Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IBB looking for testers for 2Mb product

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Done! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

gsand wrote:

yeah essentially you are paying more for upload-128k to 2meg is quite a leap in terms of upload. you are also getting unlimited or so they say even though some people think shaping may be in operation on all packages.

whats shaping ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

A curious thing is that I've always seen a lot more fluctuation in the upload speed than in the download speed. I suspect that IBB has setup the network to be asymmetric in favour of download speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

traffic shaping

duno exact definition but my understanding is when they see someone hogging too much bandwidth they limit the connection/port etc to a certain speed for either a set duration or till they feel you are back in acceptable levels...netsource were king at it once upon a time...naturally they were offering a supposed 'unlimited product' at the time too :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

gsand wrote:
    traffic shaping

duno exact definition but my understanding is when they see someone hogging too much bandwidth they limit the connection/port etc to a certain speed for either a set duration or till they feel you are back in acceptable levels...netsource were king at it once upon a time...naturally they were offering a supposed 'unlimited product' at the time too :s

Yeah they do it to me all the time. (well every day really)
    They limit me to around 25-30k a sec during the day and then after 6pm
    they let me go back up to full speed again.
    I'm a heavy user and I totaly deserve it so i dont mind especially cos
    even while limited, the pings are still really good to my favourate servers
    for battlefield. : )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Im running of Atrium and i have been getting some bad pings the last 2 days. I was talking to Draper who is off ballycoolin and he has noticed the same. Any one else seen bad pings the last 2 days????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I'm in cork but dublin towers are spiking me badly can be up to every2 mins. (since about last friday) Gaming pings are bad and I'm getting high choke on some servers... The upgrade has something to do with this me thinks

Yeah perhaps, my self and Draper are on the 2 meg but it is up and down as old titan said it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

Im running of Atrium and i have been getting some bad pings the last 2 days. I was talking to Draper who is off ballycoolin and he has noticed the same. Any one else seen bad pings the last 2 days????

Still major problems for me I'm afraid ( Ballymun )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

I'm now getting exactly 235kb for the last two days before 6 and 1.92 mb after 6 :confused:

What are they up to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

Ciaran500 wrote:
    I'm now getting exactly 235kb for the last two days before 6 and 1.92 mb after 6 :confused:

What are they up to?

Ping better tonight !! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Ciaran500 wrote:

What are they up to?

I actually get the same reading well i got 231 :P and after 6 its ok

I get kinda slow speeds before 6 and good speeds after 6. Pings were still not great last night. was spiking over 100 now and again and averagng about 60-70 instead of the usaual 30 i had been getting till Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

On the 1meg package, tallaght tower:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1876ms, Maximum = 2787ms, Average = 2328ms
    Control-Break

They must be up to something there at the moment. Tis making browsing similar to the dialup experience at the moment :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 OldTitan

Hi Guys,

As part of the testing IBB has been trialing a few different QoS tools to ensure that we can control "bandwidth hogs" when we increase our bandwidth.

IBB will announce their bandwidth increases next week, and will use the data gathered from the trials and your feedback on the Boards to ensure that the QoS tool used is sensible and does not end up frustrating users.

All existing users will be upgraded during the course of April on a batch basis. Watch the press next week for details.

Cheers and thanks for all the feedback - good and bad. It all helps IBB to improve the service to the clients. Whether you flame IBB or praise IBB, it is all feedback.

OT

On the 1meg package, tallaght tower:
    Ping statistics for 82.195.144.58:
    Packets: Sent = 20, Received = 20, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 1876ms, Maximum = 2787ms, Average = 2328ms
    Control-Break

They must be up to something there at the moment. Tis making browsing similar to the dialup experience at the moment :(
    Mutant,

At that point you were maxing out your connection as you were flat-lining the bandwidth available to you as you were uploading and downloading at the same rate. It was probably just overload that caused the spike in your latency. I've monitored Tallaght all day and it had a few spikes up to 50ms here and there at the tower, but in general was running smoothly the whole day.

Cheers

OT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭gsand

hey OT

was just wondering if you had anything you could tell us about getting the 512k people to 1meg and then to 2meg shortly...

I have now called 4 times about it and people keep saying yes ill sort it for you no problem, you have the right equipment (which im not sure about tbh)blah blah blah...

one guy last week said he would give me a call back about going to 1meg anyway and then into a trial possibly for 2meg but alas no call :(

id like to see the 2meg/2meg product ya know but with this sort of ongoing customer service problem smart seem very close to a possibility :s

also 1 other question...are IBB willing to quantify what they feel is a 'bandwidth hog'? im pretty sure its not me as i havnt used it that much in the last few months but would be nice to know none the less what the expectation is from 512k-2meg b/w wise.

nice to see you have been keeping an eye on us btw :)

Ping has been bad since Tuesday................ gaming is too bad to play !

anyone having the same problems ?

OldTitan wrote:
    As part of the testing IBB has been trialing a few different QoS tools to ensure that we can control "bandwidth hogs" when we increase our bandwidth.

Can you/IBB tell us what type of usage might trigger the wrath of the QoS tool? I appreciate that it might set a target for some people, but I'd say a lot people would like to know ballpark what is considered acceptable usage. It's something that comes up a lot around here.

OldTitan wrote:
    Mutant,

At that point you were maxing out your connection as you were flat-lining the bandwidth available to you as you were uploading and downloading at the same rate.
    At the time i believe i was downloading at 25kB/sec. I noticed i seemed to be maxing out at that rate after i posted those ping stats. Looks like i was hit by a QoS tool :p

EDIT: You should also change the specs of breeze on your website. Advertising it as completely unlimited and then applying QoS tools to limit people's speeds is misleading. It'd be fine if you advertised it as having no cap, but with a "fair use" policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Does this mean existing 2mb customers will be bumped up to 3-4mb or beyond? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

carbsy wrote:
    Does this mean existing 2mb customers will be bumped up to 3-4mb or beyond? ;)

And then carbsy woke up...

Drapper - I will get the guys to look at the problem. Main issue seems to be at our router from Tallaght to the datacenter.

QoS - with variable usage it will depend on the number of customers online at the time. If you are streaming 24/7 downloads and uploads it will automatically trim you down and fix you to a pipe during peak times instead of varying the rate.

What is acceptable usage? Will depend on how busy the area is that you connect to, but should generally be around the 1Gb per day mark.

1Mb customers will move up to 2Mb and 2Mb customers will move to 3Mb.

Mutant Fruit - according to your MRTG's you were doing just under 1Mb upstream and downstream at that stage........ Perhaps you need to check if you have any PtP stuff running in the background and make sure you cap the traffic on it. ;)

OT

OldTitan wrote:
    Mutant Fruit - according to your MRTG's you were doing just under 1Mb upstream and downstream at that stage........ Perhaps you need to check if you have any PtP stuff running in the background and make sure you cap the traffic on it. ;)

OT
    *goes off and checks that his wireless router does actually have mac filtering on and looks for virii/downloady things*. Of course, its always possible i misread the download meter. Or something was running that i didn't know about.

Still, thanks for letting us know what the story is with the upgrades and suchlike.

gsand wrote:
    hey OT

was just wondering if you had anything you could tell us about getting the 512k people to 1meg and then to 2meg shortly...

also 1 other question...are IBB willing to quantify what they feel is a 'bandwidth hog'? im pretty sure its not me as i havnt used it that much in the last few months but would be nice to know none the less what the expectation is from 512k-2meg b/w wise.

nice to see you have been keeping an eye on us btw :)

Gsand,

In fairness to IBB's poor sales people and Support people - they have not been informed yet. The decision was only made formally on Tuesday by the executives and will be in hte press next week. So you guys get a sneak preview.

IBB has very few 512kbps customers. Most of these would be on RipWave and then the rest on our legasy system, Breeze Access II. If you are on Breeze Access II, we will turn these into 1Mb connections, but it will not be as good as the Breeze Lite and Breeze product technically or performance wise. One operates on GFSK and the other on OFDM and is the precurser system to WiMax. Major diff technically.

On RipWave - we are simply going to drop the price for the 512kbps, give it a 8Gb cap and make it an entry level product, as well as introduce a 256/256kbps starter product for dial-up users who want to switch to Always On and get their telephone line back.

IBB will also introduce an entry level 1Mb residential product with a 10Gb cap for people on 512kbps who want to upgrade, but for whom downloads and latency would not be a major issue.

The 2Mb product at €40 plus VAT and the 3Mb product at €79 plus VAT will be where most of the Boardsters will want to be. No caps and no limitations....

If it is not clear, post here and I will answer them. I cannot alwasy get to everything same day but I will try to get back to the Boards each day.

If anyone does not get satisfaction from IBB's customer service, you can e-mail me direct with all the details of what the problem is, when you called/e-mailed, who you spoke to, response you got etc. Do not abuse the e-mail address guys as I get hundreds of e-mail per day plus having to do the day job.

IBB does not mind dealing with problems - all of us, Eircom, BT, IBB etc have them. But IBB is a young growing company and we try to give good service where we can. Hence the reason we take the Boards seriously. OldTitan@irishbroadband.ie. Only if you feel the need to escalate a problem that is enduring. For general stuff, PM me or post on the Boards. Wise Man is on the Boards as well to help out.

OT

OldTitan wrote:
    The 2Mb product at €40 plus VAT and the 3Mb product at €79 plus VAT will be where most of the Boardsters will want to be. No caps and no limitations....

Boardsters might also wonder, being the mathematically capable lot that they are, how it is that something that is 50% faster costs twice as much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Is there any reason why my connection is limited to 235kb/s everyday since the upgrade. But at around 6 it shoots up to 2mb/s. I doubt I triggeered the QoS, I downloaded about a gb yesterday.

I'm on the Lucan mast and my pings are still perfect.

OldTitan wrote:
    Drapper - I will get the guys to look at the problem. Main issue seems to be at our router from Tallaght to the datacenter.

Thanks m8 would be nice to have it fixed for the weekend.

D

Well cause I was helping to test the 2 meg line I had my downloads going 24/7 shutting down the odd time to play some gaming. The qos explains why i was getting the 25k in the day time. I`ll stop th 24/7 now as youre qos seems to be working now.

The poor ping problem seemed to be fixed last night. pings were good. But then i was no much later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Hello everyone!

I'd like to start this message by saying "Thank you, OldTitan, for all your help and efforts!". If everybody in IBB was that customer focused there wouldn't be Eircom BB or EsatBT BB! ;)

Pings were very bad yesterday all evening. Then, all of a sudden, they became perfect again (can't remember what time exactly though - it was late enough)! I'm still getting little spikes here and there but I believe this is an issue experienced by me only and IBB are looking into it (for the past 17 days...).

I have 2 questions also:

- That whole "QoS"/"Fair usage policy" only applies to residential customers right? I'm a business customer so I hope it doesn't apply to me! :confused:

- Contention Ratio: I had a 1MB with 8:1 before the 2MB upgrade. I believe I am now on 2MB with 16:1. Is that correct? I'd really like to be on 2MB with 8:1!!!

Thank you!

Advertisement