Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

watch out PSP owners/buyers, Sony will not replace dead pixels

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

eek that is just too much.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

LOL, did you follow the link at the end of the story? You might get a surprise!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Its Boards! yay we are famous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

i know this dead pixel thing has been around for ages, but its a bit stupid that ur gonna pay €200+ for a product which MAY be faulty. I think its kinda taking the piss, people stand for it, so they do it. Being expected to pay €200+ for a product which may or may not be perfect is just rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Man that's just being cheap. You wait forever for the damn thing and when they do release it they give you one with a faulty screen. That just sucks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭OY

Infini wrote:
    Man that's just being cheap. You wait forever for the damn thing and when they do release it they give you one with a faulty screen. That just sucks.

I agree. That does suck!

So let me get this straight. After i buy one if there is big black blotches on the screen where pixels are damaged that it tough???

That sucks indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Its Boards! yay we are famous!

LMAo !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Afaik this is only on the American model and not on any of the Japanese models, as these were the ones which had the fault origionally.

Also this is due to the TFT screens. Any TFT screen has an accecptable dead pixel level, its due to the complicated way they are created. If you buy a TFT Monitor for your computer you may find some dead pixels. All TFT manufactorers try to keep the amount of dead pixels as little as possible.

If you were to find dead pixels on the PSP you have to go looking for it. I think there is a assumption that there is a big block of dead pixels or that a third of the screen is covered in them. I have one dead pixel on my screen and I will not notice it unless I go looking for it. It does not bother me. It is not the fault of the PSP itself it is a flaw that has existed in ALL tft and monitors.

That is why a lot of firms selling computers [eh: jes.de iirc] will offer you a pixel check on a monitor you buy for 10eur or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well from the article it looks like they're changing the screen manufacturer to someone else with better quality and experience in the area so at least when I do buy one it won't really have any of them or they'll be too few and insignificant to actually notice (unless you look for them).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They are changing from Sharp (one of the leaders of LCD tech) to Samsung. More than likely because samsung will give them a cheaper deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Any LCD screen can get dead pixels. I have 1 on my PSP but I only know it's there because I specifically looked with different coloured backgrounds/sources. I don't notice it at all.

The screen on the current PSPs is a lot better than what I've seen of the "new" ones. The new ones look dull, and the colours are a lot worse. The current screen is just plain fantastic tbh.

Where you see the new ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Comparison pic on the web, don't remember where specifically but I'm sure it was through somewhere like Hardforum or Penny Arcade's forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Infini wrote:
    Well from the article it looks like they're changing the screen manufacturer to someone else with better quality and experience in the area so at least when I do buy one it won't really have any of them or they'll be too few and insignificant to actually notice (unless you look for them).
    The SHARP screen used in the JPN models is extremely bright(and therefore battery-draining) and a bit too expensive for them i think.

So they are now buying Samsung screens for the USA iirc, these are cheaper to make; and unfortunatly a bit less bright/good.

But we won't know about the quality for sure until Friday!

Accepting Dead Pixels is a bad idea, they are dictation to us whats faulty which is a bad sutuation to be in. IV said before that I reckon under Irish law you could probably have a go at making them take it back, but whos going to go to court over 1 dead pixel.

Oh and I gave the link/story to Joystiq, I send them loads of tips :D

koneko wrote:
    Comparison pic on the web, don't remember where specifically but I'm sure it was through somewhere like Hardforum or Penny Arcade's forums.

There ye go.

Your first name wouldn't happen to be Shigeru???

:p

Nope why?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭savemejebus

samsung do some pretty good tft screens so the switch doesn't necessarily mean a huge drop in quality.

• Advertisement

Those comparison shots are of two LCD screens.

Not PSP screens.

Rew wrote:
    Nope why?? :confused:
    :lol: as in Miyamoto!

it was an hilarious joke!

It was :confused:

Ciaran500 wrote:
    Those comparison shots are of two LCD screens.

Not PSP screens.

yeah that link looks like interweb nonsense-mongering!

I just read the Forbes(!) review of the PSP and it says the screen is bright and great, and the pics look sexy, so it looks like the new screens are brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

This policy doesn't stand well beside Nintendo's "instant-replacement" DS policy for even one dead pixel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

If you buy it online and it has a dead pixel, cant you send it back under some distance selling law?

S.

Mine doesnt have any dead pixels, but a mates has a wierd dot on it, which is not a dead pixel but a fault in the "glass", when its off, you can still see it (if you look really hard). but its about the size of a pin head and is almost invisable so he is not bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

yeah its well known the japanese PSP screen is bit better then the USA screen however not by much

Its a well known rumour that the USA screens are inferior. Any proof been posted yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

LookingFor wrote:
    This policy doesn't stand well beside Nintendo's "instant-replacement" DS policy for even one dead pixel :(

Do Nintendo do this in Europe? All this talk of Nintendo being so great when it comes to dead pixels and Sony not certainly doesn't correlate with my personal experience.

My DS has a very annoying dead pixel in the middle of the touch screen that Nintendo Japan won't replace, saying that's only their policy in America. So I'm stuck with a DS with a dead pixel while my PSP is 100% perfect, meanwhile I always here everyone saying how great Nintendo are about dead pixels and how rubbish Sony are. *shrug*

• Advertisement

Everyone who brought a DS back got it exchanged here AFAIK.

Advertisement