Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB looking for testers for 2Mb product

14567810»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

So i am right so in assuming this. I will get upped to 2mb with no cap and normal speeds during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Thank you for your reply OldTitan!

So if I understand your message correctly, I am paying nearly double simply to have a 8:1 contention ratio as opposed to 20:1? That's fine. But are the below speeds what I can expect from now on even though I only share my line with 7 other customers (as opposed to 19)?

Downstream 232 Kbps (29.0 KB/sec) 250 Kbps (inc. overheads) :(
    Upstream 347 Kbps (43.4 KB/sec) 374 Kbps (inc. overheads) :(

Furthermore, I tried downloading a couple of files from www.download.com and I'm always at >30KB/s. :(

I don't know but the above results seem awfully poor to me for a 2Mbit connection with a 8:1 contention ratio. :(

Your complaint is noted Steffano and definitely seems valid, but gives you the fully contended capacity still. Unfortunately there are a number of guys who run their machines 24/7 with PtP traffic and use the maximum available to them upstream and downstream. That is one of the consequences of running an uncapped service unfortunately. We were running the trials to see if various QoS tools would improve things. It seems not.

Although I do pass most complaints that I read on the Boards to the IBB guys to have a look at, the only way you get it resolved is to send an e-mail to support@irishbroadband.ie. How do you expect to get problems fixed from posting it on the Boards? If support does not fix it in a reasonable time, then complain to them again and c.c me in on the complaint as OldTitan@irishbroadband.ie. You can regard that as an escalation of the complaint, and it will get appropriate attention. If the problem is a number of PtP machines on your side of the network, we will improse constraints on them in terms of our Fair Usage Policy to allow other users the capcity to burst to their max on a more regular basis.

I do try to read the Boards on a daily basis and look at the type of complaints to see where there are network issues to deal with. I do not necessarily deal with specific issues from the Boards - posts are anonomous and IBB does not know who is who when they see a post. I have had some detail from some of you, but the Boards e-mail only allow 150 e-mails. Meaning that I have to delete the older ones. I have them stored in an Exel file, but I simply do not have the time to look up each nick and try to recall who it was from seeing a complaint on the Boards. I assume you have lodged it with IBB and the support people are dealing with it and that I will hear about it if they haven't. Where I have been e-mailed issues that have been ongoing, such as what Legion experienced, I will escalate the problem to resolve it.

That may not sound very helpful to you, but I cannot ignore the internal processes and procedures within the company that are in place to ensure that customers get their problems resolved. I am not a customer support staff member, otherwise I would have the time to look at it. IBB is building out a national network, and it takes a lot of time and effort from many people, including myself.

Cheers

OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

OldTitan wrote:
    Unfortunately there are a number of guys who run their machines 24/7 with PtP traffic and use the maximum available to them upstream and downstream. That is one of the consequences of running an uncapped service unfortunately. We were running the trials to see if various QoS tools would improve things. It seems not.

So what are you going to do about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

But from everyones feedback traffic shaping certainly takes place on connections so consistent b/w hogs will be shaped...what is the problem here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

;) Hi OldTitan,

Of course I have escalated these issues to IBB Customer/Technical Support. It has been with them since Wednesday 23rd March. Unfortunately, I never hear anything back... All I get is "I'll escalate it to NetOps" or "send us an e-mail with your ping tests...". That's it.

You say my poor speeds are probably due to people using the maximum upstream and downstream available to them. To be honest, I don't think that's the case. I never (ever!) had such slow speeds in the 6 months I've had IBB. In my opinion, the QoS tools are causing all these problems. I bet you if QoS is deactivated for a single day (saturday for example) everybody will be happy with connection speeds! That could be a good test to carry out! ;)

I would like to end this message by thanking you and Wise Man for all the efforts you are putting in to help us all! I really appreciate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

OldTitan wrote:
    such as what Legion experienced....

Is experiencing !! but hopefully to be resolved tomorrow ;)

For those of you who are interested:

My connection speed this evening (18:00):

Downstream 1903 Kbps (237.9 KB/sec) 2055 Kbps (inc. overheads) :D
    Upstream 2532 Kbps (316.5 KB/sec) 2734 Kbps (inc. overheads) :D

Still a few spikes with ping and a few packet losses but nothing major and IBB currently working on that issue...

Has QoS been disabled? :p
    OltTitan/Wise Man, is one of you behind this massive improvement?

My connection this evening (20:20):

Downstream 1843 Kbps (230.4 KB/sec) 1990 Kbps (inc. overheads) :D
    Upstream 239 Kbps (29.9 KB/sec) 258 Kbps (inc. overheads) :(

Ping up and down... :(

Downstream 1191 Kbps (148.9 KB/sec) 1286 Kbps (inc. overheads) Upstream 1236 Kbps (154.5 KB/sec) 1334 Kbps (inc. overheads)
    thats mine usually a tad higher for this time but i'll take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Sounds like you want a 2mb leased line Steffano.That's the only way you can be assured of ~ 250k/sec up & down.

P.S. I've never seen someone moan as much as you on boards.We'll ok... maybe I lied - Shinz was worse at one stage, but seriously, what do you expect for 48 yoyos per month????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I had my call out today and we thought the problem was resolved but it looks like I'm back at square one, its sort of a similar problem to yourself Steffano Im lucky if I can get a web page to load at the moment, your lucky with your 29.9 KB/sec upstream I cant even get a proper reading due to the lack of upload, if I do its usually around the 5.0KB/sec mark. Theres nothing wrong with my downstream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

carbsy wrote:
    but seriously, what do you expect for 48 yoyos per month????

No doubt he expects the level of service everyone else is getting? And if you read his posts, he is paying nearly double everyone else ;)

carbsy wrote:
    P.S. I've never seen someone moan as much as you on boards.We'll ok... maybe I lied - Shinz was worse at one stage, but seriously, what do you expect for 48 yoyos per month????

Firstly, if you don't like my posts, don't read them.

Secondly, I'm not moaning, I'm just reporting to other IBB users, OldTitan and Wise Man how my connection is doing.

Thirdly, I have a business connection for which I pay €87.70 EUR a month.

Lastly, what do you mean by "what do you expect for 48 yoyos per month"? I expect the best mate! If you don't give a crap how your connection is doing, good for you! I need a connection that works really well because I compete in online games. I don't really care about download/upload speeds... And I know IBB can do better because up to 3 weeks ago it was perfect!

Now stop posting stupid provocating messages you [censored] :(

No doubt he expects the level of service everyone else is getting?
    At least some people do understand...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Just got my 2meg :D . If it gets limited to 256/256 during the day, i'm going to be quite irate. By "quite irate", i mean i'll be ringing em up complaining. Unfortunately i haven't been around during the day, but from my testing when i've been in college, it seems like i've been limited every day this week.

SO much for trying to FTP to my files at home when i'm at college :mad: We'll see how it goes tomorrow. And for €50 a month, i expect a good service. I do not expect to be limited from 0700 til 1900 every day. I'm paying a premium for an uncapped service, that can reach 2meg/2meg when contention isn't affecting me. I don't pay €50 a month for a service that is only 256/256 for half of the day, every day.

I was limited to 230 both ways again today

Advertisement