Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TSB refuse to cancel a Standing order

Options
  • 24-03-2005 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

I had a standing order out of my account each month on the 19th. I wrote to tsb 1 week before the 19th requesting them in writing to cancel and not to pay the standing order.

On the 19th they paid it anyways. Do I have any redress at all with the bank? I told them in writing to cancel it. They haven't. Where do I stand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Bond-007 wrote:
    do I have any redress at all with the bank? I told them in writing to cancel it. They haven't. Where do I stand?
    Did you inform them of the mistake?? They would presumably just pay you back.
    It is unlikely they would refuse to compensate you.

If not, its time to give ifsra a call. 1890 77 77 77

• Registered Users Posts: 3,611 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Are you sure they got your letter, and in time?.
    An Post can take a ridiculous length of time to deliver a letter, Paddy's day was Thursday, and the 19th was a Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

Bond-007 wrote:
    I had a standing order out of my account each month on the 19th. I wrote to tsb 1 week before the 19th requesting them in writing to cancel and not to pay the standing order.

On the 19th they paid it anyways. Do I have any redress at all with the bank? I told them in writing to cancel it. They haven't. Where do I stand?

Idiot :rolleyes:... you could have cancelled it immediately through the telephone banking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

bounty wrote:
    Idiot :rolleyes:... you could have cancelled it immediately through the telephone banking
    Nope, They never accept cancellations in writing.

For the record I posted it on a monday in the same town as the bank is in.

Bond-007 wrote:
    Nope, They never accept cancellations in writing.

For the record I posted it on a monday in the same town as the bank is in.

I assume you meant to say 'only' were you've writen 'never'....

but anyway your still WRONG

to cancel a standing order you ring the telephone banking, ive canceled many s.o. this way

you screwed up by assuming you needed to do it in writing, stop digging and face facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,151 ✭✭✭samo

I have found when I banked with PTSB that they are not able to cancel an instruction to an account without confirmation in writing.

This differs to AIB/BOI in my experience who will! In any case there is something to this effect in the 'banking charter' that certainly if an instruction was received and monies are still paidout the bank are liable to refund it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My bank (BOI) wouldn't allow me to cancel a standing order by telephone
    had to be in writing

I don't think he is wrong at all

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭leahcim

I cancelled a standing order over the phone with BOI last week.
    You have to be setup with banking 365 to do it AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

As far as I recall payments like this go into BACS pending 3-4 days before they leave your account so depending on when they received the letter there may not have been time for them to do it before the 19th this month.

Postwise, An Post use centralised sorting now I believe so the fact that the bank is in the same town as you posted wouldn't make a difference.

On the telephone banking side of things, I've cancelled SOs over the phone before. It shouldn't be a problem once they've verified your details and you've gone through a security check. I would imagine that this policy varies from bank to bank though.

HTH,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

bounty wrote:
    Maybe he could, but do you have to be quite so rude about it?

adam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dahamsta wrote:
    Maybe he could, but do you have to be quite so rude about it?

Yes, what an asshole.

The vast majority of banks won't do much unless it is confirmed in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

it varies

Some insist on a written instruction, others will do it on the strength of a phonecall.

Either way, to physically process the cancellation involves a simple procedure on the Bank's computer system. The computer is not going to insist on a signed piece of paper being shoved into it before it will process the cancellation. :rolleyes:

in summary - yes it can be done without a written instruction

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

bounty wrote:
    I assume you meant to say 'only' were you've writen 'never'....

but anyway your still WRONG

to cancel a standing order you ring the telephone banking, ive canceled many s.o. this way

you screwed up by assuming you needed to do it in writing, stop digging and face facts

This Ladies and Gentlemen, is one of those people who wouldn't say boo to a mouse, so he comes on here and takes all his pent up frustration out (anonymously) on the first person who asks a perfectly valid question - pathetic.

This Ladies and Gentlemen, is one of those people who wouldn't say boo to a mouse, so he comes on here and takes all his pent up frustration out (anonymously) on the first person who asks a perfectly valid question - pathetic.

MX510.jpg

Movies_-_David_Letterman.gif<<<BOO

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Advertisement