we will be more than happy to help you in your quest.To get a gun license you first go to either your local dealer or purchase a gun privately. If you go through a dealer you select the gun that you like pay a deposit. The dealer did gives you a letter for you local guards which includes the make type and S/N of the gun you wish to purchase. if you do not have a criminal record and the guards do not believe that you would be a danger to your self or the public you should get your license. ( You must be over 16 years of age. and you will probably be ask to have a gun safe as well)
    if you have any more questions don't haste to ask we will be more than happy to help you in your quest.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

I am drawn to the skill and accuracy part of shooting, particularly that of a sniper, but I don't imagine "sniper school" is something that you can just walk into off the street. Perhaps target shooting would suit me best to begin with.

:eek: Hi Doper, just a small bit of advice. If you are approaching clubs / shooters looking for advice, do not mention you're aspirations of becoming a sniper. You probably won't get many offers of help.

all the best,
    f.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I am drawn to the skill and accuracy part of shooting,
    Sounds like target shooting might be your game.
    Check out this thread for clubs in your area.
    Make yourself known at your local gun shops too. Get chatting to the owner/staff and other customers. This is a direct link straight to your local shooting community, and you'll get lots of help and information once they've gotten to know you a bit

With that in mind, I'd suggest you lay off this stuff-
    particularly that of a sniper, but I don't imagine "sniper school" is something that you can just walk into off the street.
    Nothing sets off alarms with the shooting community and the Guards like someone fantasizing about being a 'sniper'.
    My apologies if I've taken more from your post than you had intended, but the word 'sniper' has bad juju in this country, and is strenuously avoided by anyone concerned about the respectable image of the shooting sports.
    Take a look at this thread for the latest use of the word in the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Just read that report -- Jesus. That's not what I meant at all!

I had honestly no intentions of becoming a sniper, it was more that the idea of slowly setting up your target, hitting it perfectly accurately, the timing and precision that made me say "sniper". I was looking for something that would replicate that kind of thing. I think it just goes to show how little I know about shooting. I won't mention it again, apologies for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 shoto

I too am interested in learning to shoot. As well as local clubs would it be beneficial to join the fca. Any fews lads ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭benhurt1

shoto wrote:
    I too am interested in learning to shoot. As well as local clubs would it be beneficial to join the fca. Any fews lads ?

join the fca for range disipline and safety lessons......but you will only fire live ammo once a year (annual range practice). Unless you are a good enough shot to make it onto the shooting teams in which case you get about an extra 4 days practice!

Join a club if you are interested in shooting!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭macnas

I wouldn't recommend joining the FCA just for the shooting, there's a bit more to it. As Ben says it's once a year for your ARP unless you make a team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

A bit late (problems with the phone line here, sorry 'bout that folks), but here's the guide to the applying for a firearms licence in case it'll be of use.

Advertisement