Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ftp?

Options
  • 08-09-2001 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭

hey guys

my company are think of giving online support to our call engineers. the need a site for large(ish) files and folk here are talking about ftp. i believe i will be the one ask to do it but i dont know how. do i set up a ftp site or something. i know little about ftp. help would be greatly appriciated.

even if im not asked i would like to know how to do it anyway?

thnx

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Yes, you'll need an FTP server. What OS are you running and is it in-house?

-Ross

When I was young my mother told me not to look into the sun; so once, when I was six, I did...

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

win98. not in-house.

j

"Why not put the match in a shark tank, with real live sharks, hungry sharks, and the only way to beat your
    opponent is to stuff them down a shark's throat and pin a shark".
    -Kurt Angle to Lilian Garcia

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

one of the pcmags this month (pc plus or format) has an ftp hosting utility on the coverdisk. Haven't looked at it yet.

yep. PC plus, proggie is called: serv-u 2.5m

might be crap but you never know!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jaarius

thnx alot lolth

i'll try and check it out.

j

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

actually, it's the september issue. I think october is on sale now (blue cover - predominantly).

You might find a newsagent that hasn't caught up, but if you're stuck, gimme a shout and I'll see about getting the prog to you.

meanwhile, check out

http://www.tucows.com

select windows (or whatever)
    go to europe and select Ireland.

search in the text box at the top of the page for ftp server

churns out about 5 or 6 pages of freeware and shareware ftp server programs (seem to average about 2mb). Don't go nuts, but try out more than one - I usually stick to 5 cow rated proggies unless it's doing exactly what I require.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

Doesn't '98 come with some 5hitty web server anyway?

-Ross

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

serv-U is a very good ftp prggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Inf

Doesn't '98 come with some 5hitty web server anyway?

Yeah i think it does, i think its called "Personal Web Server". it has asp support afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 futont

You dont need a web server unless you want to host a website. As the last guy said there, Serv-u is good. guildftpd will also fdo the job, Very easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Guildftpd if verry good once yea keep it updated the last version had a few exploits in it but the current version is fine.

• Advertisement
Advertisement