Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trapeze boat

• 24-03-2005 1:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

Bit of a long shot but would anyone know where i could get al loan of/have a go on a trapese boat e.g. 420. Its kinda critical for the Instructor course pre assesment that i hope to be doing in a bit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jbjwilliams

There are open sail days with 49er's on every so ofter (usually out of Dun Laoire) and you will get practice there. Or you could try and emailing the DMYC to try and get crewing for someone in their Frostbite series.
    good luck,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭Spinnaker

I think Glenans still have 420s at their base in Collanmore (Wesport)

Also i believe an infomal club called "Sailing in Dublin" or SID based out of the coalquay in Dunlaoighre might have one

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

Irish National Sailing School on the West Pier in Dun Laoghaire have Laser 2's for rental that will do the job. Since when is the pre-assessment done in a trapeze boat? I did mine in a Laser 2000 without trapeze - admittedly two years ago now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Felstorm

it says it should be done in a three sailed boat with trapese but it also says alot of other things and according to a friend of mine who did it last year he barely got asked half the things on the test

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭TJM

I found that the easiest boat to do the preassessment in was the Laser 2000 - as a hard chined boat, it tracked nicely even without a rudder, making the rudderless sailing quite easy. I'd say that a fireball would also be relatively well behaved for the rudderless sailing. Something like the 420 / Laser 2 might be more difficult for rudderless -those boats, with their rounder turns, are probably slightly more difficult to balance using the sails / trim / heel alone.

As for the other stuff - it's true that you're only asked a small fraction of what's supposedly on the syllabus. The trick is knowing which fraction. The RYA Yachtmaster illustrated quick reference is very useful for any background meteorology, nav., rules of the road etc. that you might need.

• Advertisement
Advertisement