Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What funny things have you seen in the library?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

While in the Hammo I notice this guy standing in front of the desks next to me for 5 minutes or so. The desk was completely empty and he had a puzzled expression on his face. He comes over to me and goes "Hey did you see anyone take my stuff?". Thinking someone had taken a book he was using or something I told him I hadn't seen anyone near it. He then says "But someone's after taking my bag, all my notes and the 3 books I just took out". He heads off and a few minutes later he returns with 2 of the staff and the three of them stand there puzzled over the empty desk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Hence why the sign is there.. do not leave your personal belongings unattended!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

aparently if you leave your desk for more than 15mins the staff can take your stuff away and let some other guy sit there if it's busy. but that sounds like someone has just knicked all your man's stuff. I hope it was his mate thou. there's been a few laptops whipped from the arts libraries hasn't there been?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 KillerRabbit

ApeXaviour wrote:
    My favourites.. for simplicity and originality:

2) Shake the person's hand when he/she enter the lift.

19) Stare, grinning, at another passenger for a while, and then announce: "I've got new socks on!"

36) Play the harmonica. (After reading this I'm gonna give a shot at learning a blues riff on a harmonica I just found)

53) Without letting anyone see, press the emergency stop button. Act surprised and start talking to yourself "its ok, it wasnt your fault you killed your family. It was SATAN, damm you SATAN! DAMN YOU!!!" Then press the stop button again and act as if nothing has happened.

71) Suggest to the other passengers that you all should play a game of twister. Then get out the board and lie it on the floor

98) While the doors are opening, hurriedly whisper, "Hide it...quick!" then whistle innocently.
    If someone does all the odd numbers, I'll do the even numbers. In the Berkerley.

Apex won't do nothing he's in a wimp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Kevin_rc_ie
    This message has been deleted by ApeXaviour. Reason: Ah no need for that (it was really me though)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭sleepingbeauty

hey sb how the exams going? all scholarly?
    meh not really..yeah i think i did incredibly badly :rolleyes: (combination of being sick for 3weeks, going out too much, and just not studying in general ;) )
    But not to worry at least i got a little study done for the summer :D
    Ive not even finished the exams yet, one more on wed..but its redmond maths so itll be p*ss easy- yay :)
    Who the hell makes up the exam timetables.. whoever they are they're evil..eating into my holiday :mad:

you know these exams were all optional? makes it harder to moan about em...apparently maths or some class had exams 3 days in a row...which i imagine is worse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

aparently if you leave your desk for more than 15mins the staff can take your stuff away and let some other guy sit there if it's busy. but that sounds like someone has just knicked all your man's stuff. I hope it was his mate thou. there's been a few laptops whipped from the arts libraries hasn't there been?

doesn't have to be staff, and technically if you don't have a sicker on your desh saying when you left, they can persume it's longer then fifthteen minutes.

are you sure it doesn't have to be staff? random people being allowed to move stuff leads to an awefully odd question of liability.... who's responsibile if something goes missing? you were authorised to move the stuff by the lib...so if something fell out its not your fault type stuff

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Darth Bobo wrote:
    are you sure it doesn't have to be staff? random people being allowed to move stuff leads to an awefully odd question of liability.... who's responsibile if something goes missing? you were authorised to move the stuff by the lib...so if something fell out its not your fault type stuff

Notices up in library saying you shouldn't leave your stuff there, therefore if you do it's at your own risk, and neither the next person at the desk nor the libery is liable. Also none of the signs about the 15 minute rule mention library staff, they just say you can take the seat.

apparently maths or some class had exams 3 days in a row...which i imagine is worse...
    i think chemistry people had like 4 days in a row which is crazy :eek: think tps may have had similar...anyway yeah not nice!!

who's darthsomething?

i'm confused.

i think chemistry people had like 4 days in a row which is crazy :eek: think tps may have had similar...anyway yeah not nice!!
    Yeah if i got that ever i'd probally fail half the exam i need my cramming time ;)

who's darthsomething?

i'm confused.
    Please tell me thats scarcasm.

nope. but i understand. how i got confused:

i didnt read darth bobo's bit about the chemistry exams in a row.
    I assumed sb wouldn't have edited the tags herself so i was looking for someone called Darthsomething.

maybe i am dumb.

yeah i couldnt really remember what it was and i was too lazy to scroll..oh so tired..
    sorry if i confused ya there kev ;)

yeah i couldnt really remember what it was and i was too lazy to scroll..oh so tired..
    sorry if i confused ya there kev ;)
    Poor lil babies......

Whats the story with last bus from heuston being at 22:15 while the last train is in at 22:30?!....

I assume lib is closed on monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Darth Bobo wrote:
    Whats the story with last bus from heuston being at 22:15 while the last train is in at 22:30?!....
    This is strange because...?

ApeXaviour wrote:
    This is strange because...?
    Because my train will arrive into heuston at 22:30 tomorrow night , and i'll be stuck getting one of those stupid luas yokes prolly into town...... Bus would leave me off outside tcd(and is free with me ticket)...

• Advertisement

luas is also free with your ticket afaik...

its supposed to be, but only gets put on ur ticket in some stations. Pearse/Grand Canal have never been told about the luas thing and as such don't believe it exists and it isn't on tickets comming from there..... And yet if i get it in limerick it is... go figure...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Enforce the 15 minute rule! Its essentially self regulating and you have to be proactive to get your space!

A friend of mine was in the hamilton and queued in to get in at 9am and get a seat. He noted someone else came along beside him and left some stuff and then went away ALL day and didn't return until 3pm to study!!!

That happens all the time - just move their stuff over unless some sitting beside the spot does tell you they have just popped out and sit down.

If EVERYONE were to follow the rules, the study slots would circulate much faster the library would work better........

In the Ussher, you can chuck their **** down the central chimney and allow a big collection to accrue at the bottom....... punish them!

You should also use the postgrad study carrells, you ARE allowed to, but you must leave if the postgrad it is assigned to comes along. However, these tend to be free as postgrads do not use them significantly more approaching the summer months, unlike undergrads.

Don't tell people about those postgrad places stupid, most people don't know u can use em, its great.....

And i know loads of people who use the lib as a bag storage area during teh day...... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

You should also use the postgrad study carrells, you ARE allowed to, but you must leave if the postgrad it is assigned to comes along. However, these tend to be free as postgrads do not use them significantly more approaching the summer months, unlike undergrads.

In the postgrad reading room? I thought they were forbidden on pain of death!

It's free even without your ticket. ;)

Pet wrote:
    In the postgrad reading room? I thought they were forbidden on pain of death!
    no he's talking about the PG section of the library(hamilton i assume)

All the libraries have them - they are also slightly larger in surface area than the undergrad desks........

You won't need them if you personally enforce the 15 minute rule - you do get muppets who go around reserving their spots for 6 hours without ever using it, denying someone else the opportunity for that time......

DrIndy wrote:
    All the libraries have them - they are also slightly larger in surface area than the undergrad desks........

They are smaller than the normal desks in the hamilton.... well it works out as such anyway... though the quiet makes up for it

so what happens when ur sitting in some dudes place when he comes back?

in true trinity fashion he says nothing and collects his stuff and moves off or do u have to explain the 15 m rule and tell him to go kcuf himself some where else?

• Advertisement

Tell the person concerned politely about the 15 minute rule, apologise for taking his seat, justify your actions and suggest they do the same...... but do not back down.

You are in the right, not them and if they have difficulty with this policy, they should talk to the duty library staff who will totally side with you....

like I said, it is self enforcing and you need to enforce it to make it work....

You could also act as if you are mildly insane (mumbling, voices etc...) to scare them off.....

Advertisement