Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thunderstorms - More Common nowadays

Options
  • 23-03-2005 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭

It seems that almost every time a rainbelt passes through this country it's nearly always Thunderstorms following in afterwards. They seem to be far more often mentioned in weather forecasts than they used to be say about five years ago. John Eagleton was talking about significant thunderstorm activity tomorrow. I would like to know if the figures back up my theory on more frequent thunderstorms? Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Warning Rant Ahead

More than when?? In the last 100 years... maybe but our climate
    has been changing for millions of years and changes all the time..
    I do not have any knowledge of specific figures for TS activity
    in the past but i would be sure of myself when saying that in the
    past TS's have been more common here than they are now..

Climate Change is happening but it is natural..

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's much easier to detect them now - lightning can be picked up with radio.

"The 30 minute lightning detection facility is provided by three Boltek detectors located in Kirkwall, Canterbury and Galway."
    http://www.metcheck.com/premium/sferics.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's just the time of year for it now, Mid March to August...

Springtime heat versus colder Wintertime air gives us storms around now... later on the heat buildup over land versus the cooler sea air rushing in to take it's place gives us those nasty convective summer t-storms.

Then there are the imported Spanish Plumes, where day-time thunderstorms migrate north over the Bay of Biscay to Ireland for night-time.

IMO, thunderstorms are more common now due to Global Warming and more intense variations between warm air masses and cold air masses, and Ireland is in the firing line! So, storm lovers - the future is bright - litterally! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭sunset

Thunderstorms and global warming? Just consider - (a) Thunderstorms have a very short lifespan and require many conditions before they fire off. (b)There is no meteorologist on this earth that can predict thunderstorms from temperature data. So, I think that global warming theories have little to tell us about thunderstorms just at the minute. But I think they are great and I wish we saw more of them!

Advertisement