Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you find out what fish are in your local river?

Options
  • 24-03-2005 3:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

Without catching them all of course. I haven't the first clue how to fish, but I'd like to learn someday. We have fishing rights on the river Dargle which borders our land, and I'd love to know what fish are in there. I know there is trout, but what else might there be? Any chance of crayfish or eels? Thanks for any information.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

http://www.fishingireland.net/dublin/dngame.htm

Fish Species
    Sea Trout, Brown Trout and Salmon.

There ya go, fishing for brown trout with a worm on a float rig can be good fun, and is a nice way to start into it. Sea Trout tend to feed mostly at nite, and Salmon are just plain awkward :)

Make sure you've sorted out any licenses you need before starting, and if possible, return the fish alive. Every fish that gets killed is one less to spawn and one less to try and catch again, and we're losing alot of fish at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Oh I see, I was really only interested in fishing to eat. Not to worry, I'll get some fish from the fishmonger... or is that the same thing? The last thing I want is to contribute to the overfishing that's going on. Thanks for the info, I understand you're only allowed to take one fish, is that per day, or week, or season?

Advertisement