Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows Server 2003 & USB FAT32 HDD

• 24-03-2005 2:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have just installed Windows Server 2003 (Data Centre) onto my laptop with the intented of learning the ins and outs of it. Anyway, I planned on getting the drivers for the laptop down and using my USB HDD to transfer them onto the laptop.
    Now, the portable HDD is FAT32 250Gb and is not being picked up by Win2003.
    Well, it is....new hardware found and it lists it in Disk Managment but refuses to see the contents or even assign a drive letter. Basicly is doesn't see the filesystem....it's blank. Drive is seen fine in XP SP2.
    Any ideas?
    Am I missing something obvious? :/

PS
    I don't want to convert the HDD to NTFS as I use it on 98 machines too.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

*bump*

Any ideas, anyone? :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

You could use partition magic on a regular desktop to split the harddrive into 2 partitions. You can resize the partition that is FAT32 to a smaller size without reformattin the entire thing and then format the section of free space you created in NTFS format. Then you'd only need to transfer the files you wanted to the NTFS partition and you could use it on server 2003 (although the NTFS partition wouldn't be displayed on Windows 98).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Cheers for your suggestion Infini.

Yeah, I was hoping I not to go down that road. I don't want to have any ntfs partitions on this drive you see. I just can't understand why it's not reading the file-system. I have since got around this by using a UDB flash drive....one of them 128mb keyring jobbies. That works fine formatted with FAT & FAT32.....go figure? :/

Cheers anyway. :)

Advertisement